Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

On what authority is cell phone use banned at Customs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

On what authority is cell phone use banned at Customs?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2011, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
Such a regulation can't possibly exist without some limitations on what the signs might be permitted to say.
It appears that it does exist without limitation. 41 CFR 102-74.385 reads in its entirety:

Persons in and on property must at all times comply with official
signs of a prohibitory, regulatory or directory nature and with the
lawful direction of Federal police officers and other authorized
individuals.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Deeg
It appears that it does exist without limitation. 41 CFR 102-74.385 reads in its entirety:
Thanks for confirming something:

Originally Posted by GUWonder
That wouldn't shock me, but that is an invitation for all sorts of government abuse of the people and would seem to excuse all sorts of nonsense and invite inconsistency (beyond that which is already the situation when it comes to DHS). For example, by such a "standard", if DHS clowns put up a sign telling passengers to drop trouser and get raped without complaint in the "federally controlled area", that's a sign that would then "require compliance" by US persons?
Originally Posted by MissRoseDarrensAngel
I think its partly to keep the lines going as I've been behind too many people in other places who are not paying attention because they have to be on their phone (unless is a dire emergency).

The stuff about smuggling and stuff, I can see why the phones need to be off. I have no issue with leaving my phone off until I've cleared customs/immigration. I remember at DTW when I was returning from London, and a customs office was constantly saying to people not to be on their mobile phones. I understand people want to tell their loved ones they've landed etc. but those calls can wait the few minutes til you've cleared customs.
It has nothing to to with keeping the lines going.

Preventing people from doing something normal out of paranoia that a very small minority of people might use the same means to aid or abet or engage in criminal activity is a ridiculous reason upon which to justify CBP's mission creep to subjugate people who may wish to use phones on arrival to the US for all sorts of ordinary reasons that are perfectly lawful.

Personally, as soon as I land on the ground in the US, I send a barrage of communications to those whom I consider ought to be contacted ASAP -- and that may include emails, text messages and/or phone calls.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 28, 2011 at 7:26 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jan 22, 2011, 2:48 pm

Programs: Persona Non-Status, DYKWIA Club President, Formerly of Pa Kettle Fame
I regularly get sent to the interview area after customs. Twice, I've been processed by an agent on their cellphone. While I like the no cellphone rule, I wish that they would apply to more uniformly.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 3:49 pm

Programs: United
Then I insist a rule requiring all hot women to remove their clothes in the screening area.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 4:14 pm

I sure hope your grandmother, mother, daughters, sisters, aunts, wife is in that screening area when that rule become a requirement. Then we will see if they agree with your idea.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Lara21
I sure hope your grandmother, mother, daughters, sisters, aunts, wife is in that screening area when that rule become a requirement. Then we will see if they agree with your idea.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 5:31 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, United
Originally Posted by Combat Medic
Then I insist a rule requiring all hot women to remove their clothes in the screening area.
Originally Posted by Lara21
I am, as a woman, pretty sure it was said in jest or good humor or sarcasm or hyperbole, etc.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by NotaCriminal
I am, as a woman, pretty sure it was said in jest or good humor or sarcasm or hyperbole, etc.
Very much so.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by NotaCriminal
Hence the photo of the exasperated bald man in the strange red shirt

Old Jan 22, 2011, 8:02 pm

Persons in and on property must at all times comply with official
individuals.
That's circular, though, because, as stated, it only requires compliance with signs that have a basis in some regulation or law. So we're back to where we started from: what is the basis in law or regulation for those signs?
Old Jan 22, 2011, 8:57 pm

If cbp is soooo concerned about people "seeing the computer screens" then why don't they just...SHIELD THEM FROM VIEW!?!?!? WHAT I ask is the difference between a camera and a person with good memory!?!? If this agency is so incompetent that it can't keep "unauthorized" people from seeing a little computer screen, then it's no wonder we have so many illegals roaming our country! If they can't guard a little 17 inch screen, then why are we trusting these clowns to guad twelve thousand MILES of border!?
Old Jan 22, 2011, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
That's circular, though, because, as stated, it only requires compliance with signs that have a basis in some regulation or law. So we're back to where we started from: what is the basis in law or regulation for those signs?
The regulation:Persons in and on property must at all times comply with official
individuals.

It requires compliance with signs "of a prohibitory, regulatory, or directory nature." Presumably, a sign prohibiting cell phone usage would be a sign of "prohibitory nature." I don't see a requirement in that regulation that requires the sign to have a basis in law or regulation.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Ellie M
It requires compliance with signs "of a prohibitory, regulatory, or directory nature." Presumably, a sign prohibiting cell phone usage would be a sign of "prohibitory nature." I don't see a requirement in that regulation that requires the sign to have a basis in law or regulation.
Originally Posted by Ellie M
The regulation:Persons in and on property must at all times comply with official
individuals.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:14 pm

The regulation says that people must conform with both "lawful directions" and with "official signs." I still don't see where it says that the "official signs" must be based on law/regulation.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by LessO2
Sadly, the tone in which the OP asked his/her question is the norm around here now.
I'm curious to know what tone you read into my question. I just read it again, and it reads like a legitimate question to me. Is there an authority which allows CBP to ban talking on a cell phone while they keep you waiting?

Based on what I've seen so far, I'm not convinced there is a legitimate authority that allows them to do this. I would point out that I'm talking about the time spent waiting in line. I can accept that once you reach the agent the phone should be off, however I have some difficulty with the notion that we (CBP) can keep you waiting for us, but you can't keep us waiting for you. But that's just me thinking that I'm just as important as they are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.