Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Woman Carries Gun onto AA flight at DFW

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL reject, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Jelly of the Month, formerly NWA Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by fishferbrains
"TSA Agents say that because they were able to find this woman proves the system works...."
A broken system cannot work. Sure, the woman accidentally left a gun in her purse. But I doubt there was ever any tangible threat to any airport personnel or passenger as a result of this overblown "incident". DHS/TSA and our over-reaching big brother are a much greater threat to us than people like this woman (who poses no threat at all).
Old Jan 18, 2012, 4:27 pm

This must be part of the 70% - 100% failure rate the GAO reported. So for every "good catch" reported by Blogger Bob, at least 4 threats slipped through unnoticed.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 4:48 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by fishferbrains
Originally Posted by Spence1097

More info from the Dallas Morning News:

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/arch...dfw-airpo.html
"TSA Agents say that because they were able to find this woman proves the system works...."
My eye! (and the ToS prevents me from saying what I really want to but I'm sure you can figure it out )
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Highlighting above mine:

How is this a MMW fail? If the gun was in the ladies purse as reported it went through an xray for carry on items.
I came to that conclusion from the following:
  1. The gun was found in her purse after she was pulled off the plane. That does not mean that the gun was actually in her purse during screening.

2. When TSA's X-ray operators decide my carry-on is dangerous, they do not allow me to touch it. Instead of advancing the conveyor belt forward, they immediately take control of the bag by pulling out onto their side of the machine and carrying to the table where they start their examination. (I usually travel with equipment that always gets a hands-on inspection and swabbing, so I am quite familar with TSA's standard operating procedure for handling suspicious carry-on bags.)

3. DFW's statement said:
    "The TSA was requesting assistance in locating a person in need of secondary screening who was not detained at the D-26 checkpoint."
    "Secondary screening" is the name of patdowns, groping, and strip searches that TSA performs on passengers who do not clear the nude-o-scope scan.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:30 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The gun was always in her handbag, this had nothing to do with the scanners, she was not carrying it

The station reports that she told police she forgot the gun was in her bag.

She walked through (according to news reports) and picked up her bag before they noticed the gun on the screen

The Little Elm resident reportedly grabbed her purse off a conveyor belt at a Terminal D security checkpoint before TSA agents spotted the handgun.

Reports also say they found out which plane she was on

About 8 a.m., officers learned that the woman had made it on board an American Airlines flight headed to Houston (Flight 2385), and it was ordered back to its gate.

It sounds like they were trying to follow her through the airport on the video to see which flight

The station reports that surveillance video was used to locate and identify the woman and determine what flight she was on. TSA sources told NBC 5 that police boarded several flights while officers "frantically" searched for her.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:42 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
KVUE offers an update, saying at first she was cleared

While original reports stated that the unidentified 65-year-old woman had walked away from the checkpoint prior to being cleared, it has now been reported that she was cleared. Sources said images of the gun was eventually spotted by a TSA agent, which was when the search for the woman began.

That should make us all feel even better
Old Jan 18, 2012, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Highlighting above mine:

How is this a MMW fail? If the gun was in the ladies purse as reported it went through an xray for carry on items.

There was certainly a TSA failure but seems to be a human failure.
Yes, maybe she forgotten something. She did not know where the gun was in her purse. Big mistakes!!! TSA is not their fault. She did not completed screening from TSA checkpoint. She didn't leave the gun at home instead of taking the gun into the security checkpoint.

TSA should have learn more lesson to followed the rules. Shame on TSA in DFW!!!
Old Jan 19, 2012, 5:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cordelli

While original reports stated that the unidentified 65-year-old woman had walked away from the checkpoint prior to being cleared, it has now been reported that she was cleared. Sources said images of the gun was eventually spotted by a TSA agent, which was when the search for the woman began.

Well, this certainly makes me feel better. Not only is it an intrusive, gropey, waste of money, it's also incompetent on an epic scale.

TSA: good for gropes and cupcakes, but not for detecting guns.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by OxonCantab
TSA: good for gropes and cupcakes, but not for detecting guns.
Actually, they're not even good on cupcakes ... remember, they only flagged the cupcakes as contraband on the second flight ...
Old Jan 19, 2012, 6:51 am

Perhaps stating the obvious (?), but I've never really given it a thought until now -- this leads me to the presumption that the carry-on xray is recorded and retained. How else would they have 'eventually spotted' the gun other than having someone re-review the tape in (I presume) another location? Probably why some of the gate checks occur then too -- the primary xray screener 'missed' something and the backup saw something and they need to go look for it.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 6:51 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
The Little Elm resident reportedly grabbed her purse off a conveyor belt at a Terminal D security checkpoint before TSA agents spotted the handgun.

Reports also say they found out which plane she was on

About 8 a.m., officers learned that the woman had made it on board an American Airlines flight headed to Houston (Flight 2385), and it was ordered back to its gate.

It sounds like they were trying to follow her through the airport on the video to see which flight

The station reports that surveillance video was used to locate and identify the woman and determine what flight she was on. TSA sources told NBC 5 that police boarded several flights while officers "frantically" searched for her.
Think how much easier it would be for them if they recorded the particulars of each passenger (name, flight number, employer, etc) for every passenger going through the checkpoint.

Wonder if that's coming next....
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Actually, they're not even good on cupcakes ... remember, they only flagged the cupcakes as contraband on the second flight ...
True. Two cupcakes outbound = not a threat. One cupcake inbound = confiscated as a threat.

Either that or just a really hungry TSA employee. You wouldn't think it from looking at photos of most of them...
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:06 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
I wonder what kind of "new" knee jerk security procedures they'll come up with now?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:52 am

TSA missed a gun in a handbag going through the xray machine! If it was picked up on the scan then it would have immediately been held back. Unless there was a complete screw up by TSA there is no way that a gun gets through the xray process and into the secure area. Anyone from TSA want to come on here and try to defend this latest complete screwup?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by danl08
Anyone from TSA want to come on here and try to defend this latest complete screwup?
They do it every day they go back to work in their blue shirt and tin badge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.