Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coming to a bus terminal near you…

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2009, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Coming to a bus terminal near you…

Greyhound bus passengers get screened, pat down in special TSA operation

Susan Jacobson Sentinel Staff Writer
October 22, 2009

Bryce Williams wasn't expecting to walk through a metal detector or have his bags screened for explosives at the Greyhound bus terminal near downtown Orlando.

But Williams and 689 other passengers went through tougher-than-normal security procedures Thursday as part of a random check coordinated by the U.S. Transportation Security Administration.

The idea is to keep off guard terrorists and others who mean harm, thereby improving safety for passengers and workers. There was no specific threat to the bus station on John Young Parkway south of Colonial Drive.

<SNIP>

Five people were arrested on illegal-immigration charges, and one person was picked up on a local warrant.
Linkage to the rest
Old Oct 23, 2009, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, can we have a show of hands of the smug TSAers here who say if we don't like the TSA at the airport we can take Amtrak or Greyhound? Isn't there one with a signature that says that?

I feel safer.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 9:08 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
Was this really about security or about immigration violations? More mission creep by our wonderful TSA.

Oh, I feel so much safer now.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 9:27 am

Five people were arrested on illegal-immigration charges, and one person was picked up on a local warrant.
Which relates to transportation security, how, exactly? (Ok, I'll concede the person with a warrant could have been a threat.)
Old Oct 23, 2009, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Which relates to transportation security, how, exactly? (Ok, I'll concede the person with a warrant could have been a threat.)
Trust me, if the warrant was serious enough, the TSA would have trumpeted from here to high hills that they captured a murderer or something like that.

My money is on it being a deadbeat dad, or someone wanted on a jaywalking violation-like charge or public urination (which would improve the smell of many Greyhound stations).
Old Oct 23, 2009, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
They also found glass bottles, knives, a single bullet, and a 23 year old woman with a tazer. That VIPR team ought to scoot on over to the Walmart on John Young Parkway, since they’ll find all that stuff there as well.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First
So did the TSA just show up one day and start enforcing more rules? Or were these rules already in place, just not well enforced? (I don't know, I never use Greyhound).
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:10 am

Programs: CO/DL
The last paragraph of the article state it best, ESP the last sentence about their future mode of transporation.

" Father and son said they skipped the airport because of the security hassles. Now, they're rethinking their choice.

"I'm driving from now on," Bryce Williams said"^

I wonder if the passengers were able to bring their liquids on the bus? or did they have to take off their shoes?

Whats next for the Greyhound station?, the nude-o-scope machine?

TSA, winning the publics confidence everyday
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Janus
So did the TSA just show up one day and start enforcing more rules? Or were these rules already in place, just not well enforced? (I don't know, I never use Greyhound).
When the TSA was established it was given the task of making secure all modes of transportation including trains and buses. Airports were seen as a priority.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SATTSO
When the TSA was established it was given the task of making secure all modes of transportation including trains and buses. Airports were seen as a priority.
So the next logical step in this mission creep will be checkpoints along the Interstate System?
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by N965VJ
So the next logical step in this mission creep will be checkpoints along the Interstate System?
DHS already has those. Should TSA prescreen people going through the immigration checks to make sure they don't blow up the immigration check?
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by N965VJ
I don't think it's mission creep to be at bus terminals and train/metro stations if that is in your origin charter. However, I don't think it says anything about our highways/freeways.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:38 am

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
How about we try this?

Originally Posted by SATTSO
Good point. Let's look at the record.

TSA implemented one level of screening for air travel and has been successful in preventing a terrorist attack. Well done!

TSA implemented a different level of screening for bus travel and has been equally successful in thwarting any terrorist attack. Well done, again!

Now it appears that TSA is beginning to change the screening for bus travel to resemble that it has previously used for air. Why not try the reverse? Change air travel screening to match the level previously in place for buses. After all, the argument we always hear to justify TSA at airports is, "We've never had an attack." Surely that statement is equally true for bus-borne terrorists; thus either level of scrutiny must be just as effective as the other.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Which relates to transportation security, how, exactly?
"On Thursday, 50 officials from agencies including TSA, Orlando police, the Orange County Sheriff's Office, and U.S. Customs and Border Protection patted down passengers. Behavior and explosives experts and dogs trained to sniff out bombs and drugs also were used."

What's the day's payroll for 50 brown and blue and green shirts PLUS several puppies AND some BDOs? OTOH, if it takes 50 cops (and TSA cop wannabes) to secure ONE bus station, full employment for all unemployed Americans is just one terror threat away. ^ We can be like East Germany, where 50% of the people were paid government snitches, watching the actions of the other 50% of the population. STASI Style Security Theater, here we come. ^

"The idea is to keep off guard terrorists and others who mean harm"

Breaking SSI intecept from the Third Cave on the Left, Hideoutistan:

OBL to #2 (putting down his Orlando Sentinel, one of the 836 US papers he reads daily) "Well, better scratch that plan to hijack a bus in Orlando and crash it into Shamu. Our greatest enemy, the TSA VIPER Teams, are doing preemptive strikes at Greyhound."
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by T-the-B
Good point. Let's look at the record.

TSA implemented one level of screening for air travel and has been successful in preventing a terrorist attack. Well done!

TSA implemented a different level of screening for bus travel and has been equally successful in thwarting any terrorist attack. Well done, again!

Now it appears that TSA is beginning to change the screening for bus travel to resemble that it has previously used for air. Why not try the reverse? Change air travel screening to match the level previously in place for buses. After all, the argument we always hear to justify TSA at airports is, "We've never had an attack." Surely that statement is equally true for bus-borne terrorists; thus either level of scrutiny must be just as effective as the other.
Your welcome!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.