Wiki Posts
Search

WBI & patdowns: The impact

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

WBI & patdowns: The impact

TSA has ramped up the level of screening with the expedited roll out of WBI and more recently the new pat down called by TSA "Standard" or "Enhanced".

Why is this happening?

I suggest that TSA is acting with integrity and the real threat to commercial aviation is so great that TSA feels a need to do these screenings.

However, if TSA is acting on real intelligence and the threat is that great should anyone choose to fly via commercial air?

Would not the wise person find other means of conveyance?

We know that TSA has a poor record of finding threats during Red Teams test so even with the current increased screening methods being used I suggest it is just to dangerous to utilize commercial air.

It's time to cash in your tickets, take the train, drive or just not travel.

TSA is telling us that commercial air is dangerous, I suggest we listen to TSA.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
TSA has ramped up the level of screening with the expedited roll out of WBI and more recently the new pat down called by TSA "Standard" or "Enhanced".

Why is this happening?

I suggest that TSA is acting with integrity and the real threat to commercial aviation is so great that TSA feels a need to do these screenings.

However, if TSA is acting on real intelligence and the threat is that great should anyone choose to fly via commercial air?

We know that TSA has a poor record of finding threats during Red Teams test so even with the current increased screening methods being used I suggest it is just to dangerous to utilize commercial air.

Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:54 am

Why is this happening?

Hmmm... In May of next year I need to be in Dublin/Ireland, Frankfurt/Germany and Singapore all in the same week. My starting point is Toronto/Canada. How would you suggest I accomplish this? My work has me flitting from city to city. Suggestions?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:59 am

Programs: One Pass, Amex, HH
Originally Posted by Darkumbra
Hmmm... In May of next year I need to be in Dublin/Ireland, Frankfurt/Germany and Singapore all in the same week. My starting point is Toronto/Canada. How would you suggest I accomplish this? My work has me flitting from city to city. Suggestions?
Skype?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by kitakizmo
Skype?
As a professional speaker? Not exactly the right medium for what I do. And no - being there virtually isn't the same
Old Nov 18, 2010, 6:11 am

My wife and I are seriously thinking about canceling our flight to Orlando when I redeploy. We are taking the kids to DW and this will be the kids first flight. Grandma and Grandpa are going with us otherwise we would have already canceled the tickets. If we do fly, this will be the last time. If we end up canceling them, it will be entirely because of the TSA NoS and grope nonsense and will mean two days of driving versus one day of flying. It will be worth it to us to keep our sanity, dignity and rights intact, though.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What I'm suggesting is that TSA continues to state that these new enhanced screening methods are absolutely needed.

We also know that TSA has a poor Red Team Test track record.

What is TSA concerned about that requires this increase in screening protocol? Are the methods and TSA's expertise good enough to interdict whatever threat that seems to be causing so much concern?

Your decision to travel is yours alone. I'm just concerned that TSA is aware of real threats and are letting travelers hang in the breeze.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:06 am

TI suggest that TSA is acting with integrity and the real threat to commercial aviation is so great that TSA feels a need to do these screenings.
Sadly, any corrections officer knows the danger of not searcing body cavities. It's standard procedure when incarcerating a criminal.

If the TSA is acting in good faith then why have they lef such a glaring hole*
in their procedures. If they did not realise there was such a hole, then they are so grossly incompatant, they provide no security anyway.

*(no pun intended)
Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Exec Club, EK Skywards, Hilton Hhonors. No Mucci, but have a far more useful Gucci (wallet).
Assuming you are serious, Take a Lufthansa Star alliance ticket.

Toronto-Frankfurt (LH)
Frankfurt-Dublin (LH)
Dublin-Frankfurt-Singapore (LH)
Singapore-Frankfurt (LH)
frankfurt-Toronto. (LH)

The ticket would be about the same, if not cheaper, than any US based carrier. Toronto has a LOT of international flights out of it.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tinman435
Sadly, any corrections officer knows the danger of not searcing body cavities. It's standard procedure when incarcerating a criminal.

If the TSA is acting in good faith then why have they lef such a glaring hole*
in their procedures. If they did not realise there was such a hole, then they are so grossly incompatant, they provide no security anyway.

*(no pun intended)
TSA also does not conduct 100% screening of airport workers.

I can't answer why TSA does the things they do but if as Pistole has stated that these screening procedures are vital to our safety then some major threat must be afoot.

I for one do not trust the expertise of TSA to interdict that threat.

If this is all just a smoke screen then people are in fact being molested by TSA.

It is either one are the other.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:22 am

Sigh

It's time to cash in your tickets, take the train, drive or just not travel. TSA is telling us that commercial air is dangerous, I suggest we listen to TSA.
There are people (such as myself) who really don't have viable options to flying.

Isn't this a forum for frequent fliers? I'm already leery of air travel and I'm nervous as a cat whilst zooming through the air in an aluminum cigar with fuel-laden wings and uninspected cargo. Why add to the angst?

Of course, I would STOP flying if that was an option, but here in Virginia, Amtrak is abysmal, and car travel is excruciatingly slow and difficult (and potentially dangerous) for older women such as myself. I have a *terrible* time with falling asleep at the wheel after 3-4 hours of driving.

My point is, those of us who have to fly frequently already dread it enough. How about we look at ways to fix the existing problem without beating up on people who have to fly?

Until I have sufficient savings in place to retire, I must work and for now, that means I must fly.

Give us frequent fliers a little break, eh?

Rose
Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:31 am
Suspended

I was thinking... private jets for everyone?

...here's how I see it working. Instead of buying a ticket, you buy a membership in Kettle Jets Executive Air... which just HAPPENS to cover the time and route you want to fly on.

...works for serving alcohol in dry counties, I'm tellin' ya! Mr. Braniff, are you listening?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by WhitePlains
Assuming you are serious, Take a Lufthansa Star alliance ticket.

Toronto-Frankfurt (LH)
Frankfurt-Dublin (LH)
Dublin-Frankfurt-Singapore (LH)
Singapore-Frankfurt (LH)
frankfurt-Toronto. (LH)

The ticket would be about the same, if not cheaper, than any US based carrier. Toronto has a LOT of international flights out of it.
Yes I was serious - but you missed my point... I KNOW how to arrange flights - I've been at this 35 years - the question was to the OP - how do I achieve that trip WITHOUT flying? Car? Train? Boat? Not fit enough to swim. As yet undelivered Teleportation device?

Flying isn't an optional mode of transportation - it's my only mode of transportation on many trips.

AND the reality is - what the TSA do 'here' the security folks do elsewhere.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:36 am

Programs: CO Platinum
This forum is full of people that must fly as part of their job. People that do not want to be violated every time they have to go to the airport for their job.

You would probably tolerate sexual harassment at a client site, because going to the client is part of the job. And everybody has to work, right.

Everyone here want to fix the problem. What part of that don't you get???

Originally Posted by RosemaryT
There are people (such as myself) who really don't have viable options to flying.

Isn't this a forum for frequent fliers? I'm already leery of air travel and I'm nervous as a cat whilst zooming through the air in an aluminum cigar with fuel-laden wings and uninspected cargo. Why add to the angst?

Of course, I would STOP flying if that was an option, but here in Virginia, Amtrak is abysmal, and car travel is excruciatingly slow and difficult (and potentially dangerous) for older women such as myself. I have a *terrible* time with falling asleep at the wheel after 3-4 hours of driving.

My point is, those of us who have to fly frequently already dread it enough. How about we look at ways to fix the existing problem without beating up on people who have to fly?

Until I have sufficient savings in place to retire, I must work and for now, that means I must fly.

Give us frequent fliers a little break, eh?

Rose
Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by mulieri
This forum is full of people that must fly as part of their job. People that do not want to be violated every time they have to go to the airport for their job.

You would probably tolerate sexual harassment at a client site, because going to the client is part of the job. And everybody has to work, right.

Everyone here want to fix the problem. What part of that don't you get???
No, that should not be tolerated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.