FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   Liquid ban should be repealed (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1248695-liquid-ban-should-repealed.html)

AUS2008 Aug 17, 2011 7:16 pm

What's even more silly is that at some airports, such as PDX, there is a receptacle provided just prior to the checkpoint, for everyone to dump or toss their prohibited liquids....all in the same container! (which I imagine is just taken to the trash, not checked for actual explosives)

If these liquids are SO DANGEROUS :rolleyes: to not be allowed on the plane, why is it 'safe' for them to be mixed all together in the trash? And right at the checkpoint, where lines of people may be gathered?

14940674 Aug 17, 2011 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by AUS2008 (Post 16943692)
If these liquids are SO DANGEROUS :rolleyes: to not be allowed on the plane, why is it 'safe' for them to be mixed all together in the trash? And right at the checkpoint, where lines of people may be gathered?

Presumably a terrorist would try to smuggle the liquids in, rather than dumping them in the receptacle.

My favorite example of this foolishness is when a TSO confiscates a water bottle, and then saves it to use as a beverage, drinking it right in front of the passengers.

RadioGirl Aug 17, 2011 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by 14940674 (Post 16943734)
Presumably a terrorist would try to smuggle the liquids in, rather than dumping them in the receptacle.

I can think of two liquids that could be carried by different passengers and when dumped into the bucket together would create a pretty unpleasant situation. Not an explosion, just a lot of nasty fumes.

The more practical approach is to take used motor oil in a large obvious container and "voluntarily surrender" it to the TSA. Saves the effort figuring out how to dispose of it. ;)

Pesky Monkey Aug 17, 2011 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by 14940674 (Post 16943734)

My favorite example of this foolishness is when a TSO confiscates a water bottle, and then saves it to use as a beverage, drinking it right in front of the passengers.

Sadly, kinda makes me want to pee in a bottle of Mountain Dew and put it in a bin. But I'm not that hateful (but real close).

LuvAirFrance Aug 17, 2011 9:23 pm

Good, but don't put it in a bin. Hand it to a TSO.

StanSimmons Aug 17, 2011 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance (Post 16944322)
Good, but don't put it in a bin. Hand it to a TSO.

... warm.

mileena Aug 17, 2011 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by celle (Post 16943239)
At screening, I explained that it was water in the bottle and offered to drink it - "Oh no, Madam, you can't do that."

Why not just drink it there? How are they going to stop you?

Or just throw it in the trash. Again, how are they going to stop you?

mileena Aug 17, 2011 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston (Post 16940540)
Flew out of Shanghai 2 years ago. My wife and I carry our empty water bottles through security and filled them from a water fountain near the gate.

I don't understand the point of having a bottle of water if you are just going to use unfiltered tap water? This is a contradiction.

mileena Aug 17, 2011 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by mrscherry2000 (Post 16941320)
At least in the States, you can buy a nice liter bottle of water post security. It's hard to stay hydrated on back to back intercontinental flights going through Europe. At least through Amsterdam, because of the gate side checks, I can't even bring any water with me onto the plane. I would love to be able to pick up a liter of water in Amsterdam to bring with me on the plane before my next nine hour flight after traveling + hours overnight. I cannot stay hydrated on those tiny half cup servings of water I get maybe every couple of hours.

I am very confused. You do not want to be hydrated on a plane. I had six or so sodas in those little glasses on an airplane, and I ended up going to the bathroom on the plane each time right after I had the soda. Why do you want to stay hydrated?

joshwex90 Aug 17, 2011 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by mileena (Post 16944712)
I don't understand the point of having a bottle of water if you are just going to use unfiltered tap water? This is a contradiction.

No it's not. Besides the fact that many water fountains are indeed filtered, there are good reasons to have a water bottle to fill up with. This way, you don't have to buy water. And it means you don't have to only drink when by the fountain.

joshwex90 Aug 17, 2011 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by mileena (Post 16944723)
I am very confused. You do not want to be hydrated on a plane. I had six or so sodas in those little glasses on an airplane, and I ended up going to the bathroom on the plane each time right after I had the soda. Why do you want to stay hydrated?

(Bolding mine)

:confused:

mileena Aug 17, 2011 11:03 pm

What's even more silly is that at some airports, such as PDX, there is a receptacle provided just prior to the checkpoint, for everyone to dump or toss their prohibited liquids....all in the same container! (which I imagine is just taken to the trash, not checked for actual explosives)

This is a good question. I had to think for a second, but there is a logical answer. Liquids over certain ounces are considered dangerous on a plane since that is an environment of extreme security. But they can just be thrown in the trash and tossed and emptied out (presumably the staff empties the bottles and saves them for the $0.05 or $0.10 returnable deposit) because, even though they pose the same danger, the environment is one of average security, not heightened security like in a plane. So the custodian could be blown up by the bottles, but so could anybody in downtown by a suicide bomber. You don't get the same safeguards in an environment of average security. You do in a plane because you pay extra for the security.

mileena Aug 17, 2011 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 16944726)
No it's not. Besides the fact that many water fountains are indeed filtered, there are good reasons to have a water bottle to fill up with. This way, you don't have to buy water. And it means you don't have to only drink when by the fountain.

See, to me, it is a contradiction. You either drink bottled (filtered or spring) water, or you drink fountain water. The poster has bottled water, but it is from a fountain (and presumably unfiltered).

Secondly, bottled water is a status symbol, like wearing a shirt with an alligator on it. But the poster has just admitted they are a pretender by using fake bottled water. To me, buying bottled water is a sin and wasteful, since I grew up on tap water.

Third, if they want to carry water with them, why don't they get a container that isn't former bottled water, like a colored Gatorade container?

mileena Aug 17, 2011 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 16944729)
(Bolding mine)

:confused:

I guess they can stay hydrated, but they are just going to end up going to the bathroom on the plane like I did. Good thing I chose an aisle seat!

exbayern Aug 17, 2011 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by mileena (Post 16944765)
I guess they can stay hydrated, but they are just going to end up going to the bathroom on the plane like I did. Good thing I chose an aisle seat!

Do you fly very often? Do you fly long haul?

One 500ml bottle isn't enough to keep one hydrated on a flight of 8 hours, and being dehydrated greatly increases the impact of jet lag.

If you are as you state obese and prone to strokes, you should be I suspect even more careful to stay hydrated on a flight.

Your comments about water being a status symbol don't make sense to me. Many of us drink nothing but water - why on earth should I bring an empty Gatorade bottle instead of an empty water bottle? Do you understand that the water onboard an aircraft ie in the lav is not safe to drink, and sometimes the source of 'water' served by the FAs is questionable?

As a useful tip it is always advised to carry one's own water to ensure that one can take one's medication as required.