Search

TSA to open PreCheck to all for a fee

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Here is the PR:

http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/20...tsa-precheck-0

Frankly it is BS. I have Pre✓™ via the airline. The TSA Pre✓™ application program requires a background check and fingerprints. Yeah, the airline has a bunch of the same info for a background check. But I sure as !@#$ did not have to give them fingerprints.
The difference is that you have Pre with a specific airline. This new program (along with GE and Nexus) allows you to have Pre on every Pre-enabled airline.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Whether that is the intent or not, the practice is a bit different at least. Even now, some non-US citizens are getting PreCheck LLL screening outcomes indicated by way of their boarding passes.
Indeed.
I got Pre ORD-YUL once..
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: Underappreciated US CP, nobody status with everyone else.
Selfishly this can't help those that are Pre eligible now in that you'll have more passengers using the lines, many with little checkpoint savvy/experience.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
It absolutely does not make financial or security expense for someone to pay through TSA to get PreCheck when GE would give so much more (expedited DHS screening from International destinations) for $15 more dollars.

If Mr. Pistole wants up to 25% of passengers using the service, then it should be expanded to more locations. For example Pre Check at LGA's Central Terminal is in Concourse D, but not A or C.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:46 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by neuron
It absolutely does not make financial or security expense for someone to pay through TSA to get PreCheck when GE would give so much more (expedited DHS screening from International destinations) for $15 more dollars.

If Mr. Pistole wants up to 25% of passengers using the service, then it should be expanded to more locations. For example Pre Check at LGA's Central Terminal is in Concourse D, but not A or C.
It does make sense - while more Americans hold passports now than at any time in the past (+/- 33%, according to the Bureau of Consular Affairs in January), the majority of Americans (+/- 60%) still do not have passports. This program offers them a way to take advantage of expedited security screening without Global Entry. If one holds a US passport then for certain it is better to sign up via Global Entry.

I don't foresee the average domestic flyer laying out the money for this, especially families where there are multiple travelers. Just not worth it for the few annual trips they make. It might capture a wider net of the business traveler who don't hold passports or don't want to bother with Global Entry.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by halls120
I have yet to see anything close to a line at the IAD pre check - it's walk up, present BP, proceed to conveyor belt, drop bags, walk through WMD, grab bags, and I'm off. You could probably triple the number of people with pre check, and it wouldn't cause appreciable crowding.
Yesterday at CLT the Precheck line was quite long, because it was full of people who thought it was the F/elite line or whose BP didn't display the new-ish Precheck logo. I'd say about 10% of the line actually had Precheck. So this needs to be managed a lot better, at least at CLT.

Last edited by essxjay; Jul 20, 2013 at 11:57 am Reason: ref to deleted remark
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by born sleepy
Yesterday at CLT the Precheck line was quite long, because it was full of people who thought it was the F/elite line or whose BP didn't display the new-ish Precheck logo. I'd say about 10% of the line actually had Precheck. So this needs to be managed a lot better, at least at CLT.
This is happening more and more at DEN too. Many are going into precheck knowing they aren't eligible because if they fail you you get a front of the line premium line pass.

I'm much less afraid of the kettles as I am Southwest getting into the program. Then the line gets long......
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
I have yet to see anything close to a line at the IAD pre check - it's walk up, present BP, proceed to conveyor belt, drop bags, walk through WMD, grab bags, and I'm off. You could probably triple the number of people with pre check, and it wouldn't cause appreciable crowding.
Most airports pre-check line is as you describe. I have definitely seen a pre-check line of 10+ people multiple times at SFO T3 (still much better than the 50 people in the elite security line). But everyone at SFO seems to have status.

I agree this program will not likely have a big impact though, as most of the people willing to pay for it already have it.

Last edited by essxjay; Jul 20, 2013 at 11:58 am Reason: ref to deleted remark
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dll
It does make sense - while more Americans hold passports now than at any time in the past (+/- 33%, according to the Bureau of Consular Affairs in January), the majority of Americans (+/- 60%) still do not have passports. This program offers them a way to take advantage of expedited security screening without Global Entry. If one holds a US passport then for certain it is better to sign up via Global Entry.

I don't foresee the average domestic flyer laying out the money for this, especially families where there are multiple travelers. Just not worth it for the few annual trips they make. It might capture a wider net of the business traveler who don't hold passports or don't want to bother with Global Entry.
although the ratio of people holding passports are lower than most countries, I suspect that the % is much higher for those (business travelers) who would want the service (and not the ones who fly once or twice a yr). As for hassle or bother, if TSA is not doing a check of the passenger's then it lacks the whole purpose of why PreCheck exists! And to be honest, it was pretty easy to get PreCheck from DHS.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by neuron

It absolutely does not make security or financial sense for someone to pay through TSA when NEXUS is $50, and auto qualifies members for Global Entry.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I have not read all these posts, but I am so upset with this whole thing. I have GE but mostly travel domestically and have gleefully enjoyed (more than is healthy!) �� being the ONLY one in the domestic security line. Now that they're opening this up to everyone, doesn't it make sense that now everyone will be in the Precheck line? So there goes our domestic zoom through security advantage.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
It absolutely does not make security or financial sense for someone to pay through TSA when NEXUS is $50, and auto qualifies members for Global Entry.
The limited locations of NEXUS Enrollment Centers might make it impractical for some.

Originally Posted by Graciecatt
I have not read all these posts, but I am so upset with this whole thing. I have GE but mostly travel domestically and have gleefully enjoyed (more than is healthy!) �� being the ONLY one in the domestic security line. Now that they're opening this up to everyone, doesn't it make sense that now everyone will be in the Precheck line? So there goes our domestic zoom through security advantage.
OTOH I'm hopeful that even longer lines should be quicker, more efficient, and still hassle-free. I'm also hopeful (maybe foolishly) that this eventually leads to a gradual scaling-down of the worst excesses currently in place.

As Eliza Doolittle sang, Wouldn't it be loverly?
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Graciecatt
I have not read all these posts, but I am so upset with this whole thing.... Now that they're opening this up to everyone, doesn't it make sense that now everyone will be in the Precheck line?
Perhaps you should read the thread then? TSA isn't "opening this up to everyone"; rather, they're letting US citizens apply, submit to a background check, pay a hefty fee, and visit a TSA office to provide their fingerprints. As others have pointed out, the number of people who will take advantage of the new rules who aren't already GE members is probably vanishingly small.

If you're worried that they're doing the bureaucratic equivalent of opening the velvet rope to all travelers, I hope this puts your mind at ease!
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:48 am

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, AA EXP 1 MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5Star PC
Casual flyers are already thrifty enough, choosing the cheapest seats they can find. How many of them will really be willing to pony up the $85, go through the process with the interview six to twelve weeks out and meet all of the requirements? Most of them don't even like paying for bags (not that anyone does), but to charge them more for pre-screening a few times a year or once in a blue moon isn't really enticing to spend the money. They would rather put that down the slot machine in their "once-in-a-lifetime" vacation to Las Vegas.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
It won't be the same process, because it won't involve CBP, but simply TSA. It will by necessity be less intrusive, because they won't have to take into account the possibility that you might sneak something through customs, but simply whether you're a threat to safety. That's a much smaller percentage of people.

As a concrete example, my partner and I were quickly approved for Clear but both denied Global Entry. Still can't figure out why, as neither of us has ever had the slightest run-in with the law or CBP, but that's covered in another thread. I fly maybe 20 times a year, but I loathe security lines and will gladly pony up the $85.
The report states it will resemble the GE process. Not my words, USA Today and Pistole. The TSA is a wholly owned subsidiary of DHS, as is CBP.

The FF criterion for precheck is based on the assumption that if you travel a lot you aren't a bad guy. Absent meeting that assumption, the qualification proposed is background check and fingerprinting. I have GE and that was my drill.

Your assertion that TSA is less intrusive made me laugh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.