Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

ABTC / APEC Business Travel Card — U.S. Policy Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ABTC / APEC Business Travel Card — U.S. Policy Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:06 am

delete

Last edited by mileageman; Jan 7, 2014 at 12:14 am
Old Jan 29, 2014, 3:11 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
And STILL we wait . . .

The GOES web site does, however, now state:
How can I apply for an APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC)?

Only U.S. citizens may apply for an APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC).

Pending publication of the ABTC Interim Final Rule

If you are a U.S. citizen, an active member of a CBP Trusted Traveler Program (NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI), and a bona fide business person who is engaged in the trade of goods, the provision of services or the conduct of investment activities within the APEC region, you can apply for ABTC by logging in to the GOES website with your GOES User ID and password. You may register for a GOES User ID if you do not already have one. After you log in, on the application home page click on the "Manage Membership" button next to your program membership then click on the "Apply for APEC Business Travel Card" button.

If you are a U.S. citizen and are not an active member of a CBP Trusted Traveler Program you may apply for ABTC after you have been approved and become a member of a program.

Do I have to schedule an appointment in order to finalize my APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC) enrollment?

Scheduling an appointment in order to finalize the ABTC application is not mandatory, but recommended. You can also finalize your ABTC enrollment on a walk-in basis at an enrollment center. If you choose to finalize your enrollment as a walk-in, be aware that scheduled appointments have priority and you will be seen at the first available opportunity.
https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/common/..._cardholder_12

Last edited by Always Flyin; Jan 29, 2014 at 3:16 am
Old Feb 2, 2014, 5:57 am

26-months after the ABTC bill was signed into law, still we wait for DHS to implement it.

Ridiculous.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
26-months after the ABTC bill was signed into law, still we wait for DHS to implement it.

Ridiculous.
Given this DHS is serving under a POTUS who was so fond of playing up a "turn to Asia" and an interest in building a more robust presence in Asia (largely to counter China's rise), it is a shame that he hasn't whipped DHS into shape on the matter. That he failed to show up in Asia for the APEC summit during the federal government shutdown last year may be taken as a sign that the talk was mostly hot air. Thus the ridiculous outcome from a DHS that is too big for its britches (a la the Hulk).
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: UA Gold
http://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAg...&RIN=1651-AB01

Latest update I could find - sorry if this has been posted already. It said the "Interim Final Rule" comment period was supposed to end in Dec '13. However I believe that was posted in October. In any case, once the Interim Final Rule is finally on the books, seems like the CBP may be ready to issue the cards through Goes as Always Flyin has posted.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by gailwynand
And now DHS's budget has been cut by 8-9% for the remainder of this fiscal year. (The sequester fell midway through the fiscal year, and you can't cut what's already been spent so the effective cuts for the next few months are significantly larger than what's been reported in much of the news media.)
This risks turning this thread into Omni but just to be clear the "cut by 8-9%" thing is entirely a BS numbers game from the media and politicians that wanted the scare people. The only way you get those numbers is by saying it was a cut versus the budget increases they had planned for.

Here are the actual total budget authority for the DHS (though they're a bit confusing because of the continuing resolutions, I think these are the right numbers to pick):

2010 56,018,032
2011 54,807,277
2012 59,713,355
2013 59,032,346
2014 59,959,337

Do you see a big cut in any of those years? Note that the sequestration cut was about a tenth of the increase from the previous year and that they still are going to spend more this year than any year since they were created. These are in thousands of dollars of course.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by saelaenc

Latest update I could find - sorry if this has been posted already. It said the "Interim Final Rule" comment period was supposed to end in Dec '13. However I believe that was posted in October. In any case, once the Interim Final Rule is finally on the books, seems like the CBP may be ready to issue the cards through Goes as Always Flyin has posted.
Funny. I was never able to find the proposed rules to comment upon them.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by saelaenc

I have sent an email to the contact person listed there inquiring whether he has a better timetable. Everything seems to indicate we just need to get through all the red tape to get the regulation published.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:51 am

this card is not visa

it just like global entry. Apec card holder was not waived US visa. it will be expected other country do the same.So no escape visa fee.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by travel69
it just like global entry. Apec card holder was not waived US visa. it will be expected other country do the same.So no escape visa fee.
Wrong. US requires a visa even for APEC card holders. Other countries do not.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by 5khours
Wrong. US requires a visa even for APEC card holders. Other countries do not.
That was exactly what was written in the post.
'APEC card holder was not waived US visa.'
Old Feb 8, 2014, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by travel69
We don't know that. There has been no indication that will be the case.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
We don't know that. There has been no indication that will be the case.
In fact, we know the opposite to be true. Other than for the US, a visa is not required.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 3:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 5khours
In fact, we know the opposite to be true. Other than for the US, a visa is not required.
Yes, which means that the reciprocity principle will surely apply (at least for China... the only reason they charge US passport holders higher visa fees than every other nationality in the world is because we do the same to them).
Old Feb 10, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by moondog
Yes, which means that the reciprocity principle will surely apply (at least for China... the only reason they charge US passport holders higher visa fees than every other nationality in the world is because we do the same to them).
My hope was that China will not charge US ABTC holder for a fee.

For example, when China instituted 72-hour transit without visa, US passport holders were not excluded from that. Even though US does not have any similar type of TWOV for Chinese passport holders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.