Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the point of TSA marking your BP?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HSVTSO Dean
I know it actually works like it's supposed to here in Huntsville; if a passenger is boarding the plane and presents a boarding pass that doesn't have the markings on it, then the gate agent doesn't allow them to board. Instead, they call us at the checkpoint, and we go to the gate to verify that they've been screened.

On the other hand, I've also read some threads here on FT where the gate agent didn't notice/didn't care about the non-presence of the markings on the boarding passes.
I have never had a GA refuse to accept my boarding pass because it doesn't have TSA squiggles on it.

This is an absolutely stupid and undefendable procedure.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In theory, the markings (I obviously can't speak for some other airports' "scribbles," but in HSV it's the initials of the TSO working at the TDC position) are for the benefit of the airline gate agents, so that they know the person came through the checkpoint and was screened.

In theory.

I know it actually works like it's supposed to here in Huntsville; if a passenger is boarding the plane and presents a boarding pass that doesn't have the markings on it, then the gate agent doesn't allow them to board. Instead, they call us at the checkpoint, and we go to the gate to verify that they've been screened.

On the other hand, I've also read some threads here on FT where the gate agent didn't notice/didn't care about the non-presence of the markings on the boarding passes.
As a frequent flier, I routinely go through security using the boarding pass I printed at home the night before, then go to the Red Carpet Club and either get an upgrade or a better seat, resulting in issuance of a new boarding pass, i.e. one sans squiggle. I've never, not since the beginning of TSA, had a gate agent challenge the boarding pass. I'm not saying you're wrong about HSV, but it certainly isn't the case with respect to any of the airports that I fly through.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Chellian
I think it's supposed to say as follows:

-Passenger presented at security podium.
-I matched passenger's ID to name on ticket.
-I checked that the ticket is for a flight today, out of a terminal this C/P goes to, on an airline that actually exists. In other words, it doesn't say Braniff.
-I verified that passenger has valid ID, it's not expired, or their Blockbuster card. I used that UV loupe to look at their passport or ID.
-I, Screener XYZ, did all this stuff.
-This isn't some random person who got into the screening line.

I think I'm okay with this. The markings are...well, I guess they mean something, they're usually kind of consistent. Also, if you have a Super Special Screening Spassenger, you can divert them to wherever the TSA does their Super Special Sexualized Screening at.
This is exactly what they are, as I asked the screener at EWR what he was marking on the boarding pass if the only other person to look at it was the airline flight attendant when you boarded the plane. (nice kid - wasn't hoity toity at all and politely answered my question and pointed out what all the marks were for).

Except he didn't say anything about making sure it was a valid id - just that the id matched the name on the BP, that the airport/date were correct, and then there is a four digit number they write when they're done checking the other stuff which is the last four numbers on their ID badge, so that if some problem occurs later on with the BP, they can trace it back to who checked the person through security. No "what is your name" at EWR though.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
It's my understanding that the purpose of the "scribble" is to force TDC to spend some more time with the BP.
...and to justify headcount.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:25 am

Programs: *wood Gold
What an absolutely moronic process that shows TSA's "thinking" at its best. They can't hire trustworthy TDCs, and they can't hire trustworthy people through the checkpoint, so they put the onus on a private business to spend their employees' time to check for "magic squiggles".

If I were running an airline out of there, I'd instruct my employees to ignore the stupidity and just let everyone board - as it easily gets rid of an undue burden.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
And what if the passenger entered the secure system at another airport? Their BP to fly out of your airport would not have squiggles.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 12:14 pm

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
And what if the passenger entered the secure system at another airport? Their BP to fly out of your airport would not have squiggles.
Shhh! They're hoping that the terrorists haven't yet figured out that there's more than one airport in the US.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA, AA, FB
Originally Posted by sbagdon
How about adding editorial content to the boarding pass?
What about: "If you can read this, you can read my name too and there's no need for me to say it out loud."
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
I just looked at my boarding passes on my recent LGA-ORD trip, they only have check marks next to the date and flight info and their initials, no numbers

I often change planes in ATL when I fly on Delta, using the boarding pass I printed out at home, or at the hotel, and these boarding passes has no TSA marks on at all, because they never look at any additional legs of my trip, just the boarding pass for the originating airport departure.

So I dont agree with HSVTSO on that policy, I sure at Huntsville, nobody connects there so everyones boarding pass is the origination leg of the trip, but try that at ATL, DFW or ORD to name a few major hubs, there would be mass chaos is everyones boarding pass for each leg has to be checked.

And like PTravel, I often change seats or get my upgraded boarding passes at the Sky Club, which is in the sterile area. I have never seen a gate agent look at anything, other then when they announce first class boarding look to check that only those who are seated in first class are boarding look over a boarding pass

Mr. Elliott
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by PatrickHenry1775
Huh??? What does the lack of a clipboard have to do with making squiggly marks on a BP?
Because, as everyone knows, holding a clipboard in your hands imparts sense of gravitas that the clerks innately lack. It IS theater, after all, in an asymptotic effort to actually improve security.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:03 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by tsastatus
I just found this thread and got the idea: the next time I fly (in addition to, of course, posting on tsastatus.net) I'll bring two (or more) copies of my BP. I'll stand in line, get the squiggle, and immediately rip it to shreds. When they ask why, I'll point out that I have others, and I don't like it when people draw pictures on my things. I'm sure that won't cause any trouble.

(Actually, they probably won't even notice.)
Better yet-do what I do.....

Check-in online*, reprint my BP at one of the kiosks, give the TDC the on-line version of my BP, clear security, rip up the on-line BP withe the "security squiggle" on it into little iddy biddy pieces and toss into the nearest trash can and use the kiosk issued BP to board my flight.

*if you don't have access to on-line check-in, simply print two copies of your BP at the kiosk and repeat the above
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Back to the original OP: Chertoff probably has an interest in a company that markets markers to the government at an exceptionally inflated price.

use the markers more, they run out faster, profits go up....

Hey, if they use enough different colors, maybe Chertoff can corner the market for TSA-approved pocket-protectors for all the markers the TDC needs to use.

Or better yet, a 'toolbelt' to hold the markers, black light, rubber stamp.

Everything but maybe a list of the accepted government IDs that has been out-of-date for years on the website.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:11 pm

And ... how could you verify that they've been screened or not --- absent the magic markings on the boarding pass? At that point, it's the passenger's word versus the TSO's ...
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by goalie
Better yet-do what I do.....

Check-in online*, reprint my BP at one of the kiosks, give the TDC the on-line version of my BP, clear security, rip up the on-line BP withe the "security squiggle" on it into little iddy biddy pieces and toss into the nearest trash can and use the kiosk issued BP to board my flight.

*if you don't have access to on-line check-in, simply print two copies of your BP at the kiosk and repeat the above
You dont even have to do that, every airline has self service kiosks near their gate areas, just print out another BP there, no questions asked by the machines,

Mr. Elliott
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
And ... how could you verify that they've been screened or not --- absent the magic markings on the boarding pass? At that point, it's the passenger's word versus the TSO's ...
?? What if you are a connecting pax? I often print out both boarding passes at home or at the kiosk. I only show the BP for my originating flight to the TDC at my originating airport.

When I'm at the gate for my connecting flight, I have deplaned inside security and have not left the sterile area. The boarding pass for my onward flight does not have any markings on it.

Same is true (for different reasons) for someone who goes to a lounge and gets a new boarding pass.

i would be curious to know how they handle these situations at HSV (or are there no connecting flights or lounges at HSV)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.