Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

ABTC / APEC Business Travel Card — U.S. Policy Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ABTC / APEC Business Travel Card — U.S. Policy Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2012, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jfidler
I'm frustrated by this as well. Just spent another $140 to renew my Chinese visa for another year, which I may have been able to avoid if ABTC was in place.

Does anyone know a travel journalist who would be interested in writing a story about this? Maybe going through CBP's press office will get some solid answers.
Out of curiosity- how did you get a 1 year multiple entry visa for PRC for only $140 USD???
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:16 pm

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Out of curiosity- how did you get a 1 year multiple entry visa for PRC for only $140 USD???
That's the standard pricing for US citizens:
http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/visas/fees/
Old Nov 3, 2012, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's the standard pricing for US citizens:
http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/visas/fees/
Thanks- makes sense.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:20 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
If only Congress were far more eager to really push DHS to implement it for US citizens sooner than later.

Like with TSA, this ABTC situation for US citizens is another DHS foot-dragging situation that arises from the "better 'safe' than sorry" CYA approach of those in position to get this implemented sooner ..... like yesterday ... but not really eager to have gotten it done already.
How does this relate to safety for DHS? We're referring to US citizens getting ABTC cards to travel to foreign countries.

Foreign nationals with ABTC entering the US has already implemented years ago.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 8:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by seawolf
How does this relate to safety for DHS? We're referring to US citizens getting ABTC cards to travel to foreign countries.

Foreign nationals with ABTC entering the US has already implemented years ago.
The last sentence above is something I even noted earlier in this short thread. See Post #6.

DHS has considered ABTC issuance for US persons as being some sort of "trusted traveler" facility that they want to lump in under/with the following ridiculous approaches that don't have the following as a general standard for all US citizens without the application, interview and "background check" nonsense currently applicable to the following: US citizens getting Global Entry or PreCheck LLL standard treatment. That DHS wants control over ABTC issuance is anything but a shock. Nor is it a shock that DHS wants to be able to pull ABTC or deny it from US citizens not even found guilty of a crime or even arrested and charged with a crime -- it's a way for DHS to fortify its own C[Y]A facilities. What will the USG's reaction be when/if a US citizen ABTC user is caught engaging in sexual exploitation of minors in some APEC countries during visits that took place after use of an ABTC?

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 30, 2012 at 8:07 pm
Old Dec 1, 2012, 2:43 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Now DECEMBER. Over a year since the law was enacted and still NOTHING.

Words do not begin to describe how pathetic this government is.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 9:32 am

I finally have an update, even if it's not good news.

I inquired with my Congressman's office (on the House side - Van Hollen in MD) about a week ago and got an update today. They are definitely aware of the issue, and in fact another constituent had made a similar inquiry with them earlier.

What they said is that the way the legislation is worded, CBP has until 2016 to implement this, though of course nothing stops them from implementing it sooner.

My Congressman realizes the importance of this, and is working with other members of Congress to draft a joint letter to the acting director of CBP to emphasize the need to speed this up.

So on the plus side, this issue is not being forgotten. On the minus side, we still don't have what we want, nor is there a clear timeframe for when we'll have it.

At this point, I think it's worth it to contact your Congressional representative to try and generate more attention and pressure on the issue.

Also if anyone knows of any press that would like to write about the issue, I think that's a good path to follow as well. Is anyone's company a member of a travel trade group like the Global Business Travel Association? I think groups like that do get involved in legislative issues, and may know the right people to contact to make this a priority.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 6:43 am

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM
What they said is that the way the legislation is worded, CBP has until 2016 to implement this, though of course nothing stops them from implementing it sooner.
Certainly not doubting your source, but my (admittedly amateur) reading of the final bill as passed makes no mention of a 2016 deadline for implementation.

See: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-1...12s1487enr.pdf

At any rate, we all keep waiting. My guess is that DHS has placed this very low on their priority list, as it affects comparatively few citizens. I agree that raising the issue with our elected representatives (and media?) is probably our best and only avenue at this point.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by crazycrab955
Certainly not doubting your source, but my (admittedly amateur) reading of the final bill as passed makes no mention of a 2016 deadline for implementation.
I see your point -- I see no deadline for implementation (but also no requirement for when to implement) in that bill. The person I spoke with at my Congressman's office mentioned the 2016 date more than once, and I was taking notes so I don't think I was mistaken.

It would definitely be helpful if others can contact their own representatives of Congress about this issue and report back what they find.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
so just for kicks I emailed my outgoing Congressman (Bob Turner) and my two senators... Schumer and Gillibrand... let's see if they respond with anything positive...

I mean that card could make China MRs a piece of cake and general travel in the region much easier...
Old Dec 19, 2012, 5:40 am

The US on it's way to becoming a third world country... probably quicker to gain citizenship to another APEC country than waiting for the US to grant APEC cards.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
JANUARY 2013. Still nothing.

Government at its best.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 1:56 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Sent letters to my Congressman and called and emailed DHS. Nada! US Govt is FUBAR.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 9:46 am

I just filed a FOIA request with CBP to inquire about the status. I'll post back here if I hear anything.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 5:15 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 5khours
Sent letters to my Congressman and called and emailed DHS. Nada! US Govt is FUBAR.
Do you contribute to her/his campaign?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.