Budget battle - TSA fees may increase

Old Dec 6, 13, 8:18 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: on the path to perdition
Programs: Delta, United
Posts: 4,243
Budget battle - TSA fees may increase

I am reading that both sides of the aisle support and oppose the idea to double the fee. The Senate passed a version last session.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...nes-to-lobby-2

I'll be making some calls to my congress critters and a few others to oppose any fees.
FlyingUnderTheRadar is offline  
Old Dec 6, 13, 9:56 am
  #2  
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Louisville, KY
Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Posts: 57,720
TSA should be terminated. No one should be forced to pay to interact with federal "security" employees at all, let alone pay more. It should be completely up to the airlines and airports.
Spiff is online now  
Old Dec 6, 13, 10:26 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 18,818
If TSA would just cut out their deadwood there would be no TSA or TSA budget.
Boggie Dog is online now  
Old Dec 6, 13, 11:17 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,351
Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
TSA should be terminated. No one should be forced to pay to interact with federal "security" employees at all, let alone pay more. It should be completely up to the airlines and airports.
Why not? Surely federal security employees and security employees operating under federal rules (maybe I'm wrong but I can't see how delegating security to individual airlines and airports could possibly be workable - particularly on international flights) are much of a muchness anyway. It's going to be the same people manning the security lines, just with a different logo on their uniform.
callum9999 is offline  
Old Dec 6, 13, 11:28 am
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,728
Originally Posted by callum9999 View Post
It's going to be the same people manning the security lines, just with a different logo on their uniform.
That's the problem, right there, and is the main reason the TSA needs to be abolished in toto.
Caradoc is offline  
Old Dec 6, 13, 12:17 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: PGA
Programs: Expedia All Your Booking Channels Are Belong To Us Club
Posts: 5,024
Sen. Dems Vote To Double Walk-Through-The-Airport Tax (2012)

House Raises Walk-Through-The-Airport Tax To $7 (2008)

How to fight traveler taxes? (2004)
mbstone is offline  
Old Dec 6, 13, 3:10 pm
  #7  
Used to be 'g_leyser'
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Land of Lightfoot
Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Plat, HH Dia, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Gold, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Posts: 9,737
Originally Posted by callum9999 View Post
Why not? Surely federal security employees and security employees operating under federal rules (maybe I'm wrong but I can't see how delegating security to individual airlines and airports could possibly be workable - particularly on international flights) are much of a muchness anyway. It's going to be the same people manning the security lines, just with a different logo on their uniform.
What you describe as unworkable is precisely how things operated pre- 9/11 isn't it?
aisleorwindow is offline  
Old Dec 6, 13, 3:50 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Anywhere I need to be.
Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 16,046
I am with the airlines on this one. No to tax increases. Airports are essential not only to PAX but also to logistics and should be publicly funded.
AA_EXP09 is offline  
Old Dec 6, 13, 4:10 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arlington VA
Posts: 5,734
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 View Post
I am with the airlines on this one. No to tax increases. Airports are essential not only to PAX but also to logistics and should be publicly funded.
Let the flying public pay for the costs in proportion to their flying.

I think the entire TSA budget (ok, the part spent for aviation security) should come from use taxes.

But I don't think the "tax" should be included when buying a ticket.

Make passengers pay it separately. Pay it when they show their ID; buy a coupon book of TSA checkpoint-passing stamps... something.

When the public realizes they pay $5 for the privilege if taking off their shoes when they fly the public will get more interested in this and put pressure on their leaders.
AArlington is offline  
Old Dec 6, 13, 4:14 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Everywhere
Programs: AA EXP - 3.5MM, Bonvoy LIFETIME Titanium Elite, HH Diamd, Priority Clb PLT, Ntnl Exec, Sixt PLT
Posts: 1,352
Originally Posted by AArlington View Post
When the public realizes they pay $5 for the privilege if taking off their shoes when they fly the public will get more interested in this and put pressure on their leaders.
- Public should be asked to pay the fee in cash when going through TSA security. This will bring more attention to the issue.
Alex_I is offline  
Old Dec 6, 13, 4:15 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 18,818
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 View Post
I am with the airlines on this one. No to tax increases. Airports are essential not only to PAX but also to logistics and should be publicly funded.

Publicly funded by users of airports, not general tax revenues.
Boggie Dog is online now  
Old Dec 6, 13, 4:15 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Anywhere I need to be.
Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 16,046
Originally Posted by AArlington View Post
Let the flying public pay for the costs in proportion to their flying.

I think the entire TSA budget (ok, the part spent for aviation security) should come from use taxes.

But I don't think the "tax" should be included when buying a ticket.

Make passengers pay it separately. Pay it when they show their ID; buy a coupon book of TSA checkpoint-passing stamps... something.

When the public realizes they pay $5 for the privilege if taking off their shoes when they fly the public will get more interested in this and put pressure on their leaders.
Hell no.
Have you seen what happens in MNL where this system is in place?
Queue to pay tax, then queue to exit the Phillipines, then queue for security....
Look at HKG-arguably one of the best airports in the world, and connecting PAX do not need to pay taxes even though they use immigration/security services.
Even so, I believe that I contribute more than it costs to screen/pass me through HKG. (though flying out of there often may have something to do with it...)
AA_EXP09 is offline  
Old Dec 6, 13, 9:21 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arlington VA
Posts: 5,734
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 View Post
Hell no.
Have you seen what happens in MNL where this system is in place?
Queue to pay tax, then queue to exit the Phillipines, then queue for security....
Look at HKG-arguably one of the best airports in the world, and connecting PAX do not need to pay taxes even though they use immigration/security services.
Even so, I believe that I contribute more than it costs to screen/pass me through HKG. (though flying out of there often may have something to do with it...)
I got the idea in Thailand and a SA country.

Yes it is inconvenient.

Maybe PAX could buy a punch card to speed things up.

Point is -- it needs to be a separate, noticeable transaction to the passenger.

Family of 4 leaving to go to Disney -- $20 there; $20 return. That's what they pay now --- they just don't realize it.
AArlington is offline  
Old Dec 7, 13, 12:06 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: out my front door 60 min prior to IAH flight until they increased the check in time to 45 min
Programs: CO Platinum or UA 1K for so long, now almost 2MM
Posts: 294
Anybody remember when airlines used to provide security themselves?

Isn't TSA there in part to shield airlines from liability in the event of something similar to 9/11 again?
arisaa is offline  
Old Dec 7, 13, 3:58 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Van down by the river
Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
Posts: 718
Completely predictable after the knee jerk to decision to create the "TSA" in the first place. They would just become a bloated govt agency.

It's unskilled labor and yet those guys are getting full Govt benefits and avg salaries of $40k. And you know they stand around whining about being "underpaid".

TSA = Thousands Standing Around
wethereyet is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: