Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Showing claim checks at LGA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Hey yea! Never thought of that! "Double Agents"!
Guys dress up in red coats, ask people to see their bag tag receipt, and then assume their identity and cancel their future reservations on ual.com! Pretty sneaky way of being incognito and stealth all at at the same time.^
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Im sure they had to supply alot more info. But say they didnt as I said above whats to stop me from going to EWR,JFK or LGA in a few hours act as if I just came in on the flight and stand there and check tags on the bags as they go by getting the PNR and Name

And I do check tags numerous times every year, Im not loking at the names or PNR but instead to see if the bags came off the flight I just came in, nothing stops me from getting a name and PNR as well

Had the OP simply supplied their claim checks they wouldnt have been asked for any ID, but once they went off on that rep that ended that
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by craz
Im sure they had to supply alot more info. ...
no you do not (as is confirmed in the referenced thread and from personal experience)

... Had the OP simply supplied their claim checks they wouldnt have been asked for any ID, but once they went off on that rep that ended that
no argument there.
I have flown for long of enough to remember when claim checking was common and still occasional come across it.
(While only check bags when +1 is traveling, I have had an incident of someone else was leaving with my bags -- still not convinced it was an "accident.")
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Probably not...but since UA is usually slow about getting bags out, it's rare that I'm not there when my bag comes out. Now, had my bags been sent on a different flight & I wasn't there to receive them and they got stolen, then you're probably right.

Not sure why it's a natural assumption that I was stealing a bag? And if he really thought I was stealing the bag, why wouldn't he have called a cop over or tried to follow me when all I did was walk out and go straight to the taxi line?

Although I don't check bags all that often in the NYC area, when I have, I've never been asked. And even if I was, there's absolutely zero requirement for me to show my ID to someone who isn't law enforcement or even a UA employee. Had it been either, I may have reacted differently.

I admitted I may not have acted appropriately - however, doesn't give anyone the right to grab on to anyone else.

Also, if UA wants to enforce this policy, then they should 1) make it consistent everywhere and 2) put it in writing that it's their policy to do so.
Forget about UA in this case. You need to learn how to act in public. Totally uncalled for. Hardly something to get so worked up about. These things happen all the time in travel. Bothers you so much, perhaps travel isnt for you.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by moyeung
get real, you weren't assaulted at worse you were a victim of harassment, but on the other hand since you started with him too, he could have filed a cross complaint on you. after all he was doing his job making sure no one took luggage that didnt belong to them.
Are you sure there wasn't a crime? In California, for instance, the section on battery reads "A battery is any willful and unlawful use of force or violence upon the person of another." Seems to me like the deliberate stepping on the bag would be a use of force. Even spitting on someone in California is a battery. Is harassment a crime in New York? Is the NY state section on battery similar to what we have in CA?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:11 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Since the OP is asking a question about his privacy/security that is not specific to UA, please follow this in the Travel Safety/Security forum.

l'etoile
UA moderator
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:20 pm

Im sure they had to supply alot more info. But say tehy didnt as I said above whats to stop me from going to EWR,JFK or LGA in a few hours act as if I just came in on the flight and stand there and check tags on the bags as they go by getting the PNR and Name
SIGN POSTED ON EVERY CAROUSAL-EVERYWHERE! "Please check your luggage tag, as many bags look alike (or something close to that)!

Besides, what's to prevent someone from walking into the baggage claim area and walking out with anyone's bag. ----- Answer --- The guy with the red coat!

Some airports/airlines DO NOT provide this verification process and are rolling the dice that the cost of stolen baggage claims will be less than paying these employees.

Instead of getting pissed at the guy that was only doing what he was paid to do, and that was to make sure that someone else was not on the slopes the next day with his skis, the OP decided to tell him to "F" off!

We determined a month or so that someone can get your name and MP # off of the luggage tag that goes round & round, but the odds are a zillion to one that the guy in the red coat ain't your "perp"!!!

"Perp" is a shortened version of "Perpetrator".

Every police department in the world calls the bad guys suspects, except N.Y., and there they are referred to as "Perppatrataa's"!

So when contacting UA Customer Service with a MUCH NEEDED complaint about this employee @ LGA, it makes their investigation much easier if the description of guy your beefing is described as being a perpetrator dressed in a RED JACKET!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by grahampros
Forget about UA in this case. You need to learn how to act in public. Totally uncalled for. Hardly something to get so worked up about. These things happen all the time in travel. Bothers you so much, perhaps travel isnt for you.
+1!! I recall when airlines had claim check inspection at most major airports. It was all a pain, but I didn't have the experience I had another time and place where my suitcase went home with someone else because it looked a little like his suitcase.

As for dropping the F bomb and other linguistic treats, I think it is a deplorable benefit of the general coarsening of American public culture. Don't feel bad OP, you are right in synch with the muddle-headed adolescent style of many who are young and stupid--or at least look that way.

Flyer 420
who wonders what word the F-word users use when they really are upset.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by colpuck
I remembered being asked to see a claim check at every airport. But as staff has been cut and CCTV enlarged claim check gents have go by the way. Seems like you should have just showed him the tag.
Likewise, but that went the way of meals in Economy at most airports. I was surprised to see them still doing this at LGA, they must be the last airport in the country to do so. It used to be universal practice, and I certainly would rather have the temporary inconvenience than have my baggage stolen.

No offense, but I'm kind of surprised he didn't call the cops on OP.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Stores get shoplifted from all the time. Doesn't mean I'm going to show my receipt on the way out the door there either. Sometimes I'll play a little game... I ask if it's required. If they say no, then I'll show it to them. If they say yes, I keep right on going.

^ to OP for standing your ground. These guys need to learn that there's nothing preventing them from asking to see a receipt, but that they can't get violent when someone says no.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:27 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by tods27
I'm not sure why the redcoat asked to see the OPs ID. Usually you just need to show the claim check for the bag.
At LGA if you can't produce a bag check (say you used it as a bookmark and left the book on the plane for example), they will ask for an ID and check the name on the ID to the name on the check to make sure it's you.

They just want something to actually believe those are your bags for those who can't produce luggage claim checks.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:41 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
LGA is kinda weird. They have the redcoats checking your BP to see if you can go down the premier/elite or regular line (at the AA concourse, I had to convince him I was precheck eligible before he let me down that line); they still check baggage tags (every time in the CTB, for UA and AA); they always ask your name when checking IDs at security. They used to do that thing where they'd give you a green laminated card if you had a mobile BP... Just weird.

Originally Posted by javabytes
Stores get shoplifted from all the time. Doesn't mean I'm going to show my receipt on the way out the door there either. Sometimes I'll play a little game... I ask if it's required. If they say no, then I'll show it to them. If they say yes, I keep right on going.

^ to OP for standing your ground. These guys need to learn that there's nothing preventing them from asking to see a receipt, but that they can't get violent when someone says no.
So you purposely antagonize someone doing their jobs because you can or to teach them a lesson in dealing with a-holes? real fun...
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
So you purposely antagonize someone doing their jobs because you can or to teach them a lesson in dealing with a-holes? real fun...
To be fair, some of those people [not all, obviously] do go too far - how many times have you heard stories about the receipt checkers in stores acting like the request can be used as a demand/reason to detain? When you're not legally required to show a receipt at a store on your way out [though you may face consequences in the way of being / not being allowed back in that store]?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:04 pm

How is the OP supposed to know that he's REQUIRED to show his receipts ?
Most airports in the world do not have this procedure. Imagine if you had to do that in North America or other hubs in Europe.

They should first put up signs for pax so that pax are not suspicious/alarmed when some minimum wage goof shows up and starts demanding. How does the pax know they are genuine and not trying to scam the incoming pax ??

I thought they did this in 3rd world, I guess LGA is also considered such now?
I guess the airport manager must be really dumb at LGA
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:15 pm

Programs: none
I may not be DYKWI, but I sure can act like one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.