Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

ABTC / APEC Business Travel Card — U.S. Policy Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ABTC / APEC Business Travel Card — U.S. Policy Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Yes, that is disappointing news. I'm going to totally lower my expectations on ever getting one of these cards if the DHS is involved.

Last edited by cblaisd; Nov 29, 2011 at 10:52 am Reason: Please take the political characterizations/commentary to OMNI/PR
Old Nov 29, 2011, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum
Actually on the APEC site, it listed most countries' immigration departments as the responsible authority to issue the cards - and that for the US would be DHS.

And US is a 'transitional' member of APEC that's why USG can make this law and be able to provide these cards.

Interestingly enough the actual law states "all eligible persons" - not US citizens. It be super helpful if this would be extended to LPRs as well.. but lets see what exact rules DHS comes out with.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 7:13 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriot/SPG Gold, National Executive Elite, AMEX Platinum
I am hoping they make it easy for those of us with Global Entry to add APEC Business Travel privileges.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 1:31 am

Programs: MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Very excited about this! I've always wanted an APEC card, so whenever this actually happens, I'll be very happy!
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:52 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
This is great news! I've been waiting years for this to happen.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 12:08 am

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Any speculation on how much this will cost?
Old Dec 4, 2011, 1:40 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I believe it's slightly above the cost of regular business visa's. If I recall, it's different price point dependant on which economy you are buying from . . .

The card acts as your Visa when you pass through immigration of the receiving country.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 2:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It not only acts as a visa substitute, it also acts as a fast track pass for immigration purposes in other ways, including expedited access to immigration/passport control clerks on arrival at major airports.

The US has had APEC BTC fast-track provisioning in place for international arrivals at US airports for years, but the US has been slow going in granting the status to US citizens to use such facility when headed to APEC affiliated members.

The only unwelcome aspect of this latest announcement is that that US DHS is going to be the creature controlling the granting of such facility to US persons.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Anybody heard anything yet on actual procedures for getting the card?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Got this back from CBP.

Thank you for your interest in the APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC). Recently passed legislation now authorizes the United States to issue the APEC Business Travel Card to eligible U.S. citizens. The cards would allow U.S. ABTC holders to receive expedited scheduling of visa interviews and access to fast-track immigration lanes at airports in APEC's 21 economies.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection is working to implement the program as soon as possible. Once the ABTC production commences in the United States, information will be available at [email protected] and http://www.businessmobility.org/key/usa.htm.

Regards,
APEC Program
Office of International Affairs
U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Fax: 202-344-3549
Email: [email protected]
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
Got this back from CBP.

Thank you for your interest in the APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC). Recently passed legislation now authorizes the United States to issue the APEC Business Travel Card to eligible U.S. citizens. The cards would allow U.S. ABTC holders to receive expedited scheduling of visa interviews and access to fast-track immigration lanes at airports in APEC's 21 economies.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection is working to implement the program as soon as possible. Once the ABTC production commences in the United States, information will be available at [email protected] and http://www.businessmobility.org/key/usa.htm.

Regards,
APEC Program
Office of International Affairs
U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Fax: 202-344-3549
Email: [email protected]
I can't wait... this will make my life a thousand times easier.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 2:37 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
According to the following site, it will be $50.00 and you have to also have Global Entry in order to be eligible (which is another $100.00):

http://csis.org/publication/why-us-a...l-card-matters

Good for three years.

No timeline on when they will start actually issuing cards. What a surprise. I am not holding my breath.

Another concern is that, because the U.S. requires APEC member country citizens who are not eligible for a visa waiver to obtain U.S. entry visas in addition to their ABTC, those countries may apply the same rules to U.S. citizens (e.g., China, Vietnam and Russia). See: http://www.amcham.org.sg/Advocacy/AP...ss-Travel-Card
Old Mar 26, 2012, 2:55 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
And still we wait . . .
Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
And still we wait . . .
No wonder we wait.

The federal government in the US is far more eager to deny/revoke US passports from free US citizens with civil debts to the government than it is in facilitating international travel for free US citizens and others with or without civil debts to the government. [The US is in the process of making the following the law of the land applicable to US citizens regardless of domicile: US passport revocation/denial/conditionality for free US citizens with civil debts considered owed to the US Treasury/IRS. With this move the US is joining the approach implemented by the regimes in China and the UAE.]

Last edited by GUWonder; May 6, 2012 at 3:15 pm
Old Apr 27, 2012, 3:52 am

Any updates on this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.