Predictions For TSA Response to MH370

Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Predictions For TSA Response to MH370

'Sitting here on a snow day and musing about what the inevitable TSA reaction will be to the MH370 disappearance? They have been noticeably silent up to now -- no statements by Pissy, no Propaganda Village blog entries, no nothing.

They have something in store for all of us citizens when this is all over. I can't pin down anything in particular so I thought I would throw the question out there for your input and debate.

I'm thinking these thoughts at the moment:

1. Is there anything they really want to be doing that they can now use MH370 as an excuse to implement?

2. I'm assuming whatever they do must be visible to the public because that's how they show Congress they are on top of things. So, monitoring everyone's Facebook posts doesn't cut it because there's nothing visible at the airport.

3. Does anybody think they will continue to do nothing? If so, why?

4. Will the scenario be dependent upon the final determination of what happened?

5. Will the TSA simply distance themselves from the whole incident by simply stating that "It couldn't happen here?"

So, I'm interested in everyone's thoughts, with the caveat that we should probably check on things again after a final determination has been made.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much

1. Is there anything they really want to be doing that they can now use MH370 as an excuse to implement?
I'm thinking less implement and more justify.

1. The TSA will now use the MH370 incident to justify several levels of I.D. checks at the Security Checkpoint, random I.D. checks anywhere in the sterile area*, I.D. checks at the gate, and I.D. checks on the jet bridge both on departure and arrival. Too many citizens are crying about lax security that allowed a couple of passengers to board that plane carrying stolen passports. Homeland security won't let this opportunity slip by to implement greater scrutiny of the traveling public and demand more funds from congress to implement said scrutiny.

2. Greater scrutiny and checks for those of us using our smart phones at the security checkpoints. (Maybe a freedom squiggle directly on the smartphone screen?).

3. No more allowing passing of anyone at a security checkpoint who lacks I.D., even if identification can be proven through other means. We all know that it is difficult to pass through now if you forget your license at home. I predict that ANY ability to get through with a background check, use of a Costco card or other means will be fully eliminated.

4. Extra scrutiny of valid forms of I.D. on the TSA accepted list. Especially driver's licenses from New Mexico. (and I mean that only half-facetiously).

5. Okay. Here's an implement: The TSA will be able to carry handguns. They've been champing at the bit for a long time to do this, and what better reason than to protect themselves from the criminals carrying stolen or fake passports and driver's licenses? (Think Jason Bourne).

*If not already implemented, this will definitely be added. You heard it here first, folks.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
I frankly dread to think what the TSA will implement. A lot of what they have done up to know does not make any sense when it comes to security. They have merely implemented security theater in many instances.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer
I frankly dread to think what the TSA will implement. A lot of what they have done up to know does not make any sense when it comes to security. They have merely implemented security theater in many instances.
Well, whatever happens, the outcome to the traveling public won't be good. Whenever something of this magnitude happens, it can be assured that all of us will be punished for it. I predict that the response from security personnel in the U.S. and England will be so disproportionate, that it will take your breath away.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:06 pm

Location: Northern California, in the redwoods, on the ocean.
It will involve some very expensive machinery developed by someone with an inside track.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WindOfFreedom
It will involve some very expensive machinery developed by someone with an inside track.
As it becomes more and more apparent that the pilots were somehow involved in the downing/disappearance of the aircraft, the end result will certainly NOT be more scrutiny of pilots or flight crew. Homeland security will use this as an excuse to double down on the punishment scrutiny of the traveling public.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by FredAnderssen
3. No more allowing passing of anyone at a security checkpoint who lacks I.D., even if identification can be proven through other means. We all know that it is difficult to pass through now if you forget your license at home. I predict that ANY ability to get through with a background check, use of a Costco card or other means will be fully eliminated.
If your ID is stolen while on vacation, how will you ever get back home?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sullim4
If your ID is stolen while on vacation, how will you ever get back home?
How do people on the no-fly list ever get home? They don't. But I suppose if you lose your I.D. while on vacation, you'll have to make your way to your embassy. Hopefully, they won't need as much proof of your identity as Homeland Security will soon require.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: Diamond Club, Krisflyer, BA Exec
Originally Posted by FredAnderssen
Well, whatever happens, the outcome to the traveling public won't be good. Whenever something of this magnitude happens, it can be assured that all of us will be punished for it. I predict that the response from security personnel in the U.S. and England will be so disproportionate, that it will take your breath away.
So, by your comments do you believe it will be less strict in Scotland or Wales, which are part of Great Britain, which incidentally includes England. Or if you mean the United Kingdom then include Northern Ireland as well?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gordies
So, by your comments do you believe it will be less strict in Scotland or Wales, which are part of Great Britain, which incidentally includes England. Or if you mean the United Kingdom then include Northern Ireland as well?
Sorry, I didn't mean to leave out any part of Great Britain by my comments. Everything I said is a guess, but seeing as LHR has some of the most odious security on the planet, that seemed to me the most obvious place where the flying public of Great Britain will feel the most pain.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
While I'm not sure TSA will have anything to do with it, I bet the government will decide they need to "track" computer flight simulator software and equipment (or things that might be used to simulate flight). A perfect excuse to force people to "register" their GPU cards they've been using to mine Bitcoins/Litecoins/etc which the government really wants to know about.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
Originally Posted by jfunk138
While I'm not sure TSA will have anything to do with it, I bet the government will decide they need to "track" computer flight simulator software and equipment (or things that might be used to simulate flight). A perfect excuse to force people to "register" their GPU cards they've been using to mine Bitcoins/Litecoins/etc which the government really wants to know about.
And the TSA will probably write a blog post about some large bottles of water they confiscated from some forgetful grandma and say "see look, we just prevented another MH 370". If the same action can prevent another 9/11 surely it can prevent another MH370.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 1:26 pm

No doubt that this may lead to TSA groping, scoping and intrusive pat downs of pilots will be in order.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by usafwso
No doubt that this may lead to TSA groping, scoping and intrusive pat downs of pilots will be in order.
My guess is it will never happen with pilots. They already have the controls of the airplane behind a locked door. Anything dangerous found on a pilot is superfluous. No, it definitely means more groping of the flying public to make up for the inability to grope pilots.

Though I have a new prediction: Greater scrutiny of your reading material, especially books relating to the piloting of airplanes, and of course, any material written in Arabic (but that's a given).
Old Mar 17, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: TSA
I vote for number 5.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.