FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Woman Carries Gun onto AA flight at DFW
View Single Post
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:13 pm
RatherBeOnATrain
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Highlighting above mine:

How is this a MMW fail? If the gun was in the ladies purse as reported it went through an xray for carry on items.
I came to that conclusion from the following:
  1. The gun was found in her purse after she was pulled off the plane. That does not mean that the gun was actually in her purse during screening.

2. When TSA's X-ray operators decide my carry-on is dangerous, they do not allow me to touch it. Instead of advancing the conveyor belt forward, they immediately take control of the bag by pulling out onto their side of the machine and carrying to the table where they start their examination. (I usually travel with equipment that always gets a hands-on inspection and swabbing, so I am quite familar with TSA's standard operating procedure for handling suspicious carry-on bags.)

3. DFW's statement said:
    "The TSA was requesting assistance in locating a person in need of secondary screening who was not detained at the D-26 checkpoint."
    "Secondary screening" is the name of patdowns, groping, and strip searches that TSA performs on passengers who do not clear the nude-o-scope scan.