Wiki Posts
Search

Today's MMW ATR Observations

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Mr. Elliott
My wife and I have gone through the MMW quite a few times so far and we never had any patdowns, both with the old nude images and the new software.

Our trick, we empty our pockets of everything and we do not wear heavy bulky clothing.

Mr. Elliott
Yes, but you stated with your post that you have altered your choice in clothes to avoid getting an anomaly with the ATR.

People will have to forgive me for saying resolution patdown in the original post. I used this terminology because there is an anomaly with the stick figure which needs to be checked, which resolves (?) the yellow box. Should I more appropriately say "the physical touching that the TSO does to a passenger for deciding to wear the wrong style shirt"?
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:53 pm

My wife and I have gone through the MMW quite a few times so far and we never had any patdowns, both with the old nude images and the new software.

Our trick, we empty our pockets of everything and we do not wear heavy bulky clothing.

Mr. Elliott
I was at SMF's beautiful new terminal B tonight, picking up my kid's friends and noticed many of the female pax wearing tight clothing, nothing bulky. Partly style of course, but perhaps also learned behavior? (terminal B has MMW)
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:04 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by Majuki
I watched about 30 women and 10 men all be subjected to the MMW. Not a single person opted out.
The sheeple line up as if they were getting on the Pirates of the Caribean.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 5:48 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond

Mr. Elliott
I am a COS (Fat Guy) and I always wear bulky clothing as it comes with the territory. Tight clothes and large girth do not mix well. I wear pleated jeans with expanding waist (a fat guy favorite). I clean out my pockets, but I always have. Still 0-5 on secondary pats. I may be 5-5 on the next five. We will see when my travel resumes in earnest in January.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 6:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
It's only "not known to the public" if you want to say that everything posted here by TSO's is a lie! It's been said many times that there are only two patdowns: the Standard (SPD) and the Resolution (RPD). The former is the one normally used. The latter is done only in a private room and only by a STSO. The exact conditions on when it's done appear to be SSI, but putting things together it appears to be multiple things such as a positive ETD plus something else. What's done after an AIT anomaly is a subset of the SPD over the area in question (although from what I can see, it's usually a very sloppy version of it).

(The term "enhanced pat down" appears to be a press invention. A year ago, the TSA said it "enhanced the pat downs" and the media started calling them "enhanced pat downs", but we've been told here numerous times that nothing by that name exists.)
I would disagree with you:

The enhanced pat down or grope is standard for those refusing AIT or alarming WTMD. I don't care if the TSA calls it their standard pat down or not. If the screener mentions he/she is going to touch your "resistance", it's an enhanced groping. However, many reports indicate that the TSA or at least some screeners are neither mentioning nor touching resistance.

The resolution grope is as you state and results in a good feel of the genitals and can possibly result in the forced removal of clothing, again, even if the TSA denies it does so.

Then there is the mini-grope after the ATR shows an anomaly.

Finally, there is the "you have been randomly selected to be groped" grope. That would seem to be more like the standard pat down pre-November 2010.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 6:57 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gnorwost2
I would disagree with you:

The enhanced pat down or grope is standard for those refusing AIT or alarming WTMD. I don't care if the TSA calls it their standard pat down or not. If the screener mentions he/she is going to touch your "resistance", it's an enhanced groping. However, many reports indicate that the TSA or at least some screeners are neither mentioning nor touching resistance.

The resolution grope is as you state and results in a good feel of the genitals and can possibly result in the forced removal of clothing, again, even if the TSA denies it does so.

Then there is the mini-grope after the ATR shows an anomaly.

Finally, there is the "you have been randomly selected to be groped" grope. That would seem to be more like the standard pat down pre-November 2010.
Let me see if I understand.

• Enhanced is new standard.
  • Resolution is enhanced enhanced.
  • Mini is localized.
  • Random is old standard.

Got it.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
What is posted here has little to do with what people at airports know.
I don't follow you. My post was about the official names for things. I'm quite sure that all TSO's know them.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
I don't follow you. My post was about the official names for things. I'm quite sure that all TSO's know them.
It's only "not known to the public" if you want to say that everything posted here by TSO's is a lie! It's been said many times that there are only two patdowns: the Standard (SPD) and the Resolution (RPD).
In your post (provided above) you seem to be indicating that since TSA employees have provided the name of the pat downs here on FT then everyone flying should know the terminology. I don't think that is the case. In a quick search of TSA.Gov I find no mention of Standard or Resolution in discussions of pat downs.

My remarks were about a TSA employee correcting a FT poster who may well not know the various names for TSA procedures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.