Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYT on behavior detection, again

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

NYT on behavior detection, again

Another article showing there is n scientific support for the program, which will again be ignored by the TSA:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/25/sc...h.html?hp&_r=0
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
Another article showing there is n scientific support for the program, which will again be ignored by the TSA:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/25/sc...h.html?hp&_r=0
Naturally.

TSA has proven time and time again thatbit feels itself to be exempt from rule of law or accountability or oversight in every way.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:34 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
But critics say there’s no evidence that these efforts have stopped a single terrorist or accomplished much beyond inconveniencing tens of thousands of passengers a year. The T.S.A. seems to have fallen for a classic form of self-deception: the belief that you can read liars’ minds by watching their bodies.

Pissant deserves nothing less than life without parole in prison.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:43 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
But think of the children!
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I got 7/10 on the quiz. I missed three of the first five and then got five in a row. But I think I'd better do a more in-depth inspection on the woman who says she likes "Trainspotting." She is gorgeous looks very suspicious. I'll pull out the full nude-o-scope.

Mike
Old Mar 24, 2014, 10:30 am
Original Poster

My favorite part is that the science shows that supposed behavior detection is worse than chance alone.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: TSA
My favorite part was the only scientific survey conducted with real stress on the subjects being studied showed an 80% success rate.

Last edited by gsoltso; Mar 29, 2014 at 2:51 am Reason: word version
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by gsoltso
My favorite part was the only scientific survey conducted with real stress on the subjects being study showed an 80% success rate.
Are you suggesting that TSA checkpoints are or should be designed to produce the same level of stress as someone pleading for the return of a lost relative? That's the only way the 80% number was reached.

I'm sure you will go far in your TSA career.

(Edit list to lost)
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by OldGoat
Are you suggesting that TSA checkpoints are or should be designed to produce the same level of stress as someone pleading for the return of a lost relative? That's the only way the 80% number was reached.

I'm sure you will go far in your TSA career.

(Edit list to lost)
^
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:30 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
My favorite part was the only scientific survey conducted with real stress on the subjects being study showed an 80% success rate.
Did you actually read the entire report and note how that was achieved?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
You're kidding, right? You picked the only study cited in the article that claimed that there is anything to BD. Every other study noted indicated that BD doesn't work.

Forget reading the article, everyone needs to read the study. There is nothing, and I mean nothing, in common between what they did in this study and what the BDOs do at the airport.

Mike
Old Mar 26, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
My favorite part is where it said that the actual, real-world, in-action-for-several-years BDO program deployed by TSA hasn't caught a single person it was designed to catch, but instead has only caught people that TSA are prohibited from looking for (i.e. criminals, smugglers, and people concealing their identity).

But I also loved the part where it said that even among those that the BDO program "caught", it has only a 1% arrest rate. In other words, only 1% of the people that the BDOs pick out as suspicious are actually doing something worth of arrest. Ya gotta love a 1% success rate, West, ya just gotta love it!
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:19 pm

Adam Kokesh has a youtube video where he videotapes himself asking TSA
goons how many terrorists they have caught. Embarrassed, and in no
mood to put up with a common citizen asserting his rights, Bobby the Behavior Detection expert comes to the rescue and bullies Adam away. There's something troubling (and ridiculous) about 1st Amendment rights being perceived as suspicious behavior post 9/11. This can't be America.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 4:52 am
Original Poster

The upward eye movement part was telling to me. I am sure that is what the BDO voodoo scientists are looking for based on recent experience. The last time I walked through a checkpoint, the TSO actually commented on the fact that I had made an upward eye role when he asked me something I did not hear (I had an elderly person with me and was making sure he had his documents with him, so I wasn´t paying much attention in a noisy area). Apparently I role my eyes up a lot (probably even more when going through annoying checkpoints with pointless "security" measures).

So they are trained to look eye rolls, which have been proven not to have any relationship with lying:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0040259
Old Mar 28, 2014, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeef
I got 7/10 on the quiz. I missed three of the first five and then got five in a row. But I think I'd better do a more in-depth inspection on the woman who says she likes "Trainspotting." She is gorgeous looks very suspicious. I'll pull out the full nude-o-scope.

Mike
I got 4/10 right without even looking at the videos. I spent 2-3 seconds looking at the pictures and made a snap judgment.

SPOTNik program is all about intimidation. All the clerks have to do is to walk around and intently stare at people. Many will be spooked and start spilling their guts about all sorts of things they feel guilty about.

The SPOTNik program is similar to polygraphs in that many polygraph confessions have noting to do with the actual test. I've known many government polygraphers who have told me that a lot of people simply get spooked by all the gadgets, straps, wires, blood pressure collars, etc, and start spilling their guts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.