Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

US Tourist Visa Application: How Stupid Can They Get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2012, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My brother-in-law and his family are planning to go to the US this summer with us when we go back for a visit. They are all Taiwan citizens, so they [currently] need a visa (changes are in the works to waive the visa requirement for Taiwan citizens, but it is doubtful that this will go through in time for our trip).

Today, I helped them fill out their visa applications. I could not believe how long and detailed the application form was (six pages of questions). This is just for a tourist visa for a short visit! My permanent resident visa form for Taiwan was a single page.

They wanted to know your job, income, and addresses for the past 5 years, what college you went to , your field of study, your parents' names, and on and on. But the most ridiculous part was the section that asked a serious of stupid questions such as:
  • Are you a member of a terrorist organization?
  • Have you ever been involved with torturing someone?
  • Are you coming to the US to engage in prostitution?
  • Have you ever been involved with human trafficking?
  • Do you plan to engage in espionage activities while in the US?

Who is going to answer "Yes" to any of these questions?

It took us a couple hours to fill out all the applications for their family of five. Next, they've got to make an appointment to travel to Taipei (a four-hour each way trip) for an interview at the consulate. For their family, it will end up costing them over US$1000 just to get tourist visas! Unbelievable!

Who in their right mind wants to go through this crap just to visit the US?
Old Jan 29, 2012, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Considering what they asked you under the old VWP it's not exactly a shock. Yes, that's what your country asks people coming to spend money on your shores.

I can't remember what they ask under the new ESTA system but it's probably similar useless rubbish.

Last edited by bensyd; Jan 29, 2012 at 7:07 am
Old Jan 29, 2012, 7:21 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
I agree that it is extremely embarrassing the hoops that visitors to our country must jump through.
Originally Posted by Skyman65
But the most ridiculous part was the section that asked a serious of stupid questions such as:

Who is going to answer "Yes" to any of these questions?
Well, I think that the reason they have these is so that they can easily declare a reason for refusing entry if someone has lied. So, for instance, if under interrogation it is revealed that you have indeed been involved with human trafficking and have ticked "no" on your visa application form, your entry can be refused as you lied to get your visa, thereby invalidating it.

I sincerely hope that the tourism industry suffers long and hard as recompense for the indignities that our country forces its guests to endure.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Even under the VWP, things can be silly.

For example, you cannot enter under the VWP if you have ever been arrested, for anything. Mistaken identity, something petty when a child. Or, if you were convicted, even if the conviction is spent under local law. In all these cases, no entry under the VWP.

Crazy.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
This is not new, it is one of the bugbears that almost puts me off visiting the USA - and the welcome smile that is carefully schooled in the staff of the Border control at US airports.

You might enjoy this:
http://www.quentinlangley.net/article.php?id=105
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:14 pm

It's a simple choice, comply with the visa requirements or don't visit the US.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by 53flyer
It is a simple choice. However, I think it important that those who reside in the US to know what we subject others to. Many of these same US citizens are incensed when they travel to another country and are so much as detained for 30 seconds of arrival questioning.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It is a simple choice. However, I think it important that those who reside in the US to know what we subject others to. Many of these same US citizens are incensed when they travel to another country and are so much as detained for 30 seconds of arrival questioning.
^
I have had great amusement telling my US cousins of what goes on on entry to the USA. It is usually met with disbelief, but it happens almost every time without exception - and virtually identical "hospitality"
Old Jan 29, 2012, 3:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Since OMNI threads are, in general, not meant for discussion of travel, miles or points, this thread seems like a good candidate for Travel Safety/Security where similar topics are discussed on a daily basis.

Old Jan 29, 2012, 3:15 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
this is one of those threads....

it calls out for discussion and not just factual information...so I'm going to move it to the debate side. Thanks

squeakr

co Mod TS/S
Old Jan 29, 2012, 3:17 pm

Isn't the theory that lying on the form is a Federal offence. Though what do you answer if you are intending to work somewhere in the US where prostitution is legal?
Old Jan 29, 2012, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by typical
Even under the VWP, things can be silly.

For example, you cannot enter under the VWP if you have ever been arrested, for anything. Mistaken identity, something petty when a child. Or, if you were convicted, even if the conviction is spent under local law. In all these cases, no entry under the VWP.

Crazy.
This is incorrect information. Just an arrest does NOT make you inadmissible. It must be a conviction for certain offenses not all offenses or you have to admit to the essential elements of certain offenses not all offenses. Juvenile convictions generally don't count either.

FB
Old Jan 29, 2012, 3:57 pm

Programs: SSSSS
Originally Posted by 53flyer
Indeed. And that is exactly what's happening. To our detriment. More and more quality scientific meetings are being moved out of the US to Europe, Canada, because of these visa requirements and the length of time needed to get one.

There are many reasons why there has been a steady shift of cutting edge developments and research off-shore, but DHS is one of them.

Perhaps the US visa requirements should be simplified, streamlined and expedited so that foreign nationals can comply easily and economically.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Firebug4
This is incorrect information. Just an arrest does NOT make you inadmissible. It must be a conviction for certain offenses not all offenses or you have to admit to the essential elements of certain offenses not all offenses. Juvenile convictions generally don't count either.
No, it's not incorrect. I know in theory you are right, but the US Embassy in London is very clear and specific about this.

Travelers with arrests/conviction(s)

Under United States visa law people who have been arrested at anytime are not eligible to travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program(VWP); they are required to apply for visas before traveling. If the arrest resulted in a conviction, the individual may require a special restricted visa in order to travel. The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply to United States visa law. Therefore, even travelers with a spent conviction are not eligible to travel visa free; they must apply for B-1 or B-2 visas.

http://london.usembassy.gov/add_req.html
Old Jan 29, 2012, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
My brother-in-law and his family

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.