FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   Liquid ban should be repealed (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1248695-liquid-ban-should-repealed.html)

LuvAirFrance Aug 18, 2011 3:31 pm

Have you seen the latest gizmo you can buy? It is a water bottle with a filter installed on top. Means no matter where you get your water, it is filtered as you drink it. I've considered getting one of those. I do have a flltering pitcher by Brita, but this filtering bottle would be more portable. By the way, they make those water bottles from petroleum, so all the discarded plastic bottles are part of our oil dependence problem. Just sayin.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pub...kA3OspZXGldgOw

exbayern Aug 18, 2011 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance (Post 16949244)
Anyway, hydration has its ups and downs. I had to severely discipline myself on a recent Greyhound trip because the management had scheduled the legs so closely. They stopped for pit stops at places with a SINGLE room for all passengers. Couple of times I thought about finding a nearby bush. Mostly, I cut back my caffeine intake and even my water intake in certain parts of the route. With the "stay in your seat" attitude on planes, I think I'd be careful about my liquid input, too.

:confused: Again, there is no question about hydration on an airplane being necessary and in fact it can prevent serious health risks or worse.

Advising people not to drink on a flight (especially one of more than an hour) is foolhardy and antisocial (I cannot think of the correct term in English, if anyone cares to assist here) The poster who brought up the subject has some very serious health issues and to support their argument against hydration is putting them into even more danger.

:( I really don't think that is fair to mileena.

LuvAirFrance Aug 18, 2011 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern (Post 16949326)
:confused: Again, there is no question about hydration on an airplane being necessary and in fact it can prevent serious health risks or worse.

Advising people not to drink on a flight (especially one of more than an hour) is foolhardy and antisocial (I cannot think of the correct term in English, if anyone cares to assist here) The poster who brought up the subject has some very serious health issues and to support their argument against hydration is putting them into even more danger.

:( I really don't think that is fair to mileena.

OK, but no need to generalize that to everyone who travels. Some people MUST travel with certain meds, even ones made difficult by the regulations, but water isn't something everyone needs to buy. As I've said, you have have pure water without taking it through screening. Just use the innovations provided by the modern retail economy.

exbayern Aug 18, 2011 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance (Post 16949363)
OK, but no need to generalize that to everyone who travels. Some people MUST travel with certain meds, even ones made difficult by the regulations, but water isn't something everyone needs to buy.

Advising against hydration on a flight is not something I have ever seen recommended by medical professionals. I have flown long haul many times with people with serious mobility issues and even then hydration was recommended.

I would trust the advice of one of the medical professionals who has posted on this thread over the advice of a random poster without the same level of education on the subject.

The fact that they have already posted on this thread makes me believe that they are concerned about hydration themselves, and at least one of them is very physically fit and I believe generally in excellent health.

As I've said, you have have pure water without taking it through screening. Just use the innovations provided by the modern retail economy.
And has been pointed out several times now on this thread, it is not always possible to obtain water in the gate area at every airport, nor is it always permitted to be brought on board, depending on the carrier and the destination.

14940674 Aug 18, 2011 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance (Post 16949306)
Have you seen the latest gizmo you can buy? It is a water bottle with a filter installed on top. Means no matter where you get your water, it is filtered as you drink it. I've considered getting one of those. I do have a flltering pitcher by Brita, but this filtering bottle would be more portable. By the way, they make those water bottles from petroleum, so all the discarded plastic bottles are part of our oil dependence problem. Just sayin.

Brita makes one of those bottles as well, and you can buy it at almost any Walgreens.

I do hope the TSA doesn't think the filter is some kind of detonator.

bajajoes Aug 18, 2011 7:27 pm

InFlight Water Tale

:p I was on a flight from DFW-SJC (3.5hrs+) with a full water bottle that I hoped a flight attendant would refill inflight. I politely asked but was told NO! I then asked if I could have a large water bottle for the flight. Again the response was NO! Only the 4oz coctail glass of water is available.
My purpose of using a bottle was because of hand tremors that cause me to spill a cocktail glass.
Finally exasperated with no help from the attendant I elected to go to the lav and fill the bottle I brought onboard from the lav faucet.
Luckily I was able to bend the thin plastic water bottle to get it under the faucet and fill it aprox 2/3 full. The looks I got from the flt attdnt when she saw me drinking from my water bottle was priceless. Like, how did you get that water?
I ended up filling it several times enroute. Chuckling to myself.;)

justhere Aug 18, 2011 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by bajajoes (Post 16950638)
:p I was on a flight from DFW-SJC (3.5hrs+) with a full water bottle that I hoped a flight attendant would refill inflight. I politely asked but was told NO! I then asked if I could have a large water bottle for the flight. Again the response was NO! Only the 4oz coctail glass of water is available.
My purpose of using a bottle was because of hand tremors that cause me to spill a cocktail glass.
Finally exasperated with no help from the attendant I elected to go to the lav and fill the bottle I brought onboard from the lav faucet.
Luckily I was able to bend the thin plastic water bottle to get it under the faucet and fill it aprox 2/3 full. The looks I got from the flt attdnt when she saw me drinking from my water bottle was priceless. Like, how did you get that water?
I ended up filling it several times enroute. Chuckling to myself.;)

Is the tap water in an airplane bathroom potable?

Next time, just bring the bottle of water through security and on to the plane. Tell the TSA you have a medical condition and you can bring more than 3.4oz of water through.

LuvAirFrance Aug 19, 2011 1:43 pm

Advising against hydration on a flight is not something I have ever seen recommended by medical professionals. I have flown long haul many times with people with serious mobility issues and even then hydration was recommended.

I would trust the advice of one of the medical professionals who has posted on this thread over the advice of a random poster without the same level of education on the subject.
You aren't talking about advice by medical professionals. You are talking about lack of negative advice. The two are not the same. I think hydration has become as addictive as using chapsticks. I see people constantly putting balm on their lips, something I've never done and I don't bleed from my lips. I get "hydrated", but I don't obsess about it or fear the lack of it.

I guess people who have such fears are facing great difficulty in any sort of travel.

colonius Aug 19, 2011 2:36 pm

Liquid ban in the EU being phased out!

Hmm. I have given the same information in several threads so far, usually without any reaction. If you don't believe it, google "EU phasing out liquid ban". One of the many sources coming up is this one:

http://www.smartertravel.com/blogs/t...tml?id=3686081

In short: Between 2013 and 2014, special scanners should be installed at EU security check-points to scan liquids for hazardous components. Some (very) small easements are already in place (transit with non-Schengen duty-free in Schengen countries).

jkhuggins Aug 19, 2011 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by colonius (Post 16955534)
In short: Between 2013 and 2014, special scanners should be installed at EU security check-points to scan liquids for hazardous components. Some (very) small easements are already in place (transit with non-Schengen duty-free in Schengen countries).

Believe it when you see it. Remember, the TSA will eliminate all liquid restrictions by the end of 2009. (Oops.)

stifle Aug 19, 2011 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by mrscherry2000 (Post 16941320)
At least in the States, you can buy a nice liter bottle of water post security. It's hard to stay hydrated on back to back intercontinental flights going through Europe. At least through Amsterdam, because of the gate side checks, I can't even bring any water with me onto the plane. I would love to be able to pick up a liter of water in Amsterdam to bring with me on the plane before my next nine hour flight after traveling + hours overnight. I cannot stay hydrated on those tiny half cup servings of water I get maybe every couple of hours.

You can get your bottle of water on at AMS by asking one of the shops in the transit area to put it in a sealed bag for you when you buy it there.

colonius Aug 19, 2011 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins (Post 16955584)
Believe it when you see it. Remember, the TSA will eliminate all liquid restrictions by the end of 2009. (Oops.)

You are free to believe or not believe whatever you like, but please can the cheap polemics.

As far as I am concerned: this comes officially from EU authorities and is likely to be true. But then again, I don't wear an aluminum hat...

William S Aug 20, 2011 3:21 am

Originally Posted by justhere (Post 16950904)
Is the tap water in an airplane bathroom potable?

Next time, just bring the bottle of water through security and on to the plane. Tell the TSA you have a medical condition and you can bring more than 3.4oz of water through.

Tap water in an airplane bathroom is not drinkable. I have not tried, but you notice there are signs saying that you are not supposed to drink it.

exbayern Aug 20, 2011 11:14 am

Originally Posted by colonius (Post 16955693)
You are free to believe or not believe whatever you like, but please can the cheap polemics.

As far as I am concerned: this comes officially from EU authorities and is likely to be true. But then again, I don't wear an aluminum hat...

That poster was not wearing a tinfoil hat. The ban in the EU on liquids was to be partially lifted earlier this year, but it was not. There was variance amongst the member states about partially lifting the ban and thus it was not repealed. In addition, the US did not want the ban lifted.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...ne-liquids-ban

William, your thread is just bizarre. Here we have people crowing about drinking non-potable water and non-flyers advising frequent flyers not to stay hydrated. In just four pages we have a number of posters handing out dangerous advice, and hopefully most readers know not to bother to take those posts at face value.

Most disconcerting however is how at least two posters completely miss the point, and are berating flyers for purchasing liquids or bringing their own empty bottle to refill.

Isn't the greater issue the fact that this ban is still in place? Why not direct the outrage towards that subject, as it is the key issue?

bajajoes Aug 20, 2011 11:46 am

Originally Posted by William S (Post 16958078)
Tap water in an airplane bathroom is not drinkable. I have not tried, but you notice there are signs saying that you are not supposed to drink it.

==================================================
:confused: As a twice retired airline employee I can say that the water coming out of the tap in the bathroom is the SAME water the coffee is made from. The water tank on most small commercial jets is aprox. 40-50 gal and is topped off at each stop. Some airlines make it policy to only fill 3/4 full so as to not carry the extra weight. I have seen NO signs saying not to drink the water on airlines in California but if you recall please name the airline(s) that fetaure a No Drink sign in the lav please name them. :(