Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA behavior detection program

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:26 pm

I'm surprised no-one has noticed this particular quote:

Originally Posted by Fredd
"I'm very much interested in expanding the behavior detection program, upgrading it if you will, in a way that allows us to….have more interaction with a passsenger just from a discussion which may be able to expedite the physical screening aspects," Pistole said
If chatting up the BDO means that you'd get a chance to skip the AIT/WTMD/X-ray, might that change your willingness to participate in the process?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
If chatting up the BDO means that you'd get a chance to skip the AIT/WTMD/X-ray, might that change your willingness to participate in the process?
OTHO what if the chatting-up turns out to be foreplay?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Hmm, a BDO gets to chat up an attractive passenger, and if they respond well, they might get out of AIT/patdown?

No chance for abuse there.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Fredd
OTHO what if the chatting-up turns out to be foreplay?
Like the words "opt out"?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:39 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
BDO "how are you today?"
PAX 'Oh good, porter service. Carry these over there will you?'
Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:42 pm

Programs: *wood Gold

It would only change my response to them slightly.

In other words, instead of saying "Go f*** off, a**h***" to the screener, I'd say "As an American citizen schooled in government with an understanding of my Constitutional rights, I respectfully decline to participate any further in your unwarranted interrogation."
Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I have no desire to bypass the WTMD or not have my bags x-rayed, and I doubt very much that anything I would ever say to a screener would get me a no Nude-O-Scope pass.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by amejr999
Me: I decline to answer that question pursuant to my rights under the Fifth Amendment.
Knowing about the 5th amendment alone should be enough to decide you're not a bad guy, but sadly, in DHS-land, that's a tactic the all-clever terrorist would adopt now that they've seen it discussed here.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
But the questions they ask in Europe are the same questions they stopped asking here years ago, because they don't accomplish anything.
Very odd, because my experience is exactly the opposite. I am never asked those questions by US carriers, anywhere, but have been asked on flights to the US, say on Air New Zealand LHR-LAX. I have also been asked by BA on flights from LHR to European cities.
Are you referring to the 'did you pack your bags yourself' questions or the 'what did you purchase at the airport' and other random questions?

I have been asked the first set very rarely; only at LHR if I recall, and only for a UA flight bound for the US. The second set I was asked at MUC and FRA for UA flights bound for the US.

I fly from many western European countries on a very regular basis, and am asked the first set of questions maybe once or twice a year, if that. And since I recall being asked those in English, it would be at UK airports and most likely LHR.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by exbayern
Are you referring to the 'did you pack your bags yourself' questions or the 'what did you purchase at the airport' and other random questions?

I have been asked the first set very rarely; only at LHR if I recall, and only for a UA flight bound for the US. The second set I was asked at MUC and FRA for UA flights bound for the US.

I fly from many western European countries on a very regular basis, and am asked the first set of questions maybe once or twice a year, if that. And since I recall being asked those in English, it would be at UK airports and most likely LHR.
I've flown quite a bit from Europe to the US the first half of this year, and up until last week at MUC, hadn't been asked those silly questions.

Check out the comments in response to Pistole's plan over here.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/joshge...eckpoints.html

They make FT vitriol seem tame in comparison.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
I even mentioned in the IAH "speak your name" thread that this appeared to be SPOT actions to the TDC. Sounds like they're trying to make everyone SPOT now.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
Check out the comments in response to Pistole's plan over here.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/joshge...eckpoints.html

They make FT vitriol seem tame in comparison.
I read those before the comments above.

I applaud the folks who claim to have given up flying in response to the TSA theater.

Drive safely.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 8:52 pm

Hmm, a BDO gets to chat up an attractive passenger, and if they respond well, they might get out of AIT/patdown?

No chance for abuse there.
You forgot the emoticon
Old Jul 28, 2011, 8:52 pm

Yes, but we all know that isn't gonna happen.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Perhaps this has something to do with all of the recent outrage over TSA screening practices? Maybe the TSA brass finally realized that you can have security theater that 1. Is non-invasive. 2. Does equally little as the scanners/gropes. 3. Still leaves 90%+ of the traveling public feeling like the government is "doing something" about security. People can rest easy that there's some magic formula by which the TSO asking you the questions can tell if your answers indicate the likelihood of you being a terrorist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.