Wiki Posts
Search

Keep Your Boarding Pass Out!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Keep Your Boarding Pass Out!

At the Pre-check line at FLL this morning, the doc checker is scribbling something on boarding passes and the dragon manning the metal detector is screaming at people "Keep your boarding pass OUT as you come to the metal detector! If your boarding pass is on your phone, tell me."

Not wanting to take any chances, I put my scribbled on boarding pass in my pocket and told her I had a mobile boarding pass. She waved me through without even asking to look at it.

Security theater at its finest.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
I wonder if we can thank the infamous Marilyn Hartman for this? Obviously she's found a way around at least the boarding pass check process.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: AA
"Dragon" :-)
Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:48 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
At LGA for many years, pax had to have their bp in their hand as they passed through the metal detector--they stopped that about 4 years ago.
[this was not required at JFK.]
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by nrr
At LGA for many years, pax had to have their bp in their hand as they passed through the metal detector--they stopped that about 4 years ago.
[this was not required at JFK.]
Yeah, LGA required the BP in hand long after the TSA started doing airline revenue control.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Just checking one more time for SSSS.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Or checking someone without LLLL hasn't snuck into the special line for special people?
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:31 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
No, this is clearly some of the "randomized" security measures that will keep them terr'rists on their toes! Put your BPs away! No, keep them out! Why do you have that BP out?
Old Feb 22, 2015, 12:04 pm

Disregard what I posted.

Last edited by xero9; Feb 22, 2015 at 12:25 pm
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by ESpen36
What's the point of checking for anything when all anyone has to do to avoid the check is say "I have a mobile boarding pass"?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:53 am

A couple of months ago at MSP, I got yelled at for having my boarding pass with me. I probably was holding on to it because I got yelled at for not holding on to it at a different airport.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:04 pm

Seems like every time I go through FLL there is at least one TSA agent yelling instructions. In particular, there is one short guy with white hair and a high pitched, and usually hoarse, voice screaming the same instructions over and over (including keeping out the boarding pass) as loudly as he can scream. One time he was yelling something about suspicious looking luggage will be flagged for extra screening along with the owner. My black roll on has a couple of small stripes of white cloth tape on the top to make it easier to identify. He starting yelling about the bag when I put it on the conveyor to the x-ray machine and demanded that it and me receive extra screening. When I stepped through to the other side and picked up my bag, the agent told me to just go on my way. It was then I noticed most of the other TSA agents were watching and laughing at his antics.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: AA, UA
Sometimes, the agents will check your boarding pass after going through the machine. I always keep my boarding pass in my hands when going through the x-ray, unless I have only a mobile boarding pass.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:38 am

Last year, I had a woman at the PreCheck line Fort Lauderdale go crazy because I had a mobile boarding pass. She had no idea what to do as I passed through the metal detector.

It was her own plunge into cognitive dissonance: "He must carry his boarding pass in his hand, but his boarding pass must also go through the x-ray machine." Her brain went haywire, and then she gave up with a dramatic sigh.

That was the same day that I watched another TSA woman scream at an elderly, hearing-impaired wheelchair. She was frisking and swabbing this woman endlessly. The TSA woman said, "We're checking to see if you have a bomb." The elderly woman exclaimed, "A bomb?" (very loudly) "Why would I have a bomb?" In another moment of questionable logic, the TSA woman said, "That's why we're here."
Old Mar 6, 2015, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Randyk47
I wonder if we can thank the infamous Marilyn Hartman for this? Obviously she's found a way around at least the boarding pass check process.
Better not let her go through at security checkpoints. If she done it again. She could go to jail. She had too many trespassing warnings. If she sneaks again? She will be arrested for trespassing charges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.