Expedited screening for troops

Old Jan 4, 12, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Expedited screening for troops

http://thehill.com/blogs/transportat...tary-personnel
The measure, which was introduced by Rep. Chip Cravaack (R-Minn.), requires the the Transportation Security Administration to develop a separate process for checking military personnel when they travel. The measure (H.R. 1801) was one of nine bills signed by Obama Tuesday, the White House announced.

When the measure was approved by the House last month, on a 404-0 vote, Cravaack said speeding up their airport screenings was the least lawmakers could do for active soldiers.
I love the troops as much as anybody. Thank you for your service, go team etc.

And I don't have a problem allowing uniformed military personnel to sit in first class (At the airlines discretion) or use first class security lines etc. That's fine.

And I know it is a paint to remove combat boots at a checkpoint (unless they have the cool zipper kind).

But the military (even in uniform) should be screened like everybody else. Ft Hood anybody? The military is not immune from infiltration by radicals or people suffering from PTSD etc.

If security procedures can be relaxed for military, those procedures can be relaxed for everybody else.
Old Jan 4, 12, 8:30 am
Suspended

Not only are security procedures relaxed for troops but also for family members traveling with them under certain conditions.

The more exceptions the TSA makes to its procedures, the greater the risk of some kind of an event at the checkpoint or beyond.
Old Jan 4, 12, 11:56 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
The Honorable Rep. Chip Cravaack (R-Minn.) needs to read this thread before thinking out of his other mouth

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...heckpoint.html
Old Jan 4, 12, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
The Honorable Rep. Chip Cravaack (R-Minn.) needs to read this thread before thinking out of his other mouth

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...heckpoint.html
+1

Or, TSA screeners will probably just ask the men & women in uniform, what is your name, rank, title & job classification/branch, and, a friendly reminder to not forget to declare special "items" in the carry-ons and oversized canvas duffle bag(s) for an inspection.

Give them the option & privilege of discarding, surrendering the items in questions, no questions asked & no reports filed, and, let them proceed forthwith.
Old Jan 4, 12, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AS MVP, WN CP; MR Ti, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, RR Au
Originally Posted by doober View Post
The more exceptions the TSA makes to its procedures, the greater the risk of some kind of an event at the checkpoint or beyond.
Or, you know, perhaps eventually "everyone" will discover just how pointless most of the security procedures are, as planes continue to not blow up.
Old Jan 4, 12, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
10 years + and counting on that hope.
Old Jan 5, 12, 9:21 am

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott Rewards Gold
Does anyone have any insight on who falls into the category of "military personnel"? I've heard different things, varying from active-duty in uniform, to anyone with a CAC card (military ID also issued to civilian employees). Anyone have any more info?
Old Jan 5, 12, 9:27 am

Programs: Star Gold
Originally Posted by catocony View Post
10 years + and counting on that hope.
Yes, but it is getting WORSE! Even 2008 was not anywhere as bad to travel as the current circus. I find it mind-blowing how much aggravation it is to get through the sea of blue shirts manning the "checkpoint." There must be 50 at my local airport every time I go through, many standing around at the podium looking dazed.
Old Jan 5, 12, 9:50 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by cardiomd View Post
I find it mind-blowing how much aggravation it is to get through the sea of blue shirts manning the "checkpoint." There must be 50 at my local airport every time I go through, many standing around at the podium looking dazed.
They are doing behavior detection, the Vulcan mind meld or staring at goats.
Old Jan 5, 12, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by cardiomd View Post
... it is getting WORSE! Even 2008 was not anywhere as bad to travel as the current ... must be 50 at my local airport every time I go through ...
Winds are blowing and Change is Coming - I also recall hearing in 2008. Heck, it sure did (looking back - memory lanes)

http://www.theage.com.au/world/obama...1019-53v8.html

Ding! Ding! It's been signed into law and it's now up to TSA to come up with the scheme ...

“In respect to our men and women in uniform and in the best interest of our national security, this bipartisan initiative is the least we could do for our military personnel and their families traveling our nation’s airports while serving our country," - Is it, really ??

As for TSA's workforce in our hometown, blue shirts come in impressive "company" size at the domestic only airport and battalion size at the international airport - probably an entire regiment/brigade combined when one factored in all the shifts & behind the scene circus clowns (that's easily an entire village/town's population on Uncle Sam's payroll ....)
Old Jan 5, 12, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago View Post
Or, you know, perhaps eventually "everyone" will discover just how pointless most of the security procedures are, as planes continue to not blow up.
No money in that....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: