Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How the TSA beat fliers into submission

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:47 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by mikeef
I understand your point of view. Tens of thousands of people die in car accidents every year. I don't ever want that to happen again. In my opinion, it's due to our lackadaisical attitude toward lives and safety. To rectify the problem, I'd recommend a 20 MPH speed limit and drunk driving checkpoints every mile. Police should also be able to search cars at will and randomly, just in case.
20 MPH is far too fast. A friend of a friend of my cousin's neighbor was killed by a car doing 12 MPH. There should be a man walking in front of every car carrying a red flag (lantern at night).

SUVs, trucks and semi-trailers are dangerous at any speed due to their mass. All vehicles larger than a standard passenger sedan should be banned. Think of the children.
I've been talking to my boss about working from home full-time. There are a lot of trees in my neighborhood, and if one fell on me, it could do some serious damage. Also, I have to cross two busy intersections. The grocery store delivers just about everything I need, so I'd never really need to leave the house.
Plus it's much easier to stay under your bed if you never leave the house. Although if you're allergic to dust you could die of an allergic reaction under there. Hmm, that's difficult.

(True: ) My company had a statistically insignificant run of accidents involving staircases some years ago. That is, a few of the accidents were very bad, but the fact that several happened over a few months did not represent a systematic problem or sudden increase in the danger of stairs per se. Nevertheless we got numerous emails and signs telling us how to properly climb stairs. In some buildings (not the ones where the accidents occurred) the staircases were renovated with more substantial handrails or lots of yellow-and-black tape.

People are stupid.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: UA Platinum, SW A-list
The TSA was, is, and always will be little more than a jobs program. The intent being to demonstrate to squeamish, gullible flyers that we're doing "all we can" to combat terrorism. Waste of time, money, and significant loss of productivity. And, as usual, we have the gall to impose our standards on the rest of the world.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:33 am

The grocery store delivers just about everything I need, so I'd never really need to leave the house.

Mike
If they don't deliver it, Amazon probably will. Check out their subscription service, it's amaaaazing.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by eghansen
I support the TSA fully, absolutely and completely with all my heart and soul. I don't ever want another 9/11. In my opinion, what happened on that day was our fault due to our lackadaisical attitude toward lives and safety. The problem has been rectified and I never want to go back.
if the TSA was in control on 9/11, it would have not made any difference as box cutters were legal on that day.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Makecry
So you are one of those who views every brown guy with suspicion. Good luck then.

On topic: I find TSA to be rude usually. I'm usually prechecked courtsey of global entry but I still find them rude.
I thought that poster was being sarcastic. To your second point, I absolutely agree. I often find the agents very rude. I wouldn't necessarily expect the same nature of friendly service from a TSA employee, but I do expect service that isn't surly and an attempt at professionalism. I have a feeling I shouldn't hold my breath waiting.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:34 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by ThinWallet
I generally agree with the posters in this OP-ED.

My position goes even further:

- if I have been TSA Pre-checked, then I should be able to carry ANYTHING with me: AK-47, Chain Saw, Water, 10 laptops, a lighter, or whatever I want.

If my position sounds too extreme, just think of it: in a normal day of my life, I generally have the right to carry all of those things, legally, in most places. But I choose not too. I don't walk around in the streets of the city with a chain saw, nor do I carry an AK-47, I don't smoke, so I don't have a lighter.

If you can not trust the trusted travelers, then the trust is not worth a penny.

Mark my words: the next terrorist attack is not going to come from within an aircraft. It will come from outside of the aircraft.
Such attacks have already happened, going back to the 1960s, either by terrorists or as accidents in war zones, like the recent MH17.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rcial_aircraft

I don't agree with the whole concept of "trusted travelers", as I believe that screening should be the same for all passengers, but I will say this - trust is not a binary proposition. It's more like an analog dial - it goes up and down on an infinite scale between "complete trust" and "no trust". Those in PreCheck are simply given a higher place on that dial by TSA than the rest of us.

Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
Including the last one in Ukraine shot down by white guys?
I don't consider that a terrorist act. It was collateral damage in a war zone. It doesn't even rise to the level of a war crime, despite the fact that the target was a civilian airliner, unless those who fired the missile knew or suspected that it was a civilian airliner.

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
"I frankly could not care less. Now go find your supervisor for me. We're going to have a discussion about your job performance."

And, yes, I have really said just that. More than once. And, yes, I flew that day.
Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful! I have been searching for the perfect response to that particular load of cowflop for years, and this, I think, qualifies.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
20 MPH is far too fast. A friend of a friend of my cousin's neighbor was killed by a car doing 12 MPH. There should be a man walking in front of every car carrying a red flag (lantern at night).
12mph??

I read about a case where the speed wasn't measured but was probably well under 5mph. (Admittedly, a freak case. A little kid ran behind a backing car. A minor bump, the injuries amounted to a nosebleed and being knocked over. Unfortunately, he passed out from the fall. Observers did nothing because it's was a head injury, you leave those for the paramedics. The kid drowned.)
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:30 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
12mph??

I read about a case where the speed wasn't measured but was probably well under 5mph. (Admittedly, a freak case. A little kid ran behind a backing car. A minor bump, the injuries amounted to a nosebleed and being knocked over. Unfortunately, he passed out from the fall. Observers did nothing because it's was a head injury, you leave those for the paramedics. The kid drowned.)
Oh.

My "example" was hyperbole (c.f "friend of a friend...") to extend Mikeef's extreme example. Yours, however, is genuinely tragic.

There have been numerous recent events in Australia of toddlers and young children killed in school parking lots or household driveways; these presumably happened at low speed too. The overall point remains that - despite these tragic events - we as a society don't ban cars or insist on uniformly low speed limits.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by shenxing
So 21 hijackers out of 2 billion or so brownish guys total.. so there is.a 0.00000000001% chance that any random brown guy is an hijacker!
The lizard brain of a low qualification TSA agent who is running a "random selection" "algorithm" in his head does not work that way.

I think your estimate of 2 billion is a bit off. I don't think there are 2 billion brown males on planet earth.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Such attacks have already happened, going back to the 1960s, either by terrorists or as accidents in war zones, like the recent MH17.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rcial_aircraft
What I meant was completely different.

I don't agree with the whole concept of "trusted travelers", as I believe that screening should be the same for all passengers, but I will say this - trust is not a binary proposition. It's more like an analog dial - it goes up and down on an infinite scale between "complete trust" and "no trust". Those in PreCheck are simply given a higher place on that dial by TSA than the rest of us.
I agree with you that: the trusted traveler program is simply bogus. And agreed, that f(trust) >= threshold qualifies someone to be a TT.

However, I think, the vulnerability of the trusted traveler program does not come from the incorrect evaluation of the trust function, or the decay or trust of a particular traveler. I think the biggest vulnerability is that of a false positive: someone simply hi-jacking a trusted travelers identity.

I don't consider that a terrorist act. It was collateral damage in a war zone. It doesn't even rise to the level of a war crime, despite the fact that the target was a civilian airliner, unless those who fired the missile knew or suspected that it was a civilian airliner.

Whoever fired that rocket did not have intent, if you assume that they lacked the capability to identify the plane.

However, intent may very well exist, and be attributed to a totally different party. A careful routing of a vulnerable civilian aircraft on a path that might cause rebels to confuse it with a military plane could be the intent.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by ThinWallet
Whoever fired that rocket did not have intent, if you assume that they lacked the capability to identify the plane.

However, intent may very well exist, and be attributed to a totally different party. A careful routing of a vulnerable civilian aircraft on a path that might cause rebels to confuse it with a military plane could be the intent.
I highly doubt that happened. However, I do believe that Malaysia Airlines is guilty of gross negligence in allowing its flights to fly over an active war zone in which both sides are equipped with surface to air missiles.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:23 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
I highly doubt that happened. However, I do believe that Malaysia Airlines is guilty of gross negligence in allowing its flights to fly over an active war zone in which both sides are equipped with surface to air missiles.
And I presume you have outrage at Virgin and Aeroflot and all the others that flew the same routes that day?
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
And I presume you have outrage at Virgin and Aeroflot and all the others that flew the same routes that day?
Absolutely. I think it's the height of irresponsibility to send commercial traffic through a war zone simply to save fuel.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 3:27 am

Programs: QFF
Absolutely. I think it's the height of irresponsibility to send commercial traffic through a war zone simply to save fuel.
They did not send their flights through a "war zone" to "save fuel". They filed flight plans which were accepted by the aviation authorities of several countries and transited airspace which was open and not restricted.
The airlines did not do a single thing wrong.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Himeno
They did not send their flights through a "war zone" to "save fuel". They filed flight plans which were accepted by the aviation authorities of several countries and transited airspace which was open and not restricted.
The airlines did not do a single thing wrong.
I consider a place where people are shooting at each other with tanks and missiles to be, by definition, a war zone. What do you call it?

And maybe the government of Ukraine hasn't restricted the airspace over its territory in which people are shooting at each other with tanks and missiles, in a conflict in which both sides possess surface to air weapons capable of shooting down a civilian airliner, but that doesn't mean it's safe to fly through that zone.

There are plenty of things which are legal to do, but which are not safe or responsible behavior. Flying commercial airliners through a war zone is one of them.

The airlines should all be avoiding the region of Ukraine where the fighting is happening. They're not, or at least they weren't at the time when MH17 was shot down, which was pretty irresponsible. Why did they not route their flights around the combat zone? To save money on fuel, of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.