Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA's impact on teen girls

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2010, 10:47 am

Programs: HH DIA
Originally Posted by sobetraveler
Maybe 10 teenagers can go through the pat-down, maybe 3 can blow it off in the moment as stupid and fully process it, maybe 3 will be mildly embarassed and take several days to get over it but won't want to repeat it, but maybe the other 4 will be downright ashamed and feel invaded and not recover...

Some of us are easily victimized, and some of us our stronger.
Completely agree with this. We're all genetically different in how we handle things. There is no "one size fits all' for any situation, so you would think that when it comes to touching in the genital area, even less than a "one size fits all" approach is called for here, to put it mildly.

TSA suggests they may need to become more sensitive to those who are sexual abuse victims, well what about THEIR victims?
How completely moronic is it that this is even a discussion within the TSA, and at the Pistole level, as evidenced by his comments in USA Today? To think that they put policies in place (which Pistole chose to spring on the public rather than discussing upfront) where they are surprised after the fact that sexual abuse victims might have a problem with this??? That shows a total lack of any sense or empathy or knowledge of the human condition. *Nothing* is worth our security if it involves something to the point where people, and especially sexual abuse victims, are traumatized by it. That they don't seem to understand that, and are surprised that this is even an issue, leaves me feeling quite hopeless some days.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 10:27 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
TSA Rolls Out “Cool Strangers With Candy” Program

“Domestic extremists have been trying to portray TSA agents as ogres,” said Napolitano. “Our ‘Cool Strangers With Candy’ campaign will help our children see TSA workers for what they are: friendly, funny, cool strangers who will give kids great candy in exchange for touching their breasts, buttocks, and genitals.”
http://www.popehat.com/2010/12/04/ts...candy-program/

Old Dec 7, 2010, 3:18 pm

And it varies on the individual...

Maybe 10 teenagers can go through the pat-down, maybe 3 can blow it off in the moment as stupid and fully process it, maybe 3 will be mildly embarassed and take several days to get over it but won't want to repeat it, but maybe the other 4 will be downright ashamed and feel invaded and not recover...

Some of us are easily victimized, and some of us our stronger.

TSA suggests they may need to become more sensitive to those who are sexual abuse victims, well what about THEIR victims?
Remembering myself as a teenager, I would definitely have felt ashamed and violated if I received a TSA gropedown. I was a very modest, private teenager and to be touched so cavalierly would have really upset me.

Of course, it still upsets me now. But I have a bit more self-confidence now, and I'm able to be angry about it. As a teenager I would have internalized the upset feeling, and felt dirty and ashamed, as though I had done something wrong. This would have been magnified if the TSO yelled at me or scolded me for anything.

I think lots of teenagers feel this sense of modesty and discomfort with being touched like that by a stranger -- both boys and girls. Teenagers are hyper-aware of their bodies because puberty is changing them so much. And teenagers are also trying to figure out how to deal with sexual thoughts and feelings, which can be overwhelming and scary -- especially dealing with being the object of someone else's thoughts. So having control over who sees and touches your body is especially important to many teenagers, and having that control taken away can be especially upsetting.

And frankly -- no matter whether it's a teenager or an adult -- the TSA has no right to force people to give up that control. We haven't been arrested, we're not prisoners. There is absolutely no reason why we should have to give up all bodily privacy at the airport.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 3:25 pm

Location: Northern California, in the redwoods, on the ocean.
Don't you just love Pistole's brainless admonishment: "Submit [or don't fly]"

What a social incompetent. How did such a moron get such a power position?
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
I think we're going to see more incidents of 'grooming' under the guise of frisking - for both boys and girls.

Young kids go to the airport. They are now told they have to let strangers touch them to protect them from the 'bad guys'. They see their parents submit. They sense the tension and discomfort (come on, it's too much to believe that even those who approve of this stuff enjoy it. I believe even Pistole described it as 'uncomfortable' but said our social norms will have to change).

So young kids will be told that strangers can touch them, they can expect to be uncomfortable and not like it, it will be to 'protect' them. So how long before a scoutmaster or a coach 'frisks' kids to 'protect' them, when in fact it's the first step in grooming a kid. Worst of all, we can't even tell our kids to follow their instincts - if it doesn't feel right, say no. They will have been trained to accept invasive touching by strangers, even if it makes them feel uncomfortable. And they will probably have asked 'why?' or 'what if I say no?' at some point and been told in no uncertain terms 'you have to'.
I found this after researching some TSA stuff. Years later, seems you've been proven right. People just accept it now, and as a parent who flies a lot, my daughter has had to get used to the pat downs. Whether I would feel different if I had a son, I don't know, because for all claims of equality, boys seem to be, in general, more relaxed about touching. But my daughter certainly wasn't the first time and neither was I - but what could I do? Someone once tried groping a TSA agent back and she got convicted of assault, so it's a good job I didn't fight back. After having told my daughter that nobody can touch her genitals (except a doctor if she has a medical problem there, or me (her mom) if there's some important reason like she's injured and can't wash herself until she's healed), I literally stood and watched as a TSA adult woman rubbed her hands over my daughter's crotch right in front of me, my 9-year-old daughter visibly uncomfortable and looking to me for help. She was asking me about it and all I could think to say was "It's alright" (or words to that effect), but she pressed the issue, asking why it was alright if I told her before that it wasn't. I told her that she was touched to protect her, and she told me it made her feel uncomfortable. As I knew we were going to be flying a lot, I told her that she was just going to have to accept it. The worst bit is I distinctly remember her asking me "I have to accept being touched by strangers now?" and I said yes. She asked why and actually did ask what would happen if she said "no", and I told her exactly what you said - "you have to". And told her that if she said "no", she'd get in trouble.

Fast forward to now, and she's totally used to being fondled by the TSA. She just accepts it as part of life and doesn't complain any more. But I recently learned a female family friend had been touching her sexually. She was talking about what they had been doing while the friend was looking after my daughter, and she told me about the touching in a really nonchalant way, as though it was nothing. It had been going on for months, but she hadn't told me because people touch her at the airport now, so she's used to her crotch being touched. That's not what I meant when I said she'd have to get used to the airport touching, but it's what's happened. She's completely normalised being groped, that she just submissively accepted my female friend doing it to her. As you say, I can't tell her to trust her instincts because of what was said before, because she's been trained to accept invasive touching by strangers. So our social norms have gone from "nobody can touch you there" to "anyone can touch you there and you shouldn't complain about it". Great. On the bright side, at least she doesn't seem traumatised.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by ParentalFlyer
I found this after researching some TSA stuff. Years later, seems you've been proven right. People just accept it now, and as a parent who flies a lot, my daughter has had to get used to the pat downs. Whether I would feel different if I had a son, I don't know, because for all claims of equality, boys seem to be, in general, more relaxed about touching. But my daughter certainly wasn't the first time and neither was I - but what could I do? Someone once tried groping a TSA agent back and she got convicted of assault, so it's a good job I didn't fight back. After having told my daughter that nobody can touch her genitals (except a doctor if she has a medical problem there, or me (her mom) if there's some important reason like she's injured and can't wash herself until she's healed), I literally stood and watched as a TSA adult woman rubbed her hands over my daughter's crotch right in front of me, my 9-year-old daughter visibly uncomfortable and looking to me for help. She was asking me about it and all I could think to say was "It's alright" (or words to that effect), but she pressed the issue, asking why it was alright if I told her before that it wasn't. I told her that she was touched to protect her, and she told me it made her feel uncomfortable. As I knew we were going to be flying a lot, I told her that she was just going to have to accept it. The worst bit is I distinctly remember her asking me "I have to accept being touched by strangers now?" and I said yes. She asked why and actually did ask what would happen if she said "no", and I told her exactly what you said - "you have to". And told her that if she said "no", she'd get in trouble.

Fast forward to now, and she's totally used to being fondled by the TSA. She just accepts it as part of life and doesn't complain any more. But I recently learned a female family friend had been touching her sexually. She was talking about what they had been doing while the friend was looking after my daughter, and she told me about the touching in a really nonchalant way, as though it was nothing. It had been going on for months, but she hadn't told me because people touch her at the airport now, so she's used to her crotch being touched. That's not what I meant when I said she'd have to get used to the airport touching, but it's what's happened. She's completely normalised being groped, that she just submissively accepted my female friend doing it to her. As you say, I can't tell her to trust her instincts because of what was said before, because she's been trained to accept invasive touching by strangers. So our social norms have gone from "nobody can touch you there" to "anyone can touch you there and you shouldn't complain about it". Great. On the bright side, at least she doesn't seem traumatised.
You need to send this to your congresspeople and to any and all organizations that deal with child sexual abuse..

Further as TSA has said they don't intentionally touch genitals, tinyurl.com/y9ttb62p a police report is in order when yours or your daughter's are probed.

Either genital contact by TSA is deliberate or, as Chollie has suggested, there are many screeners who enjoy feeling up passengers & take advantage to get their jollies.
Spiff, GUWonder and Loren Pechtel like this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:12 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

Folks,

Please keep in mind this forum's guidelines when posting in this thread:
Please Read: Important Information

Originally Posted by scoow
Welcome to Travel Safety/Security’s Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum. While this forum permits discussion and civil debate of travel security policy, the FlyerTalk Guidelines & Rules still apply. The moderators will enforce a zero-tolerance policy against personal attacks – against a fellow FTer, TS/S posters in general, or TSA employees as a group. While we don't wish to turn away reflective criticism we do ask that participants refrain from posting behaviors that only serve to inflame or disrupt the forum. Derisive terms used to grossly generalize others such as A. S. S., smurf, goon, thug, Gestapo, Nazi, perv, perp, kettles, gropers, mouth-breathers and the like add no value to the forum and are not permitted.

Moderators may delete posts and move or close threads without notice. This notice may be considered your “warning”.
Posts have been deleted.

Please consider this to be your one and only warning! Future violators will be subject to discipline (FT Rule 23) without additional notice.

Thank you for your understanding and your future compliance with this forum's posting guidelines and the FlyerTalk Rules.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.