Wiki Posts
Search

Today's MMW ATR Observations

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2011, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Today's MMW ATR Observations

I know there was another thread/post on this somewhere, but a few searches yielded no results.

I had a long layover today at DFW, and I was observing the MMW machines with ATR at one of the Terminal D checkpoints. Perhaps my sample sample is too small, but I watched about 30 women and 10 men all be subjected to the MMW. Not a single person opted out. Since my home airport has BXSX and I haven't flown much since the ATR software was deployed throughout, I wanted to see the software in action and get some numbers on the false positive rate.

The only people allowed through the WTMD were airport workers, one man with his young daughter and a woman with a dog. Also of note was that the female TSO on the receiving end of the MMW machine stopped to pet the dog as the woman went through. At first I thought she was doing and ETD swab of the dog, but she resumed her NoS observation duties without changing her gloves.

It was at this point I started to watch the people going through the MMW with ATR. Of the 30 women, over 80% - I counted - got the yellow boxes with the gumby figure. This same female TSO, whose gloves had touched the dog, would then proceed to conduct the resolution patdown on the areas with the yellow boxes. Not once did she change her gloves.

There weren't as many male passengers going through this checkpoint at the time, so I could only see a limited number. Of those I did see go through, 40% (4 out of 10) were selected for a resolution patdown. One was wearing a watch and escaped the patdown when he pointed to it. Another had his wallet in a pocket and was given the most cursory of resolutions patdowns. The other two men were false positives for no apparent reason.

The targeted areas for resolution patdowns were the upper body, especially the arms and back. I've given up on people opting out. Most people don't know it's an option, and, even if they did, they "prefer to use the scanner to getting a patdown." Surprise! Not one person protested the resolution patdowns, but a few seemed shocked to receive one. Nobody requested new gloves. I wouldn't want to have been the 25th woman who needed a resolution patdown. I felt like going up to the woman and saying, "Did you know those gloves had touched 24 other people and some dog?" Now, I like dogs as much as the next person, but there are those who are severely allergic.

After awhile, the male and female assist disappeared, and the rope went up block the MMW entrance. At this point, everyone was ushered through the WTMD. No patdowns of any kind were given for those who did not alarm the WTMD.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
I wonder why they would ever shut down the MMW with ATD. It would seem to require no additional manpower. With no goon in the backroom, why would it need a break?
Seems like any clerk can deal with ATD.
Any ideas?
Old Dec 26, 2011, 3:38 pm

uhm...

dude/dudette?

you just posted on the other thread >1/2 hour ago... it's just a couple of threads down on page one

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...l#post17694458 (sorry, don't know how to link other than pasting url)

but thanks for the observations! ^
Old Dec 26, 2011, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

I'm aware of my post in the other thread. Although, that thread is turning into more of a philosophical debate along the lines of "I now see MMW+ATR as an acceptable level of what I'll tolerate, so I won't opt-out."

My post in this thread was my observations of the very high false positive rate of MMW+ATR.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
I'm aware of my post in the other thread. Although, that thread is turning into more of a philosophical debate along the lines of "I now see MMW+ATR as an acceptable level of what I'll tolerate, so I won't opt-out."

My post in this thread was my observations of the very high false positive rate of MMW+ATR.
aaah, I see... you first sentence led me to believe that was the thread you were referencing since that thread also started out as observations of ATR/MMW performance. Perhaps we need a similar thread in the practical forum that won't turn into a philosophical debate of tolerance levels but will remain on topic re: observations of false positive rates...

I suspect many will find ATR/MMW acceptable on face value at least until false positive rates upset that apple-cart. How nice to see TSA tasked with the sisyphusian task of pushing that rock back up the avalanching slope of public opinion.

Roll on.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Wimpie
I wonder why they would ever shut down the MMW with ATD. It would seem to require no additional manpower. With no goon in the backroom, why would it need a break?
Any ideas?
tee hee

Very funny Wimpie! I guess the male and female assists needed a break from clearing all the false alarms and the entire team needed a break from the tedious work of clearing all passengers through the checkpoint using such faulty technology???
Old Dec 26, 2011, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Wimpie
Any ideas?
Can we be 100% sure there IS no goon in the backroom?
Old Dec 26, 2011, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rondall
Can we be 100% sure there IS no goon in the backroom?
While one can never be too paranoid, I will take the TSA at face value on this one. The TSOs didn't have the radio headsets, and I think if there were a ghost in the machine that that person would override the false positives to warm people up to the idea of the MMW.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 6:26 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
While one can never be too paranoid, I will take the TSA at face value on this one. The TSOs didn't have the radio headsets, and I think if there were a ghost in the machine that that person would override the false positives to warm people up to the idea of the MMW.
This begs the question again:
Why would they EVER shut down the MMW/ATD?
The NOS should be 24/7 as TSA says it's primary.
They need M-F gropers at the WTMD, and M-F gropers at the NOS.
What's the difference?
With their (warped) priorities, only overflow should go to WTMD.

@:-)Must be their unpredictable BS@:-)
Old Dec 26, 2011, 6:42 pm

I know there was another thread/post on this somewhere, but a few searches yielded no results.

I had a long layover today at DFW, and I was observing the MMW machines with ATR at one of the Terminal D checkpoints. Perhaps my sample sample is too small, but I watched about 30 women and 10 men all be subjected to the MMW. Not a single person opted out. Since my home airport has BXSX and I haven't flown much since the ATR software was deployed throughout, I wanted to see the software in action and get some numbers on the false positive rate.

The only people allowed through the WTMD were airport workers, one man with his young daughter and a woman with a dog. Also of note was that the female TSO on the receiving end of the MMW machine stopped to pet the dog as the woman went through. At first I thought she was doing and ETD swab of the dog, but she resumed her NoS observation duties without changing her gloves.

It was at this point I started to watch the people going through the MMW with ATR. Of the 30 women, over 80% - I counted - got the yellow boxes with the gumby figure. This same female TSO, whose gloves had touched the dog, would then proceed to conduct the resolution patdown on the areas with the yellow boxes. Not once did she change her gloves.

There weren't as many male passengers going through this checkpoint at the time, so I could only see a limited number. Of those I did see go through, 40% (4 out of 10) were selected for a resolution patdown. One was wearing a watch and escaped the patdown when he pointed to it. Another had his wallet in a pocket and was given the most cursory of resolutions patdowns. The other two men were false positives for no apparent reason.

The targeted areas for resolution patdowns were the upper body, especially the arms and back. I've given up on people opting out. Most people don't know it's an option, and, even if they did, they "prefer to use the scanner to getting a patdown." Surprise! Not one person protested the resolution patdowns, but a few seemed shocked to receive one. Nobody requested new gloves. I wouldn't want to have been the 25th woman who needed a resolution patdown. I felt like going up to the woman and saying, "Did you know those gloves had touched 24 other people and some dog?" Now, I like dogs as much as the next person, but there are those who are severely allergic.

After awhile, the male and female assist disappeared, and the rope went up block the MMW entrance. At this point, everyone was ushered through the WTMD. No patdowns of any kind were given for those who did not alarm the WTMD.
Minor note: not one person you saw received the resolution pat down.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SATTSO
Minor note: not one person you saw received the resolution pat down.
Weren't the TSA rub downs after the Strip Search Machine used to resolve an anomaly?

TSA's term for the various pat downs is not known to the public so using plain simple english to describe what was observed is accurate.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Weren't the TSA rub downs after the Strip Search Machine used to resolve an anomaly?

TSA's term for the various pat downs is not known to the public so using plain simple english to describe what was observed is accurate.
It's only "not known to the public" if you want to say that everything posted here by TSO's is a lie! It's been said many times that there are only two patdowns: the Standard (SPD) and the Resolution (RPD). The former is the one normally used. The latter is done only in a private room and only by a STSO. The exact conditions on when it's done appear to be SSI, but putting things together it appears to be multiple things such as a positive ETD plus something else. What's done after an AIT anomaly is a subset of the SPD over the area in question (although from what I can see, it's usually a very sloppy version of it).

(The term "enhanced pat down" appears to be a press invention. A year ago, the TSA said it "enhanced the pat downs" and the media started calling them "enhanced pat downs", but we've been told here numerous times that nothing by that name exists.)
Old Dec 26, 2011, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
It's only "not known to the public" if you want to say that everything posted here by TSO's is a lie! It's been said many times that there are only two patdowns: the Standard (SPD) and the Resolution (RPD). The former is the one normally used. The latter is done only in a private room and only by a STSO. The exact conditions on when it's done appear to be SSI, but putting things together it appears to be multiple things such as a positive ETD plus something else. What's done after an AIT anomaly is a subset of the SPD over the area in question (although from what I can see, it's usually a very sloppy version of it).

(The term "enhanced pat down" appears to be a press invention. A year ago, the TSA said it "enhanced the pat downs" and the media started calling them "enhanced pat downs", but we've been told here numerous times that nothing by that name exists.)

What is posted here has little to do with what people at airports know.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 8:49 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Similar anecdotal evidence:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...-patdowns.html
Old Dec 26, 2011, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
My wife and I have gone through the MMW quite a few times so far and we never had any patdowns, both with the old nude images and the new software.

Our trick, we empty our pockets of everything and we do not wear heavy bulky clothing.

Mr. Elliott

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.