Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Checking Databases long before people fly: NYT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Checking Databases long before people fly: NYT

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2013, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
This article needed to be on the front page of the Times for all the world to see, not tucked into the Business section.
It's on the front page, front and center. The jump page is B8.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by yandosan
As of mid-2011, terrorist threat groups present in the Homeland are not known to be actively ....

I'm not sure if the greatest consequence of 911 was the
destruction of life and property or the fact that it transformed the
nation into a "Homeland."
^ Well said...
Old Oct 23, 2013, 2:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This isn't news to me.

The TSA propaganda team is lying .... yet again.

Originally Posted by javabytes
All that data the NSA is collecting will eventually be put to use for things exactly like this. Other agencies won't be able to keep their hands off it. Before long your criticism of the TSA in this forum will get you SSSS'd or worse.
Indeed. And the ACA healthcare/insurance info may end up being used too -- oh wait, it already had been used.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by chucko
It's on the front page, front and center. The jump page is B8.
Yes, it was front and center of the print edition of the Times, which I realized after I wrote that. In the digital edition, it was way down the front page, easily missed.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by brandsberg
The Europeans are all laughing that we spend so much time and money on grandma and little kids instead of looking more closely at those who might be the real risks.

In Europe I barely get a glance but here at podunk airports they take apart all my luggage. We checked in at a small airport last summer and missed out flight even though we checked in the required hour ahead of time. The line was backed up all the way down the airport and they took apart ALL our bags even though my husband works in a job that requires a clearance.

As a result we missed our connecting flight overseas and had to pay a change fee.
One of the commenters to the NY Times article wrote:

For just over a year, I helped my daughter run a cafe/ gift shop in a very small resort airport. I was well known to all of the TSA personnel and some of them were our customers. Even so, when my husband and I left on a trip last March, they went through my carry-on and practically strip searched my 85 year old husband whose arm was still in a sling following rotator cuff surgery. Two of them took him into a private room and made him remove most of his clothes. I accompanied him into that room so I saw what lengths they went to. Disgusting behavior on their part. Their excuse, they "mustn't discriminate." Not only that, but one day, one of the TSA people came into the shop and insisted on putting me through a wipe off test for explosive residue!!!

Last edited by petaluma1; Oct 23, 2013 at 5:59 am Reason: I found the comment
Old Oct 23, 2013, 6:41 am
Suspended

The Europeans are all laughing that we spend so much time and money on grandma and little kids instead of looking more closely at those who might be the real risks.
Who are the "those who might be the real risks"? The TSA has no more or less of a clue than their European equivalents. The difference is that the TSA has way more a dog and pony show than (most) European airports, even as the TSA is involved in some ways at some European airports.

At US airports, the chances of even those "scary" "foreign" "men" being "real risks" to my flights is just about the same as the Scandinavian grandmothers and Chilean toddler-age relatives being "real risks" to my flights.

In Europe I barely get a glance but here at podunk airports they take apart all my luggage. We checked in at a small airport last summer and missed out flight even though we checked in the required hour ahead of time. The line was backed up all the way down the airport and they took apart ALL our bags even though my husband works in a job that requires a clearance.

As a result we missed our connecting flight overseas and had to pay a change fee.
Background checks and clearances are meaningless. We just had to can a NSC employee despite multiple background checks and very high level security clearances and the flexibility to take whatever national security careerist wonk job he wanted as a member of White House staff, at State or DOD. So much for those FBI and USIS checks and the clearances granted/retained after the checking.

The TSA doesn't know how to reliably interdict contraband WEIs despite its huge budget -- in large part that is because the TSA is way too obsessed with identity checks, boarding pass checks, background checks and "profiling" of passengers in the main.

The TSA should never have been allowed to try to do anything more than the bare minimum to reliably interdict contraband WEIs. Instead we have a TSA that is doing too much and unable to do anything very well beside maintaining a bloated budget.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 7:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The TSA should never have been allowed to try to do anything more than the bare minimum to reliably interdict contraband WEIs.
Although... they're not very good at that, either.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/TSA...116497568.html
Old Oct 23, 2013, 7:43 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
At US airports, the chances of even those "scary" "foreign" "men" being "real risks" to my flights is just about the same as the Scandinavian grandmothers and Chilean toddler-age relatives being "real risks" to my flights.
The probabilistic risk of any individual being a threat, regardless of characteristics, is so close to zero that trying to compare the risks, even to say "just about the same" is completely meaningless. But it's also silly to deny that orders of magnitude more "scary" "foreign" (pick a country) "men" have attempted to attack aircraft than Chilean toddlers. Both numbers are so low that any system at all is going to be overwhelmed by false positives.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 7:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Caradoc
Although... they're not very good at that, either.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/TSA...116497568.html
... which is in large part why they shouldn't have been allowed to do more than try to interdict contraband WEIs. When the organization performs poorly on a rather basic function, granting it more functions to "improve" seems like a recipe for a mess -- a mess we now have.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 8:01 am
Suspended

When the organization performs poorly on a rather basic function, granting it more functions to "improve" seems like a recipe for a mess -- a mess we now have.
Hey, now. It's not like anyone has given them a chance to actually get "good" at anything.

Oh, wait - they've had a dozen years to get good at something, and they're not even good at lying about what they're good at.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Caradoc
Hey, now. It's not like anyone has given them a chance to actually get "good" at anything.

Oh, wait - they've had a dozen years to get good at something, and they're not even good at lying about what they're good at.
But TSA is good at lying.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 8:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
But TSA is good at lying.
Frequency =!= skill.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by petaluma1
All this is made even worse because the TSA let slip just recently in certain court documents that:

"“As of mid-2011, terrorist threat groups present in the Homeland are not known to be actively plotting against civil aviation targets or airports; instead, their focus is on fundraising, recruiting, and propagandizing . . . there have been no attempted domestic hijackings of any kind in the 12 years since 9/11.”
TSA didn't actually say this. The quote is from the legal brief of someone who's _suing_ TSA.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
TSA didn't actually say this. The quote is from the legal brief of someone who's _suing_ TSA.
You are correct that it is contained in a legal brief.

However, it comes directly from the Administrative Record, which is referenced at least 4 times in the course of that brief.

The quoted section is the only instance of these 4 where the Administrative Record is directly quoted, as indicated by the quotation marks in the unredacted sealed brief as filed with the Court.

The TSA did actually state "terrorist threat groups present in the Homeland are not known to be actively plotting against civil aviation targets or airports".
Old Oct 24, 2013, 6:32 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold

We just had to can a NSC employee despite multiple background checks and very high level security clearances and the flexibility to take whatever national security careerist wonk job he wanted as a member of White House staff, at State or DOD.
Jofi Joseph, perchance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.