Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do Canada and Mexico compare?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Sorry, but in more than 150 domestic segments this year, I have never experienced anything remotely close to what you are talking about.
Then again, I suspect that one's attitude at security goes a long way to affecting the response and thus one's experience.
Do you salute them or something? How are they supposed to know what your attitude is? Why is it that everyone who is just plain lucky nearly always believes that it is their own skill that caused it? You do realize that events occur when you are not there to see them, right?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 5:39 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Mexico allows terror-water and everything. Aside from concourses that serve US bound flights, security is generally pretty straightforward and practical.

Mexican security does still have a fetish for confiscating small pointy things that TSA has mostly gotten over.

The official banned items list for Mexico is here. http://www.aeropuertosgap.com.mx/......eguridad/4.PDF
Old Dec 2, 2011, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Former CO Presidential Plat (for a day!)
Originally Posted by Stephen65
In Australia security is limited to a WTMD and you only have to remove your shoes if they contain enough metal to set off the WTMD. Same in HKG but they also hand search your carry-on at the gate.
Australia's security was great when flying internally. I actually carried on 3 or 4 bottles of wine (because they were too heavy to check in on a pre-paid weight suitcase)
Old Dec 2, 2011, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Former CO Presidential Plat (for a day!)
Mexico City

Getting to fly out of Mexico City (Terminal 2) very often I have been frustrated many times with their security procedures (makes the TSA look brilliant by comparison!)
1. Demanding that iPads be removed from carry on to go through the X-ray scanner.
2. (When traveling back to the US) When boarding AT the sleeve, they perform sometimes random, other times full passenger checks for all carry-on items where they have you put everything on a table and then they proceed to unpack your bag to look for "something"...

This last measure has been relatively common across US-Bound latam originating flights, and it still baffles me as to the goal of these very superficial last minute searches... as in a lot of things, I understand the reasoning behind it, but in practice the people doing this are so lax or untrained that all it does is simply inconvenience a lot of us without any additional security benefit that can be seen.

(I'll get off my soapbox for now)
Old Dec 2, 2011, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by mdt76
This last measure has been relatively common across US-Bound latam originating flights, and it still baffles me as to the goal of these very superficial last minute searches... as in a lot of things, I understand the reasoning behind it, but in practice the people doing this are so lax or untrained that all it does is simply inconvenience a lot of us without any additional security benefit that can be seen.

(I'll get off my soapbox for now)
I suspect that the agencies conducting these searches on US-bound flights on US carriers know the futility of the exercise, but as they are forced to comply with the 'request' of the US government to conduct them, they often make them as unobtrusive as possible whilst still meeting the guidelines of the 'request' of the US government.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.