Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the point of TSA marking your BP?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2010, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium

Just going through some boarding passes from my many trips this year, I've always wondered why the clerk performing TDC duty uses a highlighter to check mark items on my BP, or stamp it with a silly stamp that says (DHS-TSA-TDC).. Is there any point to this? Obviously they might mark you as SSSS when you pass through, but it still seems pretty pointless.. Many times when I travel, I get a new BP on card stock, use mobile BP (which does not get scribbled on),use my OLCI BP which I kept in my bag, or discard the scribble BP, or just don't use it for the rest of the trip.. Pointless, huh?

Thoughts are appreciated.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 12:51 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
who owns the company marketing highlighters to the TSA?
Old Dec 12, 2010, 6:05 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
The point? It's a make-work scheme.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 6:09 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by essxjay
The point? It's a make-work scheme.
Exactly - make it look they have something important to do which justifies giving them government benefits and whatever pittance of a salary that you and I are paying for.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 6:13 am

Programs: AA 1M mile Gold, AS, BA, WN, SPG Gold
I think it's supposed to say as follows:

-Passenger presented at security podium.
-I matched passenger's ID to name on ticket.
-I checked that the ticket is for a flight today, out of a terminal this C/P goes to, on an airline that actually exists. In other words, it doesn't say Braniff.
-I verified that passenger has valid ID, it's not expired, or their Blockbuster card. I used that UV loupe to look at their passport or ID.
-I, Screener XYZ, did all this stuff.
-This isn't some random person who got into the screening line.

I think I'm okay with this. The markings are...well, I guess they mean something, they're usually kind of consistent. Also, if you have a Super Special Screening Spassenger, you can divert them to wherever the TSA does their Super Special Sexualized Screening at.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 6:36 am

As far as I know, the only case when it matters is at airports that don't have separate lines for selectees, so that the WTMD person asks for the BP again. In that case, if TDC marks somebody a selecteee, they don't want the person to simply pull out a copy of their BP without that mark. I suspect the major reason is just that TDC having to actually do something with the BP makes them pay more attention to it.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 9:15 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Just going through some boarding passes from my many trips this year, I've always wondered why the clerk performing TDC duty uses a highlighter to check mark items on my BP, or stamp it with a silly stamp that says (DHS-TSA-TDC).. Is there any point to this? Obviously they might mark you as SSSS when you pass through, but it still seems pretty pointless.. Many times when I travel, I get a new BP on card stock, use mobile BP (which does not get scribbled on),use my OLCI BP which I kept in my bag, or discard the scribble BP, or just don't use it for the rest of the trip.. Pointless, huh?

Thoughts are appreciated.
That marking is for accountabillity.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 9:38 am

Programs: AA, WN RR
Originally Posted by eyecue
So that TSA supervisor drones know that the TDC smurf drone was not asleep at the podium?
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:21 am

Riiiight.

I arrived from MUC earlier this month, and my second boarding pass had a scribble on it (I believe courtesy of UA at MUC as the rest of the world doesn't play the scribble game either)

When I approached TDC for my connecting flight, he was very confused. He kept saying 'you went outside' while looking at the scribble. I asked him how I was supposed to get to that terminal without going outside, and if in fact there was some way that I had missed all these years, to please tell me. The fact that I already had a scribble just seemed to stump him, and he said several times 'you went outside'.

Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:22 am

Programs: *Alliance
Which begs the question - are unmarked mobile boarding passes evidence of non-accountability? It is a great example of nonsensical security theatre at work.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:27 am

Yep. Fail proof infallibility, because it's a known fact that no one else in the world can gain access to the dreaded yellow highlighter.

And I was not aware that the meaning of 'accountability' was understood by TSA
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
In MSP, the mark is only the checkpoint number. I guess it narrows down who did the checking but they would have to review video to who checked me. I tend to clear very early or just under the wire, not the 60-90 minutes stuff.

I am also waiting to hear what security, not revenue protection, measures the name matching accomplishes.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 11:22 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
In MSP, the mark is only the checkpoint number. I guess it narrows down who did the checking but they would have to review video to who checked me. I tend to clear very early or just under the wire, not the 60-90 minutes stuff.

I am also waiting to hear what security, not revenue protection, measures the name matching accomplishes.

especially since its a known fact that clerks have no clue as to who is on the NFL nor have memorized the hundreds of thousands of names on it.

Its sort of like UPS new policy for when you ship from the UPS store. they now demand you to show your ID but no where do they record it anywhere. So when the next plane goes boom they wont have a friggen clue, because i guarantee you the person behind the counter wont remember one person out of hundreds to thousands they see each day.

I sat at the local station for 30 mins last week waiting on a package to come back from being on a truck and watched this charade. Then when my package finally came it was brought out by the station manager because it had more forms then a IRS audit on it (customs, insurance,etc). I made mention of the stupidity of the whole "new requirements" and at first he said he was all for it as it "made things safer" till i pointed out the wholes the size of a 747-400ER in it and then the light bulb went off as to it being totally stupid and in reality back tracking it wouldnt be that easy.

Funny one was for a package worth $5K+ i didnt have to show any ID for because i had the door hanger slip.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 11:26 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Management determined that this was preferable to providing each TSA clerk with a clipboard.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 11:30 am

Programs: AA, WN RR
Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie
Management determined that this was preferable to providing each TSA clerk with a clipboard.
Huh??? What does the lack of a clipboard have to do with making squiggly marks on a BP?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.