Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Showing claim checks at LGA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by grahampros
It is not at all unsual to expect such things at an airport these days.
Yes, yes it is.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:20 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
It is highly unlikely that a thief would target the checked bag carousel for three reasons:
  1. The owner of any bag has a high probability of being in the area waiting for the bag increasing the chances significantly of getting caught.

2. We have restrained from putting significant valuables in checked bags at the suggestion of TSA and the airlines. The odds of getting something valuable has decreased.

3. The airline baggage handlers and the TSA have already gotten a shot at any good stuff long before it gets to its destination.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
It is highly unlikely that a thief would target the checked bag carousel for three reasons:
  1. The owner of any bag has a high probability of being in the area waiting for the bag increasing the chances significantly of getting caught.

2. We have restrained from putting significant valuables in checked bags at the suggestion of TSA and the airlines. The odds of getting something valuable has decreased.

3. The airline baggage handlers and the TSA have already gotten a shot at any good stuff long before it gets to its destination.
I think the area of richest targets would be the TSA locker rooms - they've already filtered the good stuff into their personal bags for transport home
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:47 am

Thirty-six hours later, and no-one has even attempted to answer my question (which was a repeat of the original question). Anyone want to try addressing the topic at hand?

Let me repeat the question ...

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Seems to me like most people here are missing the point of the original question.

Yes, we all understand why the OP was asked to produce his luggage receipts. Yes, we understand that the procedure is in place to try to reduce the incidence of lost/stolen luggage.

But the question was this: was the OP required to produce the information upon demand? By what authority? And upon whose demand?

After all ... if I buy myself a nice spiffy jacket and a shiny badge and walk into the LGA baggage claim area and start demanding that passengers produce the receipts for their bags, how is anyone suppose to know that I'm an @#$!hole just doing this for entertainment and not someone authorized to demand that information?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Thirty-six hours later, and no-one has even attempted to answer my question (which was a repeat of the original question). Anyone want to try addressing the topic at hand?

Let me repeat the question ...
Let me try.

No, he is not required to show the receipt to anyone that is not an airline employee or otherwise authorized to ask, such as an LEO.

Having refused to show ID or the receipt, he should also not be surprised when an LEO is called because the Red Jacket person suspects that he is stealing luggage.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Let me try.

No, he is not required to show the receipt to anyone that is not an airline employee or otherwise authorized to ask, such as an LEO.

Having refused to show ID or the receipt, he should also not be surprised when an LEO is called because the Red Jacket person suspects that he is stealing luggage.
The guy was authorized to ask for ID. Just not authorized to compel it. Key distinction for people like this - just like receipt checkers in stores.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 1:18 pm

> It is highly unlikely that a thief would target the checked bag carousel for three reason

In ~30 years, I've had three folks try to walk-off with my bag(s). I am
convinced that one was a thief it ramp-rat attire. The other two were
(nutty) Clampetts (that fixated on the wrong bag - that did not even
vaguely resemble their bag).

Anybody can ask anyone for anything. Given that there was no signage
and it is not in the CoC, the OP is fine to just keep walking.

Sadly; he let the red coat bait him into unacceptable behavior.

Why are we paying for these red coats? It's the final act, in this episode
of security theater.

Whenever I find myself in this type of situation, I try to keep my yap shut
and my iPhone's video recorder running. An investigation is a LOT simpler
when there is both video and audio.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 2:27 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Thirty-six hours later, and no-one has even attempted to answer my question (which was a repeat of the original question).
The oriignial question was about the OP feeling he was assaulted by a LGA employee until they changed the title of the thread. At no point did they ask if they were required to show the claim checks, others asked that later in the thread. It was clearly answered in the first post, as they left without showing any ID or claim checks, so no, they were not required to show them.

Police arrest 4 adults, 2 children accused of stealing airport luggage

Man arrested for allegedly stealing luggage from Delta (actually his second arrest for doing it)

Police bust 2 in airport baggage thefts

Baggage claim bandit steals 15K from airport terminal

Baggage theft suspects arrested
Old Feb 23, 2013, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
The oriignial question was about the OP feeling he was assaulted by a LGA employee until they changed the title of the thread. At no point did they ask if they were required to show the claim checks, others asked that later in the thread. It was clearly answered in the first post, as they left without showing any ID or claim checks, so no, they were not required to show them.

Police arrest 4 adults, 2 children accused of stealing airport luggage

Man arrested for allegedly stealing luggage from Delta (actually his second arrest for doing it)

Police bust 2 in airport baggage thefts

Baggage claim bandit steals 15K from airport terminal

Baggage theft suspects arrested
Baggage theft is rare, Woodard said, adding that this is the first case in at least 10 years. As a result, it is not likely to trigger the need for changes in baggage claim security, he said.
I did not mean to say that it does not happen, just that it is unlikely, like Woodard in the fourth story says.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 7:56 pm

Sorry everyone, my Rimowa luggage has been stolen twice now. I have no objections to showing my tags upon leaving the baggage claim area.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Sorry everyone, my Rimowa luggage has been stolen twice now. I have no objections to showing my tags upon leaving the baggage claim area.
Then feel free to continue to do so.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
Then feel free to continue to do so.
Seems you couldn't grasp the point. Because no one checked the tags, the luggage was stolen. Get it now? Just asking.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 9:52 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
How can that be, as if you believe some of the posts here, people don't steal luggage from airports?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:41 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Thoughts? Suggestions? Flames ?
If everyone behaved like OP, would the world be a better place?
I think OP and I would have very different answers.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by cordelli
How can that be, as if you believe some of the posts here, people don't steal luggage from airports?
I believe that luggage is stolen at airports. I am also surprised that it does not happen more often as the actual act would be relatively easy. I offered three reasons why I thought it may not be a prevalent as it could be, and one of those was a humorous little slam at the TSA and baggage handlers.

I take great care to get to the claim in a hurry so that I can see every bag come out. My bag is relatively easy to spot, even at a distance. It does not look like expensive luggage, even though it is a mid-range bag that sells for about $300. I get there early as I do not want someone walking off with it without me seeing it happen.

Even with this, I suspect that luggage is not a common target as a thief can not know which bags contain valuables. They may decide that if the luggage is expensive, it has expensive stuff, but that is not guaranteed. My bag costs more than what I carry in it. It becomes a high risk endeavor with a significant potential of little reward.

I liked it when they used to check the claims. I remember when they did it at MDW as they had little gates that I had to pass through to get out of the claim area and there would often be a line of people waiting for checks to get out. Oddly, I still keep my claim handy in case I need to show it, but it has been years since I did. Well, except when the airline "misdirects" it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.