Wiki Posts
Search

How the TSA beat fliers into submission

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:54 pm

Thumbs up

^
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Part of the problem is the general public not having the slightest clue about the actual risks of being in an air terrorism related incident. Even with 9/11 the chances of dying in a terrorism incident are incredibly small compared to so many other everyday things, including slips/falls at home, dog bites, heart disease, suicide, etc, etc...terrorism isn't even on the chart. Instead the emotionalism from 9/11 and a few other incidents is used/abused to make decisions and direct investment of tax dollars.

Then the same lack of evidence-based decision making infects the evaluation of what are the best methods to achieve the goal of safe air transport.

I'm not saying that no improvements could have been made since 2001, or that there should be "nothing done" to ward off air terrorism. But we weren't ignoring safety with the pre-9/11 procedures, nor is the post- 9/11 TSA environment necessarily doing the right or best things. It's disturbing that the public isn't questioning the TSA environment...I bet a lot more would do so if they really understood things.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by astroflyer
It's funny how even a small shift in tone can make a difference. I was recently screened at Heathrow and I alarmed the metal detector. (I can always wear my belt in the US without it going off, but I forget that doesn't always work overseas).

The security screener politely says:

He proceeded to very politely describe where he would be doing, etc.

Can you ever imagine a TSA agent initiating a pat-down that way. It's always delivered instead with phrases like "You need to..." I think a mere change in tone could go a long way to improving security...it certainly made me want to cooperate more.
Count me as one of those that think TSA is a complete waste of taxpayer money and don't get me started about Pre Check and how TSA allows pretty much any and everyone in to the line after I paid $100, filled out a long form, underwent an extensive background check, an interview AND fingerprinting BEFORE I could get in that line (what a freaking joke!).

That said, I have a total hip replacement that sets off the more sensitive metal detectors and have been frisked (groped as some of you call it, lol) many times and all of the TSA personnel that have frisked me have fully explained what they were about to do, asked me if I wanted a private screening, and been quite professional about it. Just my opinion though
Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How the TSA beat fliers into submission

We also can't lose sight of the fact that they invited themselves into our trains, subways, buses, and interstate highway rest areas.

And we did nothing.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, AA, DL
Originally Posted by astroflyer
I think a mere change in tone could go a long way to improving security...it certainly made me want to cooperate more.
I agree that it would improve the experience an average traveler has at security, but it would not improve the efficacy of security. It wouldn't decrease its efficacy either, but I thought that the point of the article was "the TSA is ineffective but has trained us to ignore that" and not "the TSA is unpleasant and unprofessional." Maybe both are true (I think that the second one certainly is, at least), but I don't think anyone's alleging that Congresspeople ought to come out against the TSA because they're surly and don't explain what they're doing.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
As a brown guy, I am amazed how Many times I am "randomly" selected by TSA for hand-swab and other stuff they do. :P
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:01 pm

Random thoughts

I generally agree with the posters in this OP-ED.

My position goes even further:

- if I have been TSA Pre-checked, then I should be able to carry ANYTHING with me: AK-47, Chain Saw, Water, 10 laptops, a lighter, or whatever I want.

If my position sounds too extreme, just think of it: in a normal day of my life, I generally have the right to carry all of those things, legally, in most places. But I choose not too. I don't walk around in the streets of the city with a chain saw, nor do I carry an AK-47, I don't smoke, so I don't have a lighter.

If you can not trust the trusted travelers, then the trust is not worth a penny.

Mark my words: the next terrorist attack is not going to come from within an aircraft. It will come from outside of the aircraft.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Makecry
As a brown guy, I am amazed how Many times I am "randomly" selected by TSA for hand-swab and other stuff they do. :P
What do you expect? The last time 4 planes were brought down, those involved were all brownish guys.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Makecry
TWB
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:00 pm

So 21 hijackers out of 2 billion or so brownish guys total.. so there is.a 0.00000000001% chance that any random brown guy is an hijacker!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by ThinWallet
What do you expect? The last time 4 planes were brought down, those involved were all brownish guys.
Including the last one in Ukraine shot down by white guys?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:11 pm

Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:12 pm

Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:14 pm

Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eghansen
I support the TSA fully, absolutely and completely with all my heart and soul. I don't ever want another 9/11. In my opinion, what happened on that day was our fault due to our lackadaisical attitude toward lives and safety. The problem has been rectified and I never want to go back.
The TSA couldn't prevent the hijacking of a wagon, let alone an airplane.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eghansen
I support the TSA fully, absolutely and completely with all my heart and soul. I don't ever want another 9/11. In my opinion, what happened on that day was our fault due to our lackadaisical attitude toward lives and safety. The problem has been rectified and I never want to go back.
The content of your post espouses one of the most ignorant views of the TSA and its procedures that I have seen in a very long time.

I guess when an aircraft is taken down by an anally implanted explosive, you will line right up before each flight for a manual anal cavity search?

Our forefathers are rolling in their graves as they read your post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.