Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Budget battle - TSA fees may increase

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2013, 3:58 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
Completely predictable after the knee jerk to decision to create the "TSA" in the first place. They would just become a bloated govt agency.

It's unskilled labor and yet those guys are getting full Govt benefits and avg salaries of $40k. And you know they stand around whining about being "underpaid".

TSA = Thousands Standing Around
Old Dec 7, 2013, 3:59 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
Originally Posted by cbn42
If I had a nickel for every time you've made that suggestion on this forum, I'd be rich!
Well it's a least a good suggestion. TSA costs US taxpayers and airline passengers a LOT of money.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 4:21 am

All you would get then are reporters interviewing travelers who just paid $20 saying they're glad to pay it because it makes them feel safer knowing so much money is being spent on security.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 5:41 am

Programs: Hhonors Silver, Aadvantage Platinum
Nothing is going to work. The Congress and TSA know that the vast majority of voters are uninformed about most things and do not care anyway.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by AArlington
Let the flying public pay for the costs in proportion to their flying.

I think the entire TSA budget (ok, the part spent for aviation security) should come from use taxes.

But I don't think the "tax" should be included when buying a ticket.

Make passengers pay it separately. Pay it when they show their ID; buy a coupon book of TSA checkpoint-passing stamps... something.

When the public realizes they pay $5 for the privilege if taking off their shoes when they fly the public will get more interested in this and put pressure on their leaders.
That's not gonna happen for the same reason you do not pay your income taxes via a monthly bill from the IRS. There'd be riots in the streets.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by tkey75
That's not gonna happen for the same reason you do not pay your income taxes via a monthly bill from the IRS. There'd be riots in the streets.
The other thing is that you would have to find out who is a US resident (for exemption purposes) and get all foreign companies to comply since taxes are due on worldwide income (unfortunately) for all US citizens.
Some UK citizens I know (who live there) like this system, though, as they only have to worry about credits that they can get and not worry about the remittance portion (done by their employer)
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by wethereyet
Well it's a least a good suggestion. TSA costs US taxpayers and airline passengers a LOT of money.
I don't value their services at $2.5-though I have no choice if I want to fly out of the US (and substitutes are typically limited and more expensive.)
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AArlington
I got the idea in Thailand and a SA country.

Yes it is inconvenient.

Maybe PAX could buy a punch card to speed things up.

Point is -- it needs to be a separate, noticeable transaction to the passenger.

Family of 4 leaving to go to Disney -- $20 there; $20 return. That's what they pay now --- they just don't realize it.
Thailand has this in the ticket now (700 Baht TS for international tickets)
I have been to South America but it is also on the ticket (Brazil, Chile, Argentina, (Uruguay-though by ferry so no land experience there)-not to mention Brazilian formalities in particular take up more time than even in the US.)
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, United
Getting back on track ... the TSA aint going away anytime soon. Reading the budget agreement the $5 is in and seems to be part of the agreement that is being highlighted. Best do some phone calling or the only line you will be in is one at yer bank to withdrawal more for the TSA to piss away on BDO, puffers, ATI, and other nonsense.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 11:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wethereyet
It's unskilled labor and yet those guys are getting full Govt benefits and avg salaries of $40k. And you know they stand around whining about being "underpaid".
Well, it's unskilled something, that's for certain. Dunno if it can actually be called "labor," though.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 6:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
Cong. budget deal raises Security fee from $5 to $11.24 R.T.!

Murray and Ryan settled on an agreement that would hit air travelers with a fee of $5.60 per one-way flight — or $11.20 for a round-trip excursion.

That’s 60 cents higher than the $5.00 fee the Department of Homeland Security requested, and represents a huge jump up from the current $2.50 minimum security fee.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 6:41 pm

A security fee increase to $11.20 rt isn't going to cancel many trips. An increase of 124% on the total fees easily could. For example, I was pricing some tickets today which came up with a fare of $412 and fees of $156. Increase those fees by 124% and I'd likely choose a different trip.

Last edited by essxjay; Dec 12, 2013 at 11:09 pm Reason: irrelevant remark following merge
Old Dec 11, 2013, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Getting back on track ... the TSA aint going away anytime soon. Reading the budget agreement the $5 is in and seems to be part of the agreement that is being highlighted. Best do some phone calling or the only line you will be in is one at yer bank to withdrawal more for the TSA to piss away on BDO, puffers, ATI, and other nonsense.
I hope it takes as long (if not longer) to pass than the immigration/amnesty bill in Congress.
(the latter I actually hope will pass, though I have no say in it...)
Old Dec 11, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
Mileage runs will be much more cost prohibitive.

Last edited by essxjay; Dec 12, 2013 at 11:10 pm Reason: irrelevant following thread merge
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by welookgood.com
Mileage runs will be much more cost prohibitive.
Oh, my!

People that drop a couple of hundred dollars to hop around the country for a day on plane flights to nowhere are going to spend $10-$15 more?

Talk about harsh, unintended consequences!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.