Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

$1B of Nude Body Scanners Made Worthless — How Anyone Can Get Anything Past TSA NoS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$1B of Nude Body Scanners Made Worthless — How Anyone Can Get Anything Past TSA NoS

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2012, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Affection
Just an occasional passing mention...

...TSA Blog - http://blog.tsa.gov/2012/03/viral-vi...-scanners.html (the comments are great )

--Jon
^^^^^
Old Mar 10, 2012, 9:04 am

It is on Chris Elliott's site now:
http://www.elliott.org/blog/how-many...can-we-afford/
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by TheRoadie
If they were smart, they would ENCOURAGE reporters to generalize that their technology doesn't work. That might embolden some bad guys into testing the system and getting caught in ways where the technology DOES work.
A) They are not smart.

B) There are no bad guys.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 6:57 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
The comments on the TSA blog web site are AWESOME!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
As I see it, I can now put a small pocket in my shirt at the side and carry a thin holder for my cash, CC's and ID's and it will be detected on neither the scanner nor the WTMD, and thus away from the grubby hands of the TSO's. The only risk is the random pat down, which is a risk anyway as they go through your stuff in detail.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
As I see it, I can now put a small pocket in my shirt at the side and carry a thin holder for my cash, CC's and ID's and it will be detected on neither the scanner nor the WTMD, and thus away from the grubby hands of the TSO's. The only risk is the random pat down, which is a risk anyway as they go through your stuff in detail.
An internal pocket, hidden from view and accessible only by the wearer of the garment, is also much safer from pick-pockets! Great idea! Practical AND Safe.

Some company specializing in travel and adventure wear should start making garments with these sort of pockets sewn onto the inner side seams. I wish I owned or held stock in that company.

Last edited by loops; Mar 12, 2012 at 11:16 am Reason: clarification...
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:55 am

Has anybody tried replicating this method of getting something through the scanners? I'm just curious what the TSA could do if they caught you, as long as the item being carried isn't prohibited. I know they can do a thorough bag seach and pat down, but as long as someone has enough time before their flight that shouldn't be an issue. I don't think they can claim artful concealment if the item is on your side. I also don't think they could go for interfering with the screening process either.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by loops
An internal pocket, hidden from view and accessible only by the wearer of the garment, is also much safer from pick-pockets! Great idea! Practical AND Safe.

Some company specializing in travel and adventure wear should start making garments with these sort of pockets sewn onto the inner side seams. I wish I owned or held stock in that company.
Works well if you're a thieving screener, too...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...hefts-mia.html
Old Mar 12, 2012, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by txrus
Works well if you're a thieving screener, too...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...hefts-mia.html

Yeah, I thought of that too... I suppose the TSA employees have known about about this weak layer in the screening process for some time and knew that if they themselves were to ever be subjected to any random screening at the checkpoint during their "work" shift that they'd be able to get the contraband i-pads through the AITs without an issue.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spd476
Has anybody tried replicating this method of getting something through the scanners? I'm just curious what the TSA could do if they caught you, as long as the item being carried isn't prohibited. I know they can do a thorough bag seach and pat down, but as long as someone has enough time before their flight that shouldn't be an issue. I don't think they can claim artful concealment if the item is on your side. I also don't think they could go for interfering with the screening process either.
TSA can always give you grief regardless of the right or wrong of the situation.

Play your cards right and end up in a Kangaroo Administrative Court.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:16 pm

Mr. Corbett's fantasy video is nothing more or less than a complete falsehood. Now while the anti-TSA crowd are more than willing to accept this video at face value despite its complete lack of support, I am not.

The commentary that Mr. Corbett provides is the only proof offered that he actually either went through a WBI system or that he got through with the items he claims. That’s it. No actual video of his passing through the WBI, no proof that he was carrying anything even if he did, and no proof that if he actually was carrying something as claimed that it was not caught and examined by the TSO’s. No “beef” what-so-ever.

IOW, its smoke and mirrors, all of it. But, he did get something out of it. Thousands of hits to his web site, his name in most major newspapers, and of course the 30 to 40 people who actually are willing to try and test his theories into a much different situation than he promised. Which of course will also be TSA’s fault, since they can do nothing right. [/sarcasm]
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by TSORon
Mr. Corbett's fantasy video is nothing more or less than a complete falsehood. Now while the anti-TSA crowd are more than willing to accept this video at face value despite its complete lack of support, I am not...
That's a shock. And you know it's a falsehood because...

Mr. Corbett is an intelligent fellow, and industrious. He's had a year and a half to come up with a lie, if that was his intention. Given the nature of TSA's oblique non-addressing of his results through the scanner, given the subsequent increase in rubdowns of those who go through the scanner, the evidence is in Corbett's favor.

Clearly, there are known issues with those machines otherwise TSA would not randomly feel people up who just came through them. Corbett's probably just revealed *one* of their blind spots.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mr. Corbett's fantasy video is nothing more or less than a complete falsehood. Now while the anti-TSA crowd are more than willing to accept this video at face value despite its complete lack of support, I am not.

The commentary that Mr. Corbett provides is the only proof offered that he actually either went through a WBI system or that he got through with the items he claims. That’s it. No actual video of his passing through the WBI, no proof that he was carrying anything even if he did, and no proof that if he actually was carrying something as claimed that it was not caught and examined by the TSO’s. No “beef” what-so-ever.

IOW, its smoke and mirrors, all of it. But, he did get something out of it. Thousands of hits to his web site, his name in most major newspapers, and of course the 30 to 40 people who actually are willing to try and test his theories into a much different situation than he promised. Which of course will also be TSA’s fault, since they can do nothing right. [/sarcasm]

If what you wrote is true and accurate, I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts about why your agency went to such great lengths to discredit him rather than make a strong statement as you are individually making?

If nothing else, a quick check of airline data bases, that you people have access to, would show that he had purchased tickets and downloaded boarding passes. There most surely is a checkpoint video which would or would not show him going through the checkpoint. The TSA releases checkpoint video when it serves their purpose. In this case, the silence is deafening.

Finally, why do you think Blogdad Bob with guidance from Kristin Lee, added Puppy Posts pretty quickly in order to push this story off the blog front page?

Also, if this was such an affront to the TSA, why didn't they simply fine him? Why didn't the DHS raid his home as they did the guy who was printing altered boarding passes at home?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:59 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.

I hate to admit it, but amongst Ron's childish sputterings of "No, no, no! He's a big fat LIAR!", Ron does indeed have a legitimate point - Corbett's checkpoint video is not clear and does not actually show him putting the metal case into the hidden pocket, being scanned, and transiting the checkpoint. Once the camera goes into the bin, it is entirely possible that, as Ron seems to believe, Corbett simply removed the metal case from the hidden pocket and put it into the bin with his belongings while he transited the c/p, then retrieved it and replaced it before he retrieved the camera, creating the illusion that it was in the pocket during the scan. I don't believe that's what happened, but it is possible, and until there is another video showing the entire process without cuts or breaks, the critics will continue their disbelief.

Personally, I believe Corbett's assertion, but I really would like to see this done again with a clear, unbroken video shot by people standing both inside and outside the c/p, of the whole thing.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 6:13 am
In Memoriam

Yeah, Ron and the DHS employee who took a handgun thru the scanners at DTW multiple times without detection was a liar, also, right?

Of course, this was before the magic , infallible Gumby software.

Once again, TSA is a threat to our security, unable to admit to vulnerabilities and thus unable to fix them. (Assuming TSA does in fact add anything to our security ----- there is less proof of this than of Mr. Corbett's assertions)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.