Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Checking Databases long before people fly: NYT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:35 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL

Surprised nobody picked up on this from today's NY Times, as this is a huge expansion of what TSA is doing behind the scenes.

The Transportation Security Administration is expanding its screening of passengers before they arrive at the airport by searching a wide array of government and private databases that can include records like car registrations and employment information.

While the agency says that the goal is to streamline the security procedures for millions of passengers who pose no risk, the new measures give the government greater authority to use travelers’ data for domestic airport screenings. Previously that level of scrutiny applied only to individuals entering the United States.

The prescreening, some of which is already taking place, is described in documents the T.S.A. released to comply with government regulations about the collection and use of individuals’ data, but the details of the program have not been publicly announced...

The official added that these rules consider things like an individual’s travel itinerary, length of stay abroad and type of travel document, like a passport. If an airline has a traveler’s passport number on file, it is required to share that information with the T.S.A., even for a domestic flight.

The agency also receives a code indicating a passenger is a member of the airline’s frequent-flier program and has access to details about past travel reservations, known as passenger name records. This official could not confirm if that information was being used to assess a passenger’s risk...

Data in the Automated Targeting System is used to decide who is placed on the no-fly list — thousands of people the United States government has banned from flying — and the selectee list, an unknown number of travelers who are required to undergo more in-depth screening, like Mr. Darrat. The T.S.A. also maintains a PreCheck disqualification list, tracking people accused of violating security regulations, including disputes with checkpoint or airline staff members.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/22/bu...ted=1&_r=0&hpw

So, in essence, TSA is running a background check drawing on multiple sources on everyone every time they fly and using some sort of computer algorithm to determine whether they're a "risk".

I find the scope and breadth of this sort of snooping around databases to be really disturbing. It is truly the Surveillance State run amok.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The victim profiled (bad choice of words!) in the article is obviouslt guilty of Flying While Brown:

That has happened to Abdulla Darrat, an urban planner from Queens who said he was flagged for extra scrutiny all eight times he flew since June. When he tries to check in online, a message tells him to check in at the airport, where he receives a boarding pass marked with “SSSS” indicating that he must undergo enhanced screening. His name has been handwritten on a card at the podium where an agent checks passengers’ identification, he said.

“They pat me down,” Mr. Darrat, 31, said. “Then they pull out every single article of clothing in my bag. They take out every shirt and every pair of pants.”

After the checkpoint search, which includes swabbing his luggage to check for explosive residue, he said he was often stopped at the gate before being allowed to fly. He said he assumed that the extra scrutiny was because he had flown to Libya to visit relatives. He also expressed support for protests against Muammar el-Qaddafi in 2011, but the extra scrutiny did not happen until this summer.

“It adds this whole air of suspicion about me to everybody on the plane,” he said.
If I were Mr. Darrat, I would make sure I packed my sweatiest, smelly gym clothes along with undies full of skid marks right on top.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 5:41 am

So, according to this article, boarding pass SSSS is back. Wish me luck - I was formerly watch listed, for reasons I never could understand.

Also see this:

Anyone who has never traveled outside the United States would not have a passport number on file and would therefore not be subject to the rules that the agency uses to determine risk
Now international travel makes you more suspicious. Lovely.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 5:58 am

This article needed to be on the front page of the Times for all the world to see, not tucked into the Business section.

A dispute with a TSA screener or airline personnel means disqualification for Pre-Check? I have no doubt that I would ever be granted Pre-Check status should I ever decide to travel by air again as I have been an extremely vocal critic of the TSA.

The invasions of privacy by the TSA are even worse than the NSA's, especially if TSA is sharing information with debt collection agencies.

All this is made even worse because the TSA let slip just recently in certain court documents that:

"“As of mid-2011, terrorist threat groups present in the Homeland are not known to be actively plotting against civil aviation targets or airports; instead, their focus is on fundraising, recruiting, and propagandizing . . . there have been no attempted domestic hijackings of any kind in the 12 years since 9/11.”

A despicable agency that needs to be dissolved.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 7:31 am

I have noticed weird cryptic comments from Customs officers in the last six months. Stuff they mumble that only someone who knew way more
than he should have would know...
Old Oct 22, 2013, 7:42 am

Programs: DL MM, DL DM, Marriott PP
I've had numerous disputes with TSA and police at several airports. Still get Precheck every time (twice a week).
Old Oct 22, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by MAMOHT
I've had numerous disputes with TSA and police at several airports. Still get Precheck every time (twice a week).
Have you shown ID to the TSA or filed a complaint? The police, if shown ID should not be releasing it to the TSA except in certain cases - as when a crime was committed.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
All this is made even worse because the TSA let slip just recently in certain court documents that:

"“As of mid-2011, terrorist threat groups present in the Homeland are not known to be actively plotting against civil aviation targets or airports; instead, their focus is on fundraising, recruiting, and propagandizing . . . there have been no attempted domestic hijackings of any kind in the 12 years since 9/11.”

A despicable agency that needs to be dissolved.
They were referring to the tea party.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 1:12 pm

As of mid-2011, terrorist threat groups present in the Homeland are not known to be actively ....

I'm not sure if the greatest consequence of 911 was the
destruction of life and property or the fact that it transformed the
nation into a "Homeland."
Old Oct 22, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
TSA blog now has a posting denying that they use car registration or employment info, or length of stay. Of course, this contradicts what a TSA official says in the article itself.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
TSA blog now has a posting denying that they use car registration or employment info, or length of stay. Of course, this contradicts what a TSA official says in the article itself.

TSA has used their blog as a propaganda piece all along. I would accept nothing said there as truth. TSA lies, always.

I also noticed that the latest article doesn't even have a persons name attached to it. I think that says a great deal.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by yandosan
I'm not sure if the greatest consequence of 911 was the destruction of life and property or the fact that it transformed the
nation into a "Homeland."
"The sun on the meadow is summery warm"...
Old Oct 22, 2013, 1:50 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Here's the pertinent part of that posting:

Prescreening of passengers is nothing new, and we are not using any new data to determine low risk passengers. Unfortunately some have confused these programs, so we wanted to take this opportunity to make clear what we are not doing:

We are not expanding the type of information we use – again we rely on the same security information passengers have been required to submit at time of booking for many years.
We are not using car registrations or employment information.
We are not using “private databases” – the info we rely on is the same info that passengers have provided for years when they book their flight.
TSA does not monitor a passenger’s length of stay in any location.
Let’s also remember that when it comes to TSA Pre✓™, passengers are choosing to apply for this program – having determined a small fee and a background check is worth expedited screening when they travel.

TSA has a very high bar when it comes to protecting the civil liberties of the traveling public. Our job is to make sure that passengers are able to travel safely, and the programs we have undertaken are designed to meet this goal while at the same time making your traveling experience a more positive one – moving from a one size fits all approach of security to one that provides a much larger part of the traveling population the opportunity to move through security faster and with less hassle.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 1:50 pm

...At the heart of the expanded effort is a database called the Automated Targeting System, which is maintained by the Department of Homeland Security and screens travelers entering the United States...
Whenever I see "Automated Targeting System," I think of drones.

...For instance, an update about the T.S.A.’s Transportation Security Enforcement Record System, which contains information about travelers accused of “violations or potential violations” of security regulations, warns that the records may be shared with “a debt collection agency for the purpose of debt collection.”...
Debt collection? For what possible reason? Where is the study that links debtors with terrorism? Has anybody in the federal government heard of mission creep or read the administrative search doctrine?

...A recent privacy notice about PreCheck notes that fingerprints submitted by people who apply for the program will be used by the F.B.I. to check its unsolved crimes database...
How can this be legal? Is this why TSA wants to exempt PreCheck from provisions of the Privacy Act of 1974?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
TSA has used their blog as a propaganda piece all along. I would accept nothing said there as truth. TSA lies, always.

I also noticed that the latest article doesn't even have a persons name attached to it. I think that says a great deal.
Nor did it reference the NY Times article. I'd honestly not noticed that no one at the TSA claimed credit for it.

Methinks the TSA was trying to expedite damage control and, in doing so, succeeded only in making matters worse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.