Wiki Posts
Search

US Immigration Exit Tracking

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
If there are "sleepers" in the US, I have no idea what they are waiting for.
Maybe they were forgotten. Reminds me of that old Charles Bronson movie 'Telephone' or some such.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Maybe they were forgotten. Reminds me of that old Charles Bronson movie 'Telephone' or some such.
Telefon.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Telefon.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Robert Frost for those who are wondering..
Old Mar 19, 2012, 6:26 am

I'm assuming he meant when traveling by air; otherwise a simple drive through Europe would belie the claim.
Not quite. All Schengen countries have exit controls in place. The reason you don't get controls when travelling through a lot of continental Europe is because of Schengen.

At least with proper exit controls at airports the US could introduce international sterile zones that introduce international to international transfers without passing through border or custom controls.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by _windi_
Not quite. All Schengen countries have exit controls in place. The reason you don't get controls when travelling through a lot of continental Europe is because of Schengen.

At least with proper exit controls at airports the US could introduce international sterile zones that introduce international to international transfers without passing through border or custom controls.
Even if the US were to put in place additional exit controls -- as the US already has some that are electronically managed and may involve physical exit examination -- that does not mean that the US will necessarily allow international transfers without passing through immigration/customs at most US international airports. Rather, the US was not a fan of such transfer options even well before the last remaining ones in the US were shut down after 9/11.

Also, most US airports are not designed for such allowances.

Not all countries within the Schengen zone have physical exit controls in place, even as most of them do.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:17 am

So they are "in place" but you don't "get them".

I can't remember the last time I even stopped at a land border let alone got controlled.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
It will not happen in the US. You would have to rebuild a huge number of airports, building new terminals, staffing the new terminals, all of that. It's not just the huge airports, where it would cost tens or even a hundred billion dollars to create new "international" terminals. A lot of small airports have international flights to Canada and Mexico, and you would need to rebuild those as well.

It's a solution in search of a problem, like having TSA working checkpoints for subways and train stations.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:20 am

So they are "in place" but you don't "get them".

I can't remember the last time I even stopped at a land border let alone got controlled.
Because you went from one Schengen country to another. The point is to allow free movement within the Schengen area.

Once you leave a Schengen zone country for a non-Schengen country there are exit controls. For example from Poland into Belarus, from Greece into Turkey, from Hungary into Serbia, from Spain into Morocco.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:21 am

Not all countries within the Schengen zone have physical exit controls in place, even as most of them do.
Honestly, I'm curious which ones don't. And countries that are only surrounded by Schengen countries don't count as they obviously won't have (permanent) exit controls on land borders.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:16 am
Suspended

Honestly, I'm curious which ones don't. And countries that are only surrounded by Schengen countries don't count as they obviously won't have (permanent) exit controls on land borders.
How curious to exclude countries that have territory within the Schengen zone even as you included them above in form.

Also, even for some intra-Schengen travel, sometimes there are exit and/or entry controls, including but not limited to searches conducted for land border crossings.

Yesterday, customs had dogs checking trains and train passengers for Denmark-Sweden crossings -- even took over bathrooms!
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by catocony
It will not happen in the US. You would have to rebuild a huge number of airports, building new terminals, staffing the new terminals, all of that. It's not just the huge airports, where it would cost tens or even a hundred billion dollars to create new "international" terminals. A lot of small airports have international flights to Canada and Mexico, and you would need to rebuild those as well.

It's a solution in search of a problem, like having TSA working checkpoints for subways and train stations.
Indeed, although with traffic from Canada most of the Canada-US commercial carrier passenger traffic by air involves pre-clearance in Canada.

There's not only the financial cost for new physical plant allowances, there is also the costs that arise from not catering to the national paranoia about letting people transit the country by air without being always checked by US DHS types -- the emotionally-driven costs are what have already killed airside international tranist sections in the US.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by catocony
It's not just the huge airports, where it would cost tens or even a hundred billion dollars to create new "international" terminals. A lot of small airports have international flights to Canada and Mexico, and you would need to rebuild those as well.
Correct. The only way I see this even happening is to start regulating which airports can serve international destinations which would be more damaging to the local economy than good.

An example would be SAN. It's a small airport, but it's seeing lots of international growth from BA flights like LHR-SAN and even JAL starting NRT-SAN service end of this year. Trying to do this would involve spending millions in upgrading SAN for a dedicated international terminal or, revoking SAN from flying international flights.
Old May 20, 2013, 2:50 pm

New Airport Exit Controls for International Visitors

I am curious about how the proposed exit fingerprinting at airports would work.

http://abcnews.go.com/ABC_Univision/...ry?id=19217524

It seems like airports in the US are not set up in a way with exit passport control, as they are in other countries.

Also--how does this make things more secure if it only takes place in the 30 busiest airports?
Old May 20, 2013, 3:01 pm

The way things are going only Evil Terrorists will want to travel to & from the US.
Old May 20, 2013, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by guflyer
Also--how does this make things more secure if it only takes place in the 30 busiest airports?
It doesn't do anything at all for "security" even if implemented at every airport of exit.

It's just more nonsense from the Senate, led by the idiot Schumer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.