Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

US Tourist Visa Application: How Stupid Can They Get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Tourist Visa Application: How Stupid Can They Get?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:17 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by catandmouse
I have a feeling that when I first visited the US, there was a question on what was the equivalent of the I.94 form along the lines:
Are you or have you ever been a member of the Communist party?
I always wondered if anyone was stupid enough ever to check the box (even if they were)?
Would it be legal for them to deny you entry because of that? I seem to remember a court case where they said that you cannot be punished for joining a party under the first amendment freedom of association. The US Communist Party is a registered party that runs candidates for elections (or did a few years ago).
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Firebug4
No, that is not correct at all. Read the regulations that I posted up thread. Just being arrested does NOT make you ineligible to use the Visa Waiver Program. You have to read the actual regulations and the laws. The website has incorrect information. I can not make it any clearer. My job is to enforce these laws. I have personally admitted many many people that have been arrested but not convicted under the Visa Waiver Program. Actually, issuing these folks a visa if they were not intending to stay longer than 90 days would be unusual.

FB
I think the embassies are just being overly cautious. They probably figure that even if you are eligible for VWP, there is no harm in getting a visa, so if there is anything suspicious or questionable in your past it's safer to just get one. To them, it's probably too much hassle to figure out which arrests and convictions disqualify you and which don't, so they just tell everyone to get one. They don't want to be held responsible if you get denied entry. The fact that CBP has a reputation in some circles of treating foreigners in an arbitrary and heavy-handed way probably fuels this sentiment further.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CBear
My sister was denied a tourist visa for having too many family members living in the US. Her naturalized parents and me (The intend was just a visit, she had obligations elsewhere)

But she was allowed in via a family petition a few years later.
That actually makes sense. They had no problems with her, they had problems with a tourist visa for her because they figured she might overstay.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by cbn42
I think the embassies are just being overly cautious.
On a completely unrelated note, going to the embassy involves a fee of at least US$140 (in the UK).
Old Jan 31, 2012, 7:50 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I think the embassies are just being overly cautious. They probably figure that even if you are eligible for VWP, there is no harm in getting a visa, so if there is anything suspicious or questionable in your past it's safer to just get one. To them, it's probably too much hassle to figure out which arrests and convictions disqualify you and which don't, so they just tell everyone to get one. They don't want to be held responsible if you get denied entry. The fact that CBP has a reputation in some circles of treating foreigners in an arbitrary and heavy-handed way probably fuels this sentiment further.
The more visas they issue, the more staff they can justify, and the more money they can make. And they can keep people out of the US.

They couldn't possibly be lazy or poorly trained.

Makes sense to me.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by catandmouse
I have a feeling that when I first visited the US, there was a question on what was the equivalent of the I.94 form along the lines:
Are you or have you ever been a member of the Communist party?
I always wondered if anyone was stupid enough ever to check the box (even if they were)?
Yes, I personally know of one such person, a close friend of mine. According to him (and I believe him, he is very honest) he did answer yes. He was summoned for an interview with the consul, who wanted to know the nature of his visit to the U.S. (academic conference), and asked why he answered affirmatively to that question, to which my friend say "because it's true". The consul was puzzled, saying "but you know, most people in your circumstances would not have answered yes". Anyway, my friend was issued a single-entry visa with a bunch of codes on it. Those codes prompted the inspector at the border to dig out his books and read a lot before admitting my friend. All went well with the visit. On the next visit, he applied again for a visa using the same process and again answered yes to the communist question, and was given an unlimited multiple-entry visa. They must have figured out he was no threat.

The same process probably still applies today to those who answer yes to intending to assassinate the President. Let them in once, and if they come back without having assassinated the President it's safe to let them back in as they must be either lying about their intentions or incompetent at the task.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
Yes, I personally know of one such person, a close friend of mine. According to him (and I believe him, he is very honest) he did answer yes. He was summoned for an interview with the consul, who wanted to know the nature of his visit to the U.S. (academic conference), and asked why he answered affirmatively to that question, to which my friend say "because it's true". The consul was puzzled, saying "but you know, most people in your circumstances would not have answered yes". Anyway, my friend was issued a single-entry visa with a bunch of codes on it. Those codes prompted the inspector at the border to dig out his books and read a lot before admitting my friend. All went well with the visit. On the next visit, he applied again for a visa using the same process and again answered yes to the communist question, and was given an unlimited multiple-entry visa. They must have figured out he was no threat.

The same process probably still applies today to those who answer yes to intending to assassinate the President. Let them in once, and if they come back without having assassinated the President it's safe to let them back in as they must be either lying about their intentions or incompetent at the task.
I'm surprised Obama didn't invite him to the White House. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by VelvetJones
I'm surprised Obama didn't invite him to the White House. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
This was a while ago, probably in the Reagan years. Obama was still in diapers.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
This was a while ago, probably in the Reagan years. Obama was still in diapers.
If that was the case then I'm surprised he wasn't lined up and shot. The red scare has been dead for so long I don't think that question would raise any flags anymore. But the early to mid 80s were a different story.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
The more visas they issue, the more staff they can justify, and the more money they can make. And they can keep people out of the US.

They couldn't possibly be lazy or poorly trained.

Makes sense to me.
I doubt that front line consular staff in foreign countries cares about how much money the Department of State takes in.

What makes you think they are well-trained? I have heard of immigration attorneys wrongly advising people that they are eligible for VWP.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:11 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
What makes you think they are well-trained?
Apparently the dripping sarcasm didn't come through.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
Im surprised my favorite stupid visa question hasnt yet been aired:

How can anyone take the process seriously when it includes questions like this? I have applied for visas for many different countries and never seen anything remotely as hilariously ridiculous.
Not only that, but as I recall, it went on - ON A FORM PEOPLE ARE FILLING OUT ON THE PLANE - to say something like "If you have answered yes to any of the above, please contact a US consulate or embassy before your departure..." "... you may..." (May??! ) "...be denied entry to the US."

Wow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.