Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Richmond TSA screener Michael Luedecke arrested for shooting his father

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Richmond TSA screener Michael Luedecke arrested for shooting his father

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2013, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats

Last edited by MikeMpls; Nov 24, 2013 at 10:45 pm Reason: removing all my recent TS/S content since any effort here seems to be unappreciated
Old Nov 20, 2013, 1:25 pm
Suspended

So... Richmond doesn't have any "Behavioral Detection" voodoo practitioners on staff?

Or are they just completely ineffective, as the GAO, Nature Magazine, and anyone with a scintilla of common sense concluded years ago?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 1:43 pm

Did Luedecke shoot his father at an airport? If not, then there was nothing for a BDO to detect.

Nothing to see here, please move along ...
Old Nov 20, 2013, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats

Last edited by MikeMpls; Nov 24, 2013 at 10:42 pm Reason: removing all my recent TS/S content since any effort here seems to be unappreciated
Old Nov 20, 2013, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
The quality of people that TSA hires is eminently relevant -- they're not angels at work, devils elsewhere. You're free to move yourself along, but the rest of us will have our discussion.
You want to have a discussion about the quality of TSA hires? That's great.

I object to bringing up BDOs in this discussion when it's completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

"Mr. Supervisor? I've been observing my fellow TSO Mr. Luedecke while he performs his screening duties, and my keen observational skills tell me that he's going to go home and murder his father."
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jkhuggins

I object to bringing up BDOs in this discussion when it's completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

"Mr. Supervisor? I've been observing my fellow TSO Mr. Luedecke while he performs his screening duties, and my keen observational skills tell me that he's going to go home and murder his father."
That's exactly what the SPOTniks claim the ability to do.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Caradoc
That's exactly what the SPOTniks claim the ability to do.
Citation, please.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Citation, please.
The TSA has repeatedly claimed the ability to discern hostile or deceptive behaviors via observation of "micro-expressions" in less than thirty seconds of "interaction" between a "behavioral detection" practitioner and a passenger.

Are we now supposed to believe that they can't tell one of their co-workers is dangerously unbalanced despite working shoulder-to-shoulder with them for weeks, months, or years?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 3:26 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)

No at all. Its completely relevant. These voodoo touts harass people over all kinds of things unrelated to airport/aircraft safety and have an appalling false positive record. If they can't spot something as obvious as the intent to murder from someone they spend all day working with, then they really are no better than random chance at detecting terrorism at the airport.

These TSA employees provide nothing through their snake oil behavior detection.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
According to this, the SPOT program only targets behavioral cues that indicate a person is a threat to aviation safety. So the SPOTnik may discern from microexpressions that a person is going to leave the airport and do some dastardly deed, but that's not in their mission statement so they don't have to report it.

Of course, it's all hogwash. We know that. Just part of the first act of the play.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The TSA declined to say how long Luedecke, who stands 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighs 147 pounds, had worked for the agency.
The spokesholes don't even say that they hold all TSA employees to the highest ethical standards anymore.

Since my home Commonwealth has a bunch of Hanging Judges, I wonder if this guy will be the first TSA clerk to have an appointment with "The Needle?"
Old Nov 21, 2013, 5:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
The spokesholes don't even say that they hold all TSA employees to the highest ethical standards anymore.

Since my home Commonwealth has a bunch of Hanging Judges, I wonder if this guy will be the first TSA clerk to have an appointment with "The Needle?"
Hopefully so. If Henrico doesn't have the stones to do it, they should send him up to Prince William County.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
Hopefully so. If Henrico doesn't have the stones to do it, they should send him up to Prince William County.
Maybe we could move the body across the county line???
Old Nov 21, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
How sad and sickening. I definitely recognize this guy's picture from my travels through RIC...he was an ID checker at least part of the time.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by TheRoadie
According to this, the SPOT program only targets behavioral cues that indicate a person is a threat to aviation safety. So the SPOTnik may discern from microexpressions that a person is going to leave the airport and do some dastardly deed, but that's not in their mission statement so they don't have to report it.
Thank you. This is my point. SPOT is (a) aimed at passengers, not fellow TSA employees, and (b) only designed to look for threats to aviation.

To criticize TSA for not identifying Luedecke ahead of time with a program that was never designed for that purpose is preposterous. Furthermore, TSA advocates will point out how preposterous it is, and use that to continue to justify current TSA practices.

We have plenty of good reasons to criticize TSA for the manner in which it appears to screen its own employees. We also have plenty of good reasons to criticize the SPOT program. Why confuse matters by bringing unrelated topics together? Our criticisms will be far more effective if we stick to the point, rather than just issuing knee-jerk criticisms of anything with a TSA label attached.

(Oh, wait, this is the Internet. Never mind. Carry on with the knee-jerk criticisms, then ...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.