Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Email reply from TSA on my inquiry about having passengers speak their names

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Email reply from TSA on my inquiry about having passengers speak their names

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Helen_J
Just out of curiosity, since the Israeli security is always held up as the gold standard, do the Israeli security people ask you to state your name even though they have looked at your boarding pass? I've never been to Israel so don't have any experience with their security.
The people that would ask such a question in TLV (and I don't know if they do) are well trained, young, polite, and in many cases attractive females. If the the TSA thinks they can emulate that by just going through he verbal motions alone, well, that's just another example of how clueless they are.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
And what does that do to people like my wife--her name is written in pinyin, not English.

Both of you are obviously ring leaders of a sleeper cell just waiting for the order to destroy America!!
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will be making several trips through DFW in the near future. Think my name will be Cedric Alexander (FSD) or Robert Gentry (AFSD) if asked and I will see if the screener recognizes the name.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by HookemHorns
I am SO going to the courthouse tomorrow to legally change my name to "T.S.A. Sucks"...I'll be glad to pronounce it loud and clear for them!
I'm going to change my name to Sparkly Wingdinger. It'll make the name game much more fun.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:48 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by ND Sol
I just received a response to my inquiry.
Originally Posted by TSA spokesidiot
... Pilot programs and their assessment are opportunities to review changes in the security screening process and their impact prior to implementing at airports around the country, or in some cases identifying that certain processes have no substantial value.

... These assessments help to provide data to determine whether other processes can be modified or avoided in the future.
There a frequent (and undeserved) accusation on this forum that the TSA critics don't offer any constructive solutions. Well, folks, here's our chance! We can offer to help out TSA with this. I'm sure we could come up with a few processes that "have no substantial value" and "can be avoided". Who wants to go first? (Now, let's not have everyone saying "NoS" and "BDO" all at once! Make sure the abuse of the elderly and the liquid rules get some attention, too! @:-))
Originally Posted by swag
Originally Posted by Scubatooth
I feel a case of laryngitis coming on.
I feel a case of tourettes coming on.
I feel a garlic 'n' raw onion sandwich washed down with a beer, a stutter, and a name full of "p"s and "t"s coming on.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
There a frequent (and undeserved) accusation on this forum that the TSA critics don't offer any constructive solutions. Well, folks, here's our chance! We can offer to help out TSA with this. I'm sure we could come up with a few processes that "have no substantial value" and "can be avoided". Who wants to go first?
Always happy to oblige!

What to do with the TSA short term-

1. Stop the use and deployment of body scanning machines. They don't see into body cavities, under folds of flesh, or detect explosives. They are an intrusion into privacy and needlessly add to cumulative lifetime radiation doses, and there are no peer-reviewed studies that back up the government's claim they are safe.

Properly procured and administrated use of Explosive Trace Detection Portals (puffers) addresses the technical shortcomings of the body scanners, while at the same time are non-intrusive and pose no health risks. It’s unfortunate that the Chertoff Group and other lobbyists that profit from the deployment of body scanners have no interest in ETP technology that is being used in venues as varied as nuclear installations and the CN Tower in Toronto.

ETP, coupled with Walk Through Metal Detectors and x-ray of bags, is real security at the checkpoint, without the need for genital gropes.

2. Full accountability of TSA employees. A Citizen Review Board should be established to investigate allegations of screener abuse. Initiate a focus on customer service training for screeners, instead of barking and asking “Do you want to fly today?”

3. End the War on Liquids. The exemptions make it pointless, and even if there was such a Magic Liquid™ that could be used to create a bomb airside without laboratory conditions if you just had enough of it, just send ten guys through the checkpoint with their Kippie Bags and combine it airside.

4. End the removal of shoes. The X-Ray machine cannot detect explosives, period.

5. Eliminate the gate screenings. The fact that this is being done in MCI, where each gate area pretty much has its own checkpoint to start with, is proof that this is nothing more than security theatre and workfare.

The wearing of metal “police” badges is stopped immediately, and replaced with the screener’s name and identification number that is plainly visible. Phase out the “police” uniform and replace it with something that reflects the fact that screeners have no law enforcement powers. Eliminate the TSA Honor Guard as there is no need for screeners to dress up in costumes and parade around. Stop trying to cash in on the respect that people that serve in the military have earned.

5. Get rid of the No Fly List. There’s no effective means of redress or oversight how the list is managed. If the people on these lists are so dangerous, arrest them.

6. Stop trying to encroach on privately owned aircraft and kill LASP dead in its tracks. The Inspector General has determined that private aircraft are not a threat. Personal Liberties — For the first time, the TSA’s regulatory activities would be extended to personal GA aircraft, historic and vintage aircraft, and operators, passengers, and pilots flying for personal and business use. As such, the LASP is a radical departure from anything the TSA has enacted to date. It would, in effect, require governmental review and authority before you could operate your own personal vehicle.

7. Stop the ID checks. The TSA has no need to know who I am or where I’m flying. This is nothing more than revenue protection on behalf of the airlines. The thought that I must “present my papers” to travel within the border of my own country is disgusting. Stop using the checkpoint as a dragnet. College kids with fake IDs, illegal aliens, or some common criminal wanted on a drug charge somewhere are not a threat to commercial aviation. We have other government agencies tasked for this.

8. End the mission creep. No more TSA appearances at sporting events, bus and train stations, or highways. Let the real law enforcement professionals tasked with these venues handle things without interference from the TSA. Why is the TSA showing up at thousands of non-airport venues every year when the own Red Team test score failures are "off the charts" according to Rep. Mica?

9. The junk science SPOT program gets the boot.

10. Stop any consideration of having screeners armed with firearms, or having any law enforcement powers. We hear of continuous cases where airport LEOs are the last line of defense against abuse by TSA screeners.

What to do with the TSA long term-

The TSA should become a part of the DOT. Actual screening should be done by private contractors with oversight by the FAA. Funny how we never heard the constant stories of mistreatment and harassment of PAX, organized rings of theft and general thuggery when this was being done by private sector firms.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:22 pm

Programs: Delta, United
If it is a pilot program shouldn't the TDC just be asking the pilot.???? Hmm,

PAX : is this question part of a pilot program?

TDC : Yes

PAX : Ah, no worries I am not a pilot, just a passenger.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Ari
That card is silly for a variety of reasons.
But apparently you can't think of any just now.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by N965VJ
Always happy to oblige!

What to do with the TSA short term-
+1! Best summary of how to fix the TSA EVER!
Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
Just got off of the phone with the TSA call center and the lady was quite nice and spent about 10 minutes researching this and said she can find nothing regarding TSO ID checkers asking names or the policy on that. She said she would forward this to the IAH TSA management team to research it and get back to me. Yea, right...
Don't hold your breath. I've called to ask about NEXUS cards being refused, and have never gotten an answer
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HookemHorns
+1! Best summary of how to fix the TSA EVER!
I can say all of that in less words.

DISBAND TSA
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: Sky Miles, Star Alliance, Marriott
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
First, there is nothing here about saying my name as part of the process of presenting an ID.

That said I am thinking of modifying my disability card to say the following:

I will hand them the card, my ID and BP and begin to overlook the screening lines, not even looking at them. If they get my attention to ask the question, I will only answer by signing.
What's your "disability card"?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by G_Wolf
What's your "disability card"?
http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/disabi...tion_cards.pdf
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:58 am

Programs: *wood Gold
Fill that card blank with one word: IDIOPHOBIA

Then stand back and cower in fear when any TSO walks by.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Talking

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.