Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

tsa screening inbound international flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP, Anti tsa

Flew ba 217 lhr iad yesterday. Upon reaching corridor that takes you to mobile lounge to cbp, there were 2 tsa clerks standing around in corridor doing nothing. Any idea what they were there for?
Old Oct 28, 2013, 1:25 pm

Programs: HH-S WS-G
Originally Posted by cleareddirectfluky
standing around in corridor doing nothing.
I think you just answered your own question
Old Oct 28, 2013, 3:12 pm

TSA guys standing around doing nothing?
Sorry, I just can't picture it.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 3:21 pm

Programs: TSA
Only to the untrained eye did it appear that they were doing nothing.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 4:13 pm
Suspended

To the trained eye, it's obvious they're doing nothing.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Officers often are deployed throughout the sterile area. Nothing to be particularly concerned about.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 5:32 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Often1
Officers often are deployed throughout the sterile area. Nothing to be particularly concerned about.
TSA employees doing nothing are a waste of taxpayer and passenger funds. It's definitely something to be concerned about. They should be cleaning the restrooms, resurfacing an active runway, or laid off. Permanently.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA clearly has excess personnel. Time for a RIF. 25% reduction seems about right.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 6:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
They're not officers. They are neither sworn nor do they hold any sort of warrant. They're clerks. They have one lawful function and milling about wasting taxpayer money outside of a checkpoint exceeds it.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 6:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by eyecue
And to the trained eye they are simply often standing about doing nothing.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eyecue
Well, let's just say that this is a "trained eye" talking who deals with you people on a frequent basis in interagency working groups. I know that's a foreign concept out there in Denver.

You won't comprehend it; but, rest assured that your agency and your bosses really are clueless and really are the laughing stock of the U.S. national security sector.

So, yes... These clerks really were just standing around.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 7:02 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
TSA clearly has excess personnel. Time for a RIF. 25% reduction seems about right.
100% RIF (Reduction in Farce) is about right. Airport and airline security should be the sole purview of airports and airlines. The federal government should have zero say in the matter.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 7:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
What airports have you seen them at? I've never noticed a TSA agent in the secure area for arriving international fights handled by CBP and would be surprised if they trust them enough to be in that secure area.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 7:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by cleareddirectfluky
Flew ba 217 lhr iad yesterday. Upon reaching corridor that takes you to mobile lounge to cbp, there were 2 tsa clerks standing around in corridor doing nothing. Any idea what they were there for?
One risk here is that someone coming into the U.S. with large amounts of cash, precious metals, jewelry or even drugs could just pass them off to the TSA agent before they every get to a CBP station where they would be subject to search and having to declare the items. Seems like a good workaround if TSA employees are allowed to position themselves somewhere along the secure route to where you present your passport and declaration form. They could conspire with a passenger to bypass CBP. Easier than stealing a MacBook at a checkpoint.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spiff
100% RIF (Reduction in Farce) is about right. Airport and airline security should be the sole purview of airports and airlines. The federal government should have zero say in the matter.
I agree that screeners should be employees/contractors of the airline/airport companies. I believe oversight should be a government agency, FAA.

I see the above as long term, for now TSA needs to slim down since TSA is clearly a bloated agency. Don't think cutting Pistole would hurt since he doesn't do anything but take a paycheck home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.