Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Richmond TSA screener Michael Luedecke arrested for shooting his father

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Richmond TSA screener Michael Luedecke arrested for shooting his father

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2013, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Because the mere existence of TSA led Luedecke to kill his father, right?
No, but his home life explains much as to why he was a TSA employee.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Caradoc
No, but his home life explains much as to why he was a TSA employee.

It reads as if father and clerk son both had hair triggers, not the way typical domestic disputed end.

This short "bio" in the news story also speaks volumes:

Luedecke, a Douglas S. Freeman High School graduate who carried a nearly straight-A average and who worked the post-midnight shift as a part-time TSA employee at Richmond International Airport,...
What can clerks possibly be doing on graveyard at a small-ish airport? Mopping floors and inspecting the booty from the "surrender bins"???
Old Nov 23, 2013, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
What can clerks possibly be doing on graveyard at a small-ish airport? Mopping floors and inspecting the booty from the "surrender bins"???
Exactly my point. What can be "expected" of any "employee" of the current TSA?
Old Nov 23, 2013, 7:24 pm

According to the airport's website, the checkpoint opens at 4:30am. Depending on what "the graveyard shift" means, he could've been part of the team that opens the checkpoint.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 7:30 pm
Suspended

According to the airport's website, the checkpoint opens at 4:30am. Depending on what "the graveyard shift" means, he could've been part of the team that opens the checkpoint.
It's more likely that such a "shift" involves extorting freebies from the vendors/concessionaires at that particular airport than anything resembling "work."
Old Nov 23, 2013, 7:34 pm

It's more likely that such a "shift" involves extorting freebies from the vendors/concessionaires at that particular airport than anything resembling "work."
Again, from the airport's website, all concessions close when the last flight departs and don't re-open until the checkpoint opens at 4:30pm. Seems like it'd be awfully unlikely to find anyone to extort.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 7:39 pm
Suspended

all concessions close when the last flight departs and don't re-open until the checkpoint opens at 4:30pm. Seems like it'd be awfully unlikely to find anyone to extort.
Do you honestly believe that "open" and "extortable" are related?

Seriously?

Do you honestly expect anyone else to believe that you're asserting that the employees of those vendors and concessionaires don't have to be there before the actual "opening" of the shop/concession?
Old Nov 23, 2013, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
What can clerks possibly be doing on graveyard at a small-ish airport?
Restocking the swab and glove supply. Making sure the UV flashlights have new batteries. Drain the image memories of the NOS. That sort of stuff.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TheRoadie
Restocking the swab and glove supply.
More likely "picking through the trash and putting dirty gloves and swabs back into the boxes."

But your attribution isn't mine. Could you correct, please?
Old Nov 23, 2013, 8:14 pm

Do you honestly believe that "open" and "extortable" are related?

Seriously?

Do you honestly expect anyone else to believe that you're asserting that the employees of those vendors and concessionaires don't have to be there before the actual "opening" of the shop/concession?
Sure, vendors have to be there before the shop opens. And they don't have to open the doors of the shop to talk to someone wandering the concourse before hours like a TSO --- especially one who, as has been pointed out here numerous times, has no authority over anything but the checkpoint (and even there, only has limited authority).

But this whole thread has been preposterous since the first posting. Have fun, everyone ... I'm out.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 9:07 pm
Suspended

And they don't have to open the doors of the shop to talk to someone wandering the concourse before hours like a TSO --- especially one who, as has been pointed out here numerous times, has no authority over anything but the checkpoint (and even there, only has limited authority).
Sure they don't. Unless they want their supplies/product to be available for sale in a timely fashion, they're entirely free to tell the TSA what they can do with their "magic paper" searches and whatnot.

But this whole thread has been preposterous since the first posting. Have fun, everyone ... I'm out.
I'll bet a dollar you'll be back in this thread to add your additional two cents at some point.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 11:36 pm

So many are judgemental

There are a number of comments here speaking about BDO/TSA. What article did you read that cited that it was his intent to kill his father? Its a tragedy for the family and for Michael. If you don't have all of the details of the situation, please don't comment. TSA has a number of issues. That cannot be disputed. But you cannot expect someone to notice behaviors that don't exist. They are not psychics or mind readers. If he did not intend to kill his father, there was nothing to detect.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 2:56 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by ProudtobeMe
There are a number of comments here speaking about BDO/TSA. What article did you read that cited that it was his intent to kill his father? Its a tragedy for the family and for Michael. If you don't have all of the details of the situation, please don't comment. TSA has a number of issues. That cannot be disputed. But you cannot expect someone to notice behaviors that don't exist. They are not psychics or mind readers. If he did not intend to kill his father, there was nothing to detect.
Agreed, this thread jumped off topic and has stayed there for a bit. It is a terrible tragedy (regardless of Michaels intent). A family has had a terrible event happen, that has always altered their future and has caused them pain. There will not be many details to come out about this until the trial (most likely). However, based on the comments in the most recent articles, it seems there is more to the story than just some guy murdered his dad - which is what the initial headlines would suggest. Time will give us more info on this, I hope the family can find peace, that the truth comes out, and that Justice is done.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 3:04 am

Programs: TSA
It reads as if father and clerk son both had hair triggers, not the way typical domestic disputed end.

This short "bio" in the news story also speaks volumes:

Soooo, based on the bio you can conclude that he was a pretty decent student that had little or no disciplinary problems while in school, and that he was working a part time job after midnight - which sounds like a pretty decent kid trying to make some money. There are a number of things that may be done on an overnight shift, I have worked them here before (intermittently for me, but we have had an overnight shift here).

I do not get that both had hair triggers, based on the most recent articles, it sounds as though a domestic situation escalated until a terrible end came about - it happens all the time, all over the world. It is terrible and none of these folks will ever be the same.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
Soooo, based on the bio you can conclude that he was a pretty decent student that had little or no disciplinary problems while in school, and that he was working a part time job after midnight - which sounds like a pretty decent kid trying to make some money. There are a number of things that may be done on an overnight shift, I have worked them here before (intermittently for me, but we have had an overnight shift here).

I do not get that both had hair triggers, based on the most recent articles, it sounds as though a domestic situation escalated until a terrible end came about - it happens all the time, all over the world. It is terrible and none of these folks will ever be the same.
I know a fair amount about the Richmond area. There are PLENTY of night/graveyard employment opportunities that pay a lot more than a TSA clerk earns. For that matter, there are plenty of full-time day jobs for someone with a HS diploma. I would say that there is something amiss about a kid who graduated from HS with good grades and who couldn't find (or hold) a decent-paying full-time job in a state capital.

In terms of your conclusion about his personality and background, the only thing we have to go on his what the newspaper reported. All of his HS records and any juvenile court records would be sealed. And, of course, his TSA background investigation would have turned up nothing.

I do not get that both had hair triggers, based on the most recent articles, it sounds as though a domestic situation escalated until a terrible end came about - it happens all the time, all over the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.