Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA molests a 13-year-old girl traveling alone

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA molests a 13-year-old girl traveling alone

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2011, 3:24 pm

I asked this same question a few weeks ago and it was (of course) never answered.

I have a hard enough time believing that TSA can find people stupid enough to grope other people's children without their parents' knowledge, but the idea that an airline employee would sign off on someone groping a child temporarily in their charge is unfathomable to me. That is a level of stupid around which my head doesn't wrap.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow
I asked this same question a few weeks ago and it was (of course) never answered.

I have a hard enough time believing that TSA can find people stupid enough to grope other people's children without their parents' knowledge, but the idea that an airline employee would sign off on someone groping a child temporarily in their charge is unfathomable to me. That is a level of stupid around which my head doesn't wrap.
+1 for content
+another 1 for grammar
Old Jul 28, 2011, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by celticwhisper
Jesus H. Christ, this is unbelievable. Was it really only 2 weeks ago that Andrea Abbott stood up to put a TSO in its place? Since then we've had Tom Sawyer II, the ORD gropedown video, Yukari Miyamae, the 97-year-old strip-search (dubious though the story may be, it did get attention), the amputee harassment, and now this?

I think I figured out TSA's new strategy - abuse people faster than we can alert Congress to their wrongdoing. Too bad it won't work, I have no qualms about sending a letter to my representatives about TSA abuse a month after the fact.
It looks to me like it's "the Chicago way." DHS\TSA is feeling the push-back from people apposed to their behavior, so they are pushing back harder.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by tanja
That is down to the question what happens if the minor says NO. And/or get upset/hysterical?

Who is then responsible? And what is the out come?

I was once a 13 year olds girl . And I would never let anybody do this to me.

And can another person who doesnt not have legal guardian do this? Like an TSO and/or airline employee with the parent to say yes.
Oh, good one. As a minor (under a certain age?), they can't enter into contracts, and they don't have legal authority over their own bodies (for instance, they can't refuse an immunization shot, correct?)... correct?

So legally, they can't agree or disagree to a physical search, without a guardian to agree/disagree... correct? Unless the TSA has the guardian sign a release form for all future security events/incidents?
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by RichardKenner
To be clear, the quoted text was a comment to that post, not in the post itself. It took me a while to realize that.
That is so disgusting!!! I can't stand it!!! TSA behavior is not tolerable. They could be fired or arrested as charges of sexuals assaults by the minor. He could be get 1st degree misdemeanor felony.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 5:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn
This kind of stuff just makes me more angry at TSA. This is why people need to WAKE UP!
I don't know which will be worse: People not waking up, or people waking up and declaring open season on blue shirts. If the latter, my fire dept dress shirt will stay in the closet because I don't want to be mistaken for a TSO.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by sbagdon
Oh, good one. As a minor (under a certain age?), they can't enter into contracts, and they don't have legal authority over their own bodies (for instance, they can't refuse an immunization shot, correct?)... correct?

So legally, they can't agree or disagree to a physical search, without a guardian to agree/disagree... correct? Unless the TSA has the guardian sign a release form for all future security events/incidents?
I know that a minor cant decide of their bodys. That doesnt mean they still cant refuse. If a minor objects ( in this case beeing molsted by a TSO screener) what will then happen?
The TSO can hardly do it with force or can they? And also I cant see it being legal. If this would have happened anywhere else the poilce would have been called.A minor is a minor for a reason.

Touching a minor who cant really defend themselfs sounds not correct. Something is very wrong and very scary. So happy that my kids are not minors anymore. And they travelled alone over seas when they were minors.

This kind of behavior can cause severe trauma for the minor.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by tanja
I know that a minor cant decide of their bodys. That doesnt mean they still cant refuse. If a minor objects ( in this case beeing molsted by a TSO screener) what will then happen?
The TSO can hardly do it with force or can they? And also I cant see it being legal. If this would have happened anywhere else the poilce would have been called.A minor is a minor for a reason.

Touching a minor who cant really defend themselfs sounds not correct. Something is very wrong and very scary. So happy that my kids are not minors anymore. And they travelled alone over seas when they were minors.

This kind of behavior can cause severe trauma for the minor.
The 13 year-old in the OP didn't give consent - she couldn't consent. She got the grope. I think that tells you "what will then happen." They grope without consent; they don't think they need consent. They think showing up at the checkpoint IS consent.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 8:29 am

The 13 year-old in the OP didn't give consent - she couldn't consent. She got the grope. I think that tells you "what will then happen." They grope without consent; they don't think they need consent. They think showing up at the checkpoint IS consent.
I know what you wrote above.

That is back to the question again. Can TSO legally touch a minor without the minors guardian around?

Since the minor is not "allowed" to say anything like yes or no. But is still a minor and TSO is just strangers .
Old Jul 29, 2011, 9:02 am
Original Poster

This would be a great time for our resident TSOs to chime in: are there any specific procedural instructions for how to handle minors traveling alone? Can minors "consent" to screening? What happens when a minor refuses screening? Anybody?
Old Jul 29, 2011, 9:25 am

And what if the minor says yes not really knowing what is going to happen. And their parent(s) says no .

Also what if the parent (s) says yes and the minor says no? Can the minor be forced by TSO and the parent?
Forced like in getting really upset .
A minor even if it is a minor do have a mind and feelings on their own.

When it comes to ones body I do think that the owner of said body is the one who should decide. No matter the age.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 9:30 am

If we believe the story in the OP, the effective answer is "Yes, minors can consent. They consent by showing up to be screened. Nevermind the bit about not knowing to what they are consenting or that they are minors who cannot legally consent."

I'd be interested in knowing what happens when a minor who is flying solo actively refuses to consent to being groped. That's not so far outside the box, is it, that an entire Federal agency has failed to consider it...right? At any rate, here is what happens when a child is with his parents and is actively objecting to the search:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZFWaMV4nXQ
Old Jul 29, 2011, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by mybodyismyown
This would be a great time for our resident TSOs to chime in: are there any specific procedural instructions for how to handle minors traveling alone? Can minors "consent" to screening? What happens when a minor refuses screening? Anybody?
They probably can't comment becasue it is SSI...
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
They probably can't comment becasue it is SSI...
I can understand that. If you were involved in an agency whose employees were groping the genitals of minor children without any awareness on the part of the parent, wouldn't you want your agency to keep the details a secret, too?
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:10 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
If we believe the story in the OP, the effective answer is "Yes, minors can consent. They consent by showing up to be screened. Nevermind the bit about not knowing to what they are consenting or that they are minors who cannot legally consent."

I'd be interested in knowing what happens when a minor who is flying solo actively refuses to consent to being groped. That's not so far outside the box, is it, that an entire Federal agency has failed to consider it...right? At any rate, here is what happens when a child is with his parents and is actively objecting to the search:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZFWaMV4nXQ
Just a point, there was a parent there, and they owned this incident. This sub-thread is about what if the parent is not available to give direction (force screening, or force a walk-away).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.