Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USa Today - TSA PSA's on your hotel TV

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2011, 7:28 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I am currently staying in a Hilton. In the name of research, I have tried to find the announcement on LodgeNet, and it is nowhere to be found. Good. I was going to report here what the message is and what my reaction is. Now I can just watch the football game. If anybody finds it, let us know.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It should be very easy to use the hotel forums here on FT and complain to the hotels that show this crap. We need to speak with your wallets directly to hotel management. We CAN stop this!
Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Nothing new here.

I had one front desk manager at a Hilton in the LA area tell me "we MUST see your photo ID because the DHS tells us to check it and confirm it against the reservation". Either 1) she was giving a line of boloney or 2) she was telling the truth and admitting something she wasn't supposed to.
Oh geez, let me tell you, I knew this was going on at the last hotel I stayed at about 7 months ago.

I was coming down with flu, 3 hours from home, and just wanted to get some hot drinks, shower, and sleep.

I walk into the front desk, no reservation, and ask for a room. The list of things just kept getting longer and longer, and it finally clicked why they were asking for everything. It was getting to the point that I was about to read her a riot act and drive home that night, flu-be-damned.

Edit:
Maybe when I get into the room and click on the TV, I'll stop just short of pulling an Elvis. Just calmly pick up my bags, report to the front desk, and demand an immediate refund.

I refuse to fly in U.S. so I don't have to pay extra fees to the TSA, I can't morally give them any more money in additional ways, I just can't.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoMoreFlying
Why does this make me think of Orwell's book 1984?
FlyerTalk needs a Facebook-style "Like" button.

Like.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 12:03 pm

Programs: WN A++, Marriott Plat, Avis 1
This fear mongering is unbelievable. It's done simply to help justify the existence of DHS and their budget and allow them to creep into our daily lives. They must continue to make people think that boogeymen are crouching behind every park bench, scowling at every shopping mall and glaring at every bus that goes by.

It comes down to this: If someone actually saw what they believed to be a car bomb parked in front of a hotel, whether or not they report it has absolutely nothing to do with public service announcements. They either care enough to notify someone or they're psychotic enough to step back to wait and watch it blow up without telling anyone. A @#$% commercial is not going to change the behavior of what someone does if they see someone arm a bomb in front of them. Encouraging general panic and mass hysteria over every empty McDonalds bag laying in the road is simple Orwellian mind conditioning.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I totally agree. Well said! ^^^

Bruce
Old Nov 3, 2011, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Finally! A chance to use the "whatever, whenever" button at the W. I'm going to start reporting everything that looks even the littlest bit suspicious.

Me: "Hello, I just wanted to let you know that the hallway is really dark and it's a perfect setting for terrorists to do something evil."

W/W: "Sir, it's the W. That's just our ambience."

Me: "So you support terrorism?! I'm calling DHS!"

Then I'll demand points as compensation.

Mike
Old Nov 3, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by bdschobel
I totally agree. Well said! ^^^

Bruce
Likewise.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:36 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta 1MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz - PC, Marriott Titanium Elite
Angry DHS PSA Participation - TSA now in my hotel room.

USA Department of Homeland Security PSA

Hilton has been identified as a member of this effort.

I deal with DHS/TSA at the airport on a routine basis and DO NOT want to see this group's self-serving propaganda whenever I turn on the TV or during any other activities during my stay

Hilton: Please abstain.

Last edited by DL_TIDE; Nov 3, 2011 at 11:31 pm Reason: Correct Hotel Chain Name
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:56 pm

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
Staying at 4p and just had my first chance to witness

Really TSA?
Who the **** is your target with the "see something go into panic mode" BS on hotel TVs?
and lodgenet thanks for being a sucker to the propaganda machine. Indoctrinate the unwilling at every turn-keep the "fear" level up so the TSA can justify their budget

Boycottlodgenet.com sounds good to me
speak with your dollars, don't buy movies at hotels
Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Here's the lodgenet PR, you might need to take some gravol etc.first:
http://www.lodgenet.com/News/Pages/L...Vigilance.aspx

If you feel like giving your umm.. opinion to Mr. Petersen (well, his staff):
[email protected]

We really, really need a hurl smiley :-:
Old Nov 4, 2011, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Nothing new here.

I had one front desk manager at a Hilton in the LA area tell me "we MUST see your photo ID because the DHS tells us to check it and confirm it against the reservation". Either 1) she was giving a line of boloney or 2) she was telling the truth and admitting something she wasn't supposed to.
They need to check your name against the DNSL (Do Not Sleep List).
Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
They need to check your name against the DNSL (Do Not Sleep List).
Hey! I like idea!@:-)^^^ That's very good idea where they will put no-DNSL.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:18 pm

Who watches the TV in hotel rooms anyway?
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:41 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by usafwso
Who watches the TV in hotel rooms anyway?
You mean other than the adult movies?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.