Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Chorus (yes, you heard right) sings holiday songs at LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/...,1942002.story Not bad really. But they could have chosen a Christmas song.

Keep it nice.

At least for a while.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
wheres the barfing emocon, and the ear plugs.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/...,1942002.story Not bad really. But they could have chosen a Christmas song.

Keep it nice.

At least for a while.
I like the lyrics to one of the pieces they sang:

"It ain't no myst'ry
If it's politics or hist'ry
The thing you gotta know is
Ev'rything is show biz
Watch my show
I'm the German Ethel Merman
Dontcha know
We are crossing borders
The new world order is here
Make a great big smile"

Made me feel like it was springtime again.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:29 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Well, at least they're not doing this on-duty. I'd get rid of the blue shirts, though, and get some decent singing attire for this time of year. Maybe some choir robes or just some nice suits.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:17 am

Tom911 wrote Maybe some choir robes or just some nice suits.

I was thinking that perhaps orange jumpsuits would be perfect, or the old-fashioned striped outfits.

The last thing I want to hear is this bunch as I'm rushing around an airport. The Three Tenors, yes, but a TSA Choir???? No thanks.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
I'm reminded of Christmas 2001, passing through PVD. A wizened old schoolmarm was playing "John Brown's Body" on a baby grand in front of the checkpoint. Every second person was getting patted-down.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 5:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
This explains why my friend in San Diego was having a problem with dogs backing in his neighborhood and cats trying to get run over
Old Dec 21, 2011, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I am an amateur musician and this took a lot of work to put together, it was a good effort, and it is not that bad. The recording quality detracts. As a Nashville person, I would have preferred live instruments, but that is unrealistic most places. In Nashville, you can't swing a cat without hitting a guitar player. That one person can make five phone calls and have a four-man band for the evening.

I agree that staying in uniform gives it a sort of "Official TSA Glee Club" feel and that was probably a mistake.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 7:49 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
With apologies to George Bailey:

"every time a screener sings, a passenger misses their flight".
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Nice, huh - I'm not impressed at all. Besides, they've taken up way too much theatrical space (already) on the concourse - blocking egress for holiday travelers. Get out of those badges, non-uniformed, in their shorts & tees, shoes removed & then sing. Then, it's a fair game if they deserve some spare or loose change for their "performance" in their off-duty mode.

Better yet, there are soup kitchens downtown near the Greybound Bus Terminal, perhaps they ought to consider doing their "time" there & show their passion and serve up their "civic" duties.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Note to self: If at a TS/S do and asked to play a few tunes, make sure you did not wear your blue shirt. Tough audience.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: *wood Gold
I have a few questions about this:
1. Was any on-duty time used to practice singing?
2. Was any on-duty time of any agent used to set up for this or tear down?
3. Were any on-duty agents slowed in their duties or stopped from their duties to listen to this?
4. Was the airport compensated for the electricity used to power the audio equipment?
5. Was a permit for the public gathering obtained previous to it?

Depending upon the answer to those questions, I'd say that such activities should not be permitted as it affects taxpayer-funded expenditures.

And they do need to ditch the TSA uniforms, if they're doing this on their own time.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:47 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Note to self: If at a TS/S do and asked to play a few tunes, make sure you did not wear your blue shirt. Tough audience.
'Twas ever so, m'fraid.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:55 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Here's what I'm wondering - did anyone yell "BRAVO! BRAVO!" at the choir? Because watching their response to that could have been fun...
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
"We wish you a merry bag check
We wish you a merry bag check
We wish you a merry bag check
And a happy anal probe."

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.