Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

On what authority is cell phone use banned at Customs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

On what authority is cell phone use banned at Customs?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2011, 3:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
I'm sure CBP does employ clerks, but they're not the ones checking travel documents, examining luggage and enforcing laws.
Clerks perform administrative, non policy-making duties -- and checking travel documents and examining luggage are just that.

CBP clerks are the ones who are checking travel documents and examining luggage of the passengers as they arrive at the airport or wherever in the airport passengers are most routinely running into CBP.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Clerks perform administrative, non policy-making duties -- and checking travel documents and examining luggage are just that.
Which dictionary do you use? Oxford, for example, has a number of definitions for the word "clerk". But only one of them comes close to your usage:

1 a person employed in an office or bank to keep records or accounts and to undertake other routine administrative duties.

Do CBP Officers work in offices or banks? Not usually. Not that it matters since that's enough to end the analysis, but...Do they keep records or accounts? Only incidentally to their other tasks. Do they undertake routine admin duties? Again, only incidentally.

Last edited by Deeg; Jan 26, 2011 at 5:48 am Reason: rephrase
Old Jan 26, 2011, 5:55 am
Suspended

Those aren't all the definitions of the word "clerk", but if clerks want to take clerical issue with the use of the word "clerk" being applied to the same, it won't be a game changer. Rather it would be much akin to terrorists not being thrilled with being called terrorists and trying to make hay out of nothing when a term is appropriately applied to them too.

CBP clerks are doing the tasks of clerks: administrative duties of a mundane, repetitive nature -- that's what immigration and customs checks are. No amount of protests about categorization as clerks is going to change the nature of the CBP clerks.

Cute edit, by the way, which went above and beyond a "rephrase" of the original.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 26, 2011 at 6:00 am
Old Jan 26, 2011, 7:16 am

I'd like to think he's using the historical archaism: "a scholar; a learned person; a man of letters", but I have worked with enough dullards to know that couldn't possibly be the case.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 7:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
I'd like to think he's using the historical archaism: "a scholar; a learned person; a man of letters", but I have worked with enough dullards to know that couldn't possibly be the case.
That's not a very diplomatic way of speaking about your professional colleagues, but speak of them however you wish.

You may believe whatever you wish or -- at least -- try to convince others to believe whatever you fancy, but its not going to change the following: it's the uncommon CBP employee that is a clerk in the appreciable academic sense of being a "a scholar; a learned person; a man of letters"; and, rather, it's the very common CBP employee at airports that are clerks by way of performing routine daily, repeated administrative tasks that are for "dullards" as you termed them.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 7:46 am

Old Jan 26, 2011, 7:57 am
Suspended

Of the many countries to which I have been, most don't make a public issue with international arriving passengers using cell phones in the lines to the immigration desk, in the baggage claim hall or even when passing the "controlled" customs check-point that leads to the "landside" arrivals waiting area accessible to the general public as well.

Why a minority of these countries get all power-mad over international arrival passengers' mobile phone use when most other countries seem to make no issue of it should invite lots of question about why this kind of control-freak behavior is demanded daily by the immigration/customs clerks in some countries but apparently not as routinely "necessary" in most other countries.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 7:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
For what it's worth, I recently landed on an international lgith at the new Tom Bradley terminal at LAX. The line from bag claim through the exit control was at least 20 minutes.

I saw no signs in the baggage claim area saying we couldn't use cell phones. Many of the people in the long line had their cell phones out and were using them as they moved through the line at a snail's pace. No CBP officers were going around yelling at people or trying to stop them from using their phones.

Maybe CBP has decided to give up on trying to stop people at baggage claim from using phones.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 4:14 pm

I was going through US customs in YUL in January, and while the agent was looking over my passport, I pulled out my phone to check the time. The guy yelled at me and, I kid you not, threatened to detain me and make me miss my flight! All for *looking* at my cell phone! Ahh, power trips.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 4:28 pm

Mobile Passport Control App Should Mean That They Won't Object to Smartphones

CBP now has a Mobile Passport Control App, where you enter info in the app before you speak with an inspector:

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizen...ssport-control

Given that they are now encouraging travelers to pull out their phone to use the app, I would assume that they will drop their objection to use of smartphones.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
How much time does that actually save? My typical interaction with a CBP officer to inspect my passport is usually less than 1 minute.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:44 pm

Most CPB officers need to relax.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Are the parts of US airports used by ordinary passengers considered "Constitution-free" zones?
It would be if the airport is within 100 mi of a border or the ocean, thanks to the (un)patriot act.....
Old Mar 19, 2016, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gonebabygone
I was going through US customs in YUL in January, and while the agent was looking over my passport, I pulled out my phone to check the time. The guy yelled at me and, I kid you not, threatened to detain me and make me miss my flight! All for *looking* at my cell phone! Ahh, power trips.
Customs or immigration? I'd expect it for the latter.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Customs or immigration? I'd expect it for the latter.
Yup, immigration. Sorry, I use the terms interchangeably when I really shouldn't!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.