Search

"You chose to opt out."

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
"You chose to opt out."

I've opted out every time I've traveled thus far, with no exceptions.

In ATL on Friday morning. Went through Sky Priority lane. Had to opt out. Was asked to stand aside. Couldn't see my baggage coming out of the chute.

I told the clerk, "I can't see my bags. I'm entitled to see my bags at all times."

She said, "You chose to opt out. You need to wait here until someone comes to get you."

"But I can't see my bags. Am I not entitled to see my possessions at all times?"

She audibly sighed. All that did was make her realize I was going to be a pain in the backside until someone came and rescued her from me.

I repeated myself as she started walking away. The "male assist" arrived about 10 seconds later. He was very professional and the first thing he told me was to face my possessions. All was fine then.

Why is it that they simply can't follow their own procedures? I have an iPad, a laptop, my wallet, and keys in my possession -- all but the laptop is in my briefcase and I don't want it out of my sight -- is this really too much to ask?
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by RichMSN

In ATL on Friday morning. Went through Sky Priority lane. Had to opt out. Was asked to stand aside. Couldn't see my baggage coming out of the chute.

I told the clerk, "I can't see my bags. I'm entitled to see my bags at all times."

She said, "You chose to opt out. You need to wait here until someone comes to get you."

"But I can't see my bags. Am I not entitled to see my possessions at all times?"

She audibly sighed. All that did was make her realize I was going to be a pain in the backside until someone came and rescued her from me.

I repeated myself as she started walking away. The "male assist" arrived about 10 seconds later. He was very professional and the first thing he told me was to face my possessions. All was fine then.

Why is it that they simply can't follow their own procedures? I have an iPad, a laptop, my wallet, and keys in my possession -- all but the laptop is in my briefcase and I don't want it out of my sight -- is this really too much to ask?
Yes, you are asking too much. How can the bad TSO's steal your stuff? Please not that only some of them steal, not all of them. Also, how else will they try to persuade people to not opt out? I'm glad that you were persistent and kept repeating yourself until you got your way.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 5:54 am

Why is it that they simply can't follow their own procedures?
You will not like this answer, but the TSO's were following the procedures. I have pointed out before that our "procedures" no longer require the TSOs to ensure that the passenger is able to see their property. Of course, I pointed that out many months ago (perhaps close to a year?), and it was only a brief disucssion, so I understand why you are unaware of this change.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 5:59 am

Programs: Priority Club, HiltonHonors, US Airways Dividend Miles, Airtran A+
Originally Posted by SATTSO
You will not like this answer, but the TSO's were following the procedures. I have pointed out before that our "procedures" no longer require the TSOs to ensure that the passenger is able to see their property. Of course, I pointed that out many months ago (perhaps close to a year?), and it was only a brief disucssion, so I understand why you are unaware of this change.
If we can't see them, easier for you (TSA in general, not directed at you personally) to steal them?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 6:13 am

Programs: OnePass
You realize that this is in direct conflict with what the TSA website says, correct?

You must like stealing our stuff then. Get rid of the boxes and we won't have this problem.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mikemey
You realize that this is in direct conflict with what the TSA website says, correct?

You must like stealing our stuff then. Get rid of the boxes and we won't have this problem.
This is a major issue with me when I go through ORD, but I can't seem to find that posting about seeing your possessions on the TSA site. Any links?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Does the TSA really not understand that it is "policies" like this that EARN them the bashing and crappy reputation among the public and media?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 7:01 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
MEM concourse C is set up the same way. Opt out and it's a license to steal. But no one will take your things one TSO told me, this only a week or so after one MEM screener had been caught stealing.

And it's not just TSOs I'm worried about. Anyone could walk off with my stuff. I often travel with a lot of cash because I'm going to countries where credit cards are not accepted.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 7:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
I am not a lawyer or law enforcement, but LOGIC (damn I did it again) would say that you don't want me to lose sight of my belongings since someone (TSA or a passenger) can do something to my belongings. Get it right the first time, or when the camera record is used as evidence in a hearing, it will show I was out of contact with my items and NO one could stop something from happening. As i tell them, I am doing my part to make sure they do their job - protect everything involved with air travel. Items left unattended could eventually cause an issue. My getting to my destination and finding something wrong, then filing the police report and having them review the camera PROVES their process is not secure. End of subject with them. By that point the groper shows up to play with my private parts.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 7:14 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by mikemey
"The website is out of date" is the answer you'll get at best; most of the time the TSA workers will simply ignore you or shout at you. It's how they work.

Originally Posted by flyinbob
I can't seem to find that posting about seeing your possessions on the TSA site. Any links?
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/customer/claims/pack.shtm
Always keep your belongings "in sight". You are responsible for your property as it proceeds through the screening process.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 8:09 am

Even if that were true, it is a security risk.

Every passenger must see there stuff at all times or it is very likely something will be missed and slip through.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would suggest that TSA employees are not supervised properly nor subject to any meaningful corrective action for not complying with known procedures.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I would suggest that TSA employees are not supervised properly nor subject to any meaningful corrective action for not complying with known procedures.
The problem with the above is the use of the word "known"

As TSORon has told us:

Originally Posted by TSORon

Procedures are SSI.....

And as I have said before, there are no “secret policies”. Procedures are SSI, policies are not.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It would certainly be helpful if there was a resource that travelers could refer to that stated exactly what the rules of this TSA game are and that TSA agrees is the standard under which they operate.

What we have today is unacceptable, we don't know what is required, nor do we have anyway to determine is any one TSA employee is following procedures or not.

I think the simple answer is to file a complaint on each and every TSA screening pointing out that the public has no way of knowing if TSA is in fact complying with SOP.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 8:54 am

It is clear that TSA doesnt care about people's belongings.

Do they even have any clue what stolen items can cause a passenger?! It is stressful and a hassel for US citizens. But for a none citizent !

Me, a legal resident, have a resident card , swedish passport, wallet and so on in my purse.

A resident card can take months to replace and it costs several $ 100.00.

A swedish passport can only be issued at an swedish embassy or consulate in USA. And you have to go there in person 2 times.To apply for a new passport and to pick it up. For me it means to go to either SF. or SD., since LA doesnt have one. Plus you need a resident card to prove that you live here legally. And also a swedish proof that you are swedsih citizent.

I always travel with a big purse, and I have had other passengers picking up my purse. For what reason i dont know. I never waited long enough to find that out.

So that TSA makes it it difficult for us to see our things is really bad.
My travelling life is in my purse and without it I will have hell for a few months.

What goes around comes around,one day TSA is going to be the pax. And they will be suprised how much fun that is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.