Wiki Posts
Search

Showing claim checks at LGA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:35 pm
Suspended

you have some anger management issues, get some help it's never too late
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:37 pm

It's a proven fact that giving up an E+ seat (twice) and riding in a middle seat has the tenancy to cause one's underwear to creep up thus causing uncontrollable anger usually taken out on nearly anyone of minimal authority that they happen to encounter. This phenomenon causes a restriction of blood flow to a persons upper extremity preventing them from just going along with the program and gracefully and politely doing what they are asked which would make it much easier and more pleasant for everyone involved.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Fair enough.

I admitted I acted like a jerk.

I only turned a bit nasty when I he stepped on my bag and when he refused to answer whether I was required to show.

Yep, I could have handled better.

But there should be consistency and policy if there are expectations.

Just my 2 cents...

Originally Posted by LilAbner
It's a proven fact that giving up an E+ seat (twice) and riding in a middle seat has the tenancy to cause one's underwear to creep up thus causing uncontrollable anger usually taken out on nearly anyone of minimal authority that they happen to encounter. This phenomenon causes a restriction of blood flow to a persons upper extremity preventing them from just going along with the program and gracefully and politely doing what they are asked which would make it much easier and more pleasant for everyone involved.
Nah...I was happy to help the mom. I would have reacted the same whether even if I was in F or E+...

Originally Posted by mike_asia
you have some anger management issues, get some help it's never too late

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 20, 2013 at 9:53 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bhatnasx

But there should be consistency and policy if there are expectations.
There is, when there happens to be a Bag checker and you are asked for your claim checks to make sure the bags are yours , show them to that person and be happy that its preventing someone from walking off with what must be expensive equipment
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
People please, the OP was delayed 40 minutes. Surely that excuses anyone for anything. Including maybe taking off with bags that aren't their's.

I mean, 40 minutes?!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Without getting into the details of the incident, this raises the question as to whether one is required to show their tags, and to whom.

Is there a sign that says you must show the tags to the PANYNJ employee? After all, there is sensitive information (name/PNR/etc.) on there, and they could use that to manipulate the record or whatnot.

This would be an interesting debate in the Travel Safety/Security forum.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by channa
Without getting into the details of the incident, this raises the question as to whether one is required to show their tags, and to whom.

Is there a sign that says you must show the tags to the PANYNJ employee? After all, there is sensitive information (name/PNR/etc.) on there, and they could use that to manipulate the record or whatnot.

Sensitive info??? in the OPs case they just ended their trip and if they didnt whats the big deal that someone can read the PNR and Name ?

You can go tomorrow to any airport walk up to a baggage belt and look at as many tags as you want getting all the names and PNRs you want.As can any employee that will handle the bag at anytime, maybe only the bag # and destinations should be on the Tags then w/o any name or PNR

Of cause when bags get lost and it takes days if not weeks to get them to us since alot more work will be required bet ya tons of folks will be screaming about how dumb it is not to have that info on the tags
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
I remember a while back LAS always did this (probably back in the mid to late 90s). I really don't see what the big deal is showing your claim check.

I'm not sure why the redcoat asked to see the OPs ID. Usually you just need to show the claim check for the bag.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by channa

I remember watching a local news report a few months ago (while I was on the road I think at ORD) about a UA customer who clicked on an older "flight reminder" email reminding him to check-in. He (for kicks and grins) clicked it and exposed other passengers name, passport number, seat number, flight info, phone number and pnr data.

UA's official stance was that it wasn't sensitive and brushed it off saying it wasn't an issue. Taking that same logic, they probably would brush this off too.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:11 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
What a great story, what a mouthpiece you have on you as well! I wouldn't want to step on your ski bag!

You were tired and stressed - and I know the taxi line at LGA, I rush to get there too, only for it to be 100 deep, so I get it.

In this case there's the part of me that values my peace of mind - and when you take the ripple effects of your actions - only on you - in terms of your well-being, was it worth it? Imagine, all the energy from the moment you started arguing to the conversation with others in the taxi line, to your emotional well-being in the cab ride home. Now you are worrying about someone having your name/locator number.

All this would not be had you just shown your luggage tags. You probably aged yourself by a month.

So, let's go through your concerns here...

Have I been asked to show my baggage tags at various airports over the course of flying a couple million miles? Yes, sporadically LGA, JFK, LAX and ORD in the US as well as a handful of other airports internationally.

If I were you...I would try to shake off what happened this evening and move on with life. I wouldn't worry about the red coat with your information... I wouldn't waste one more ounce of my energy on this, so I wouldn't write to UA either. You would probably get a form letter about theft, etc. anyway. But that's just me...

I wish you successful journies and peace of mind...it was nice of you to give your seat up for a center seat....

UG
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by downhillcrasher
Why would cabin of service matter for this checked baggage issue? If you had said "this type of thing is why i don't fly commercial", I would get it.
Because in the OP's lengthy beginning post he states that he is really a nice guy and gladly changed his E+ seat for others (twice) so they could sit together. Later on he states that if folks wanted to sit together and he was in F/C he would gladly switch with them and ride in the back. It's the issue that some flunky, who was doing his minimum wage job in some sort of a red coat, had the gall to request his bag tag receipt and/or I.D. that sent him over the top.

Frankly, instead of hot footing it home and posting his reasons for dropping the "F" bomb in public while hastily retreating from the baggage claim area, everyone would have probably been better served if he would have taken a cold shower or a hot bath instead (not necessarily in that order).

"Outta my way, 1K with skis comin' through"!!!

BTW, there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for this type of behavior, PERIOD!!!

....... and all the excuses that can be dreamed up that LGA doesn't have the right to request a verification, thus allowing someone else to walk off with someone else's property, is total b.s.!!!

Last edited by LilAbner; Feb 20, 2013 at 10:26 pm
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:23 pm

i think only United check bag tags in LGA, last time i flew Delta, they didnt see my bag tag.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
If I were you...I would try to shake off what happened this evening and move on with life. I wouldn't worry about the red coat with your information... I wouldn't waste one more ounce of my energy on this, so I wouldn't write to UA either. You would probably get a form letter about theft, etc. anyway. But that's just me...

I wish you successful journies and peace of mind...it was nice of you to give your seat up for a center seat....

UG
Thanks.

Already over it...but agree with channa's points.

The thing that annoyed me the most about this experience was:

1) The fact that the redcoat kept telling me I was required to show ID (which is just not true)

2) The fact that he physically stepped on my bag & grabbed my ski bag which pulled on my shoulder (thought not a huge deal and not mentioned in my previous post- I did have a torn labrum (oddly enough, due to a skiing accident) and shoulder surgery on it 2 years ago.

Had he responded appropriately when I asked if I was "required" to show it and not been a total prick himself, it likely would have ended differently.

But, such is life...I've moved on....
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by craz
.... whats the big deal that someone can read the PNR and Name ? ....
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...eone-else.html
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:29 pm

get real, you weren't assaulted at worse you were a victim of harassment, but on the other hand since you started with him too, he could have filed a cross complaint on you. after all he was doing his job making sure no one took luggage that didnt belong to them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.