Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Predictions For TSA Response to MH370

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:39 pm

My initial thought was brace for the TSA/DHS knee jerk reaction to whatever object was used to thwart security.

The LAX TSA shooting taught us that procedurally, TSA still only cares about object oriented security. Hence, nothing has happened since that attack, airport LEOs nationwide remain seated at podiums behind the screening continuing to ignore the ticketing areas and swell of people waiting in front of the checkpoint.

Specific to MH370, TSA should stay out of it, the billions they want to waste as a result of this truly should go towards better aircraft tracking. Better intelligence, and more tools to find missing or stolen aircraft. Perhaps FAA could finally get the ball rolling on ADS-B/GPS navigation in the US as they seemingly do most everywhere else in the world.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat + SPG Plat
Two predictions, the first is for fun and the second is more realistic:

1) Going forward, in addition to a secret random position on each aircraft, air marshals will always occupy 1C and 1D thereby reducing the available upgrades for top-level FF'ers such as myself. The upside is that now we will no longer need to speculate as to whether the seats are actually assigned at T-7 or reserved for handicap and yet to be assigned. :P

2) I could see some form of TSA PreCheck becoming mandatory under certain circumstances. I can't imagine how that might flesh out, but certainly the brain trust on both sides of the aisle in DC will find some AMAZING use of taxpayer funds with guidance from our 'intelligence' services.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 9:53 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by coastalguy
1) Going forward, in addition to a secret random position on each aircraft, air marshals will always occupy 1C and 1D thereby reducing the available upgrades for top-level FF'ers such as myself. The upside is that now we will no longer need to speculate as to whether the seats are actually assigned at T-7 or reserved for handicap and yet to be assigned. :P
On some airlines the "secret seats" for the FAM's are row 2 aisle.

I predict that TSA will now require all PAX to go through intensified N.O.S. in thongs and pasties. This will speed the process while keeping their monitors out of the closet.

Changing rooms will be reserved for those with extreme elite status. All others will use a communal room where the Thousands Standing Around will gawk (OK, monitor) the strip downs.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Two predictions, the first is for fun and the second is more realistic:

2) I could see some form of TSA PreCheck becoming mandatory under certain circumstances. I can't imagine how that might flesh out, but certainly the brain trust on both sides of the aisle in DC will find some AMAZING use of taxpayer funds with guidance from our 'intelligence' services.
For #1, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEEEAASSEEEE, don't give Delta any ideas on how to further reduce upgrades...

#2, what would that help if the person hijacking the plane was the pilot himself?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:48 pm

Programs: QFF
No one knows what happened, but many people assume it was hijacked. So TSA will demand they put a TSO in every cockpit.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
2) I could see some form of TSA PreCheck becoming mandatory under certain circumstances.
I think this is coming for everyone anyway, but may be sped up by this event. The TSA wants everyone to have a background check, and this is a great excuse for that to happen.

Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
#2, what would that help if the person hijacking the plane was the pilot himself?
Pilots will never be punished no matter what. Cameras in the cockpit? That will never happen. Extra security checks for pilots before boarding? Nope.

We PAX will pay the price no matter who is responsible. Mark my words.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:19 am

Programs: AA Plat + SPG Plat
Originally Posted by FredAnderssen
Pilots will never be punished no matter what. Cameras in the cockpit? That will never happen. Extra security checks for pilots before boarding? Nope.
+1 The pilot unions will ensure this doesn't happen. The best we're likely to see in terms of on-board safeguards will be real-time streaming via satellite of data feeds from every aircraft. (And at the far end of that, perhaps some sort of 24/7 global monitoring of the data feeds.)
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Let's see

Richard Reid tries hiding a bomb in his shoes - shoes must be removed at security
A plot to use liquid explosives is uncovered - no more liquids
A plot to hide explosives in toner - no more toner through security
Some tries hiding a bomb in his underwear - now we have Nude O' Scopes

The TSA will wait until they know exactly what went wrong with the flight, and ban ridiculously accordingly
Old Mar 18, 2014, 4:34 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Oh, absolutely this one:
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
4. Will the scenario be dependent upon the final determination of what happened?
As follows:

Cause: rogue (co-) pilot hijacking the plane. TSA's Response: further restrictions on items in carry-ons and more invasive search of all passengers.

Cause: rogue (co-) pilot suicide. Response: further restrictions on items in carry-ons and more invasive search of all passengers.

Cause: fire or explosion disabled the communication and navigation system until the plane crashed. Response: further restrictions on items in carry-ons and more invasive search of all passengers.

Cause: hypoxia of pilot and random flight until crash. Response: further restrictions on items in carry-ons and more invasive search of all passengers.

Cause: bizarre sequence of minor malfunctions and bad decisions. Response: further restrictions on items in carry-ons and more invasive search of all passengers.

Cause: search called off and after two years there is no solution. Response: further restrictions on items in carry-ons and more invasive search of all passengers.

Cause: MH370 was abducted by aliens from Planet Goozbah. Response: further restrictions on items in carry-ons and more invasive search of all passengers.

and of course

Cause: passenger entered cockpit by force and hijacked plane. Response: further restrictions on items in carry-ons and more invasive search of all passengers.

So, yeah, it completely depends on the reason for the disappearance.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Additional Thought So Far...

And it will. If you read comments on any of the websites reporting news of the missing airplane, most people are out for blood. "Why aren't there MORE checks of documents? Why are our authorities allowing passengers with fake or stolen documents on board airplanes?" Those in power at the Department of Homeland Security must be drooling at this fortuitous turn of events. It's an instant money-machine for the TSA.

The (figurative) blood that will be spilled here is of the people crying out for more security, which comes at an enormous cost, with little benefit, to all of us.
Thanks to everybody for the great dialogue so far. I'll admit that I haven't read news websites in sufficient depth as to have noted what Fred has noted above.

I will say, however, that I don't think the TSA, DHS, and Congress have done a good job with the first phase in whatever is in store for us: Instilling fear in the public. They have to invent a threat that only they can save us from. To my knowledge, this hasn't happened yet. Even Blowhard-in-Chief Peter King has been silent.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:35 am

I think this is coming for everyone anyway, but may be sped up by this event. The TSA wants everyone to have a background check, and this is a great excuse for that to happen...
Well, TSA has pushed to exempt PreCheck program elements from the Privacy Act.

What about hiring more TSA staff? More staff are needed for, well, everything. More document checkers. Maybe a TSA employee should sit in the cockpit.

EDIT: Yes! Armed TSA special forces personnel in the cockpit to monitor the pilots! They will need at least rudimentary pilot training in case they have to incapacitate the official pilots. Such personnel can also stand guard during pilot bathroom breaks.

Then we need armed TSA personnel to watch the watchers, in case the armed cockpit TSA employee goes rogue despite background checks.

Last edited by Schmurrr; Mar 18, 2014 at 9:01 am
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:57 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
The Answer is readily available now. Its how I presently travel much of the time.

Make everybody Globally carry a Biometric Passport..Link it to Airline Checkin-TSA Precheck-Global Entry-EU Style unmanned Immigration Booths.

Know travelers only would be allowed online checkin.

Security could then revert to before 9/11, as it now has at Pre-Check and then number of TSA/Security, Immigration and Custom guys could be reduced by 70% which would more than pay for the additional equipment.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by eyecue
I vote for number 5.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by UncleDude
The Answer is readily available now. Its how I presently travel much of the time.

Make everybody Globally carry a Biometric Passport..Link it to Airline Checkin-TSA Precheck-Global Entry-EU Style unmanned Immigration Booths.

Know travelers only would be allowed online checkin.

Security could then revert to before 9/11, as it now has at Pre-Check and then number of TSA/Security, Immigration and Custom guys could be reduced by 70% which would more than pay for the additional equipment.
The question isn't what we wish would happen - it's what will actually happen!

And Pre-Check isn't pre-9/11 security. Pre-9/11, you could bring liquids through security!
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:25 am

If it is found that the pilot or co-pilot is responsible, then TSA will ban all pilots and co-pilots from the cockpit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.