Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2011, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prushing
Got randomly selected again at IND yesterday. I was actually allowed to watch my belongings and the a nice old TSA woman moved the barricade so I could watch them better, this was a first at IND. Then the NOS TSA frisker almost hit me when she somehow released the barricade strap.

Then my molester showed up but wanted to leave my stuff on the belt and I didn't want to. So he called a code "Green" and supervisor, my normal shadow (supervisor who usually follows me through the screening) wasn't there. Another passenger tried to take one of my laptops while we were waiting for a supervisor, claiming he was checking to make sure he picked up his correct laptop even though I put my bags and shoes around my laptops to help separate them.

My pat down was quick and actually didn't molest me. I wish the TSA would get their policies straight and make sure all their employees knew them. Other than stupidity of the whole thing, this week was better than most.
I don't think TSA can get their policies straight because TSA does not know what their policies are. Seriously, I really don't think anyone in TSA knows what standardization is, how to supervise employees or run an effective operation.

The evidence for my beliefs the reports from travelers who report the never ending problems caused by TSA.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; May 20, 2011 at 2:48 pm
Old May 20, 2011, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chollie
IIRC, that picture is a bit misleading. It's a bit hard to see, but you can tell by the snap on her skirt where the waistband is. I believe the skirt was several inches higher when she tried to board. She pulled it down as far as she could for this picture. Also her top exposed her middle when she tried to board.
Interesting comment her lawyer made in the interview, he said if Paris Hilton walked on board wearing the same outfit, Southwest employees would be swarming all over her helping her to her seat and getting drinks for her.

Mr. Elliott
Old May 20, 2011, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Elliott
Interesting comment her lawyer made in the interview, he said if Paris Hilton walked on board wearing the same outfit, Southwest employees would be swarming all over her helping her to her seat and getting drinks for her.

Mr. Elliott
I was thinking the same thing. What if it was Paris Hilton, Lady Gaga or some other celebrity? The fashion today is drifting toward more revealing clothing and the government has no right to dictate fashion, especially if it covers all the parts and is somewhat decent. Seriously, the scanners see through clothing, the tsa touches most of a passenger's body and suddenly they are worried about revealing clothing?!!!
Old May 20, 2011, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by goalie
Bolding mine: Looks like this guy didn't

Is he finished, just getting started, or was it so good for both of them that the TSO decided to propose on the spot?
Old May 20, 2011, 7:29 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Is he finished, just getting started, or was it so good for both of them that the TSO decided to propose on the spot?
I go with propose as it sure looks like he's pulling the ring out of his pocket

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I don't think TSA can get their policies straight because TSA does not know what their policies are. Seriously, I really don't think anyone in TSA knows what standardization is, how to supervise employees or run an effective operation.

The evidence for my beliefs the reports from travelers who report the never ending problems caused by TSA.
Yup ^. Run the TSA was run the same way McDonalds® runs their stores so you know what you will get each and every time (I'll have a number 666: a Big Mac™, a large fries, a Sprite™ and an enhanced pat down please )

Originally Posted by Mr. Elliott

Mr. Elliott
Not me! If that happened, I'd throw her skanky a$$ off the plane for interfering with a flight crew
Old May 20, 2011, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
I go with propose as it sure looks like he's pulling the ring out of his pocket

Yup ^. Run the TSA was run the same way McDonalds® runs their stores so you know what you will get each and every time (I'll have a number 666: a Big Mac™, a large fries, a Sprite™ and an enhanced pat down please )

Not me! If that happened, I'd throw her skanky a$$ off the plane for interfering with a flight crew
I know it is not TSS but I consider Paris Hilton a skank.
Old May 20, 2011, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
What is the TSA checking for.. dirty underneaths?
Old May 20, 2011, 9:31 pm

Funny, isn't it? McDonald's employees get less pay, less opportunity for advancement, weaker benefits, and they do not get 3 hours of paid training per week, but they still seem to be able to produce a consistent product.

I don't think they draw on a more experienced or educated employee base.

But they definitely have a training and management program that functions way better than TSA's.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by average_passenger
There is no law against not wearing underwear, especially if you are wearing clothing covering you!!!
Yes but remember TSA makes up there own pretend laws that passengers must follow or they get DY...T.

So on the street yes what you say is true.

At the TSA checkpoint I am not so certain that is the case.

I mean there are passengers who have stripped down to their underwear and after being seen pretty naked by the TSA screeners have been told to put their clothes back on so the TSA screener can then pat them down. So I could see a TSA Screener telling a passenger they can't be screened due to being indecently dressed so they must either change into more appropriate clothing or come back tomorrow when they are properly clothed. Because TSA's policy is to keep those terrorist... I mean the passengers guessing about what they must be put through to get on the plane in the name of security.

Last edited by Lara21; May 20, 2011 at 11:06 pm
Old May 23, 2011, 1:35 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Lara21
Originally Posted by average_passenger
My point was that a female should wear a sheer, almost see through short dress (but not too short and not too tight) with nothing on underneath to TRY TO AVOID the scanner or a very heavy pat-down. Anyone tso with common sense and eyes that work would be able to see that there was nothing hidden underneath. ...
I mean there are passengers who have stripped down to their underwear and after being seen pretty naked by the TSA screeners have been told to put their clothes back on so the TSA screener can then pat them down. ...
average_passenger, I highlighted the part where your logic breaks down. The TSA does not pay people to have "common sense." As evidence of Lara's point, recall this incident from, well, a month ago:

Originally Posted by sobetraveler
...At that point, my wife took off her wrap dress, put it with her carry-on on the conveyer belt, and wearing a bikini and tennis socks, offered to walk through the metal detector.

The TSA agent looked at her, said that was fine, and waved her through, and she walked through, her necklace set off the detector.

Now, had the necklace not set off the detector, she would have put her wrap dress back on and continued on to her flight... but alas, this simple mistake set off a chain of events.

After the buzzer went off, she took off her necklace and was going to walk back through but at that moment the luggage x-ray guy looked over and said "Maam, where are your clothes?".

She said, "they are in there..." pointing to the x-ray machine, and he said "you have to put your clothes back on".

She replied, "I'm not talking to you, I'll talk to a supervisor" and readied herself to go back through the metal detector.

At that point the x-ray guy started talking to the TSA agent who was fine with the bikini, telling him "you cant let her through, I'm just trying to protect you, she's not supposed to wear that, etc.."

Immediately, other TSA agents (4 males), all began telling my wife's TSA agent that it was ok to let her though.

So, at that point, it was 5 males for the bikini walk-thru, and 1 male who wanted my wife to put her clothes back on, so she could have a pat-down/feel-up.

At that point, a female TSA agent came over and said, "maam, you have to put your clothes on".

she was forced to put her clothes back on so they could touch her.
There's more - check out the link... Common sense has fled the country.
Old May 24, 2011, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My Latest Approach For Self-Opting Out

Dulles -- Birmingham (BMH): I am going to fly in a 2005 Toyota Tacoma Pick-up. Ground speed: approx 70 mph. 720 miles; just under 12 hours. ...and BMH doesn't even have Cancer machines.
Old May 24, 2011, 9:11 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
More on the Rapicancermaker® 1000:
Investor's Business Daily 5-24-11
How The Radiation Lobby Puts Air Travelers At Risk
Why would TSA expose low-risk passengers to radiation instead of just profiling high-risk passengers? Muslim pressure groups? No, another lobby's behind this outrage.
Chertoff would rather we all be treated like terrorists — and he's willing to expose us to radiation in the process.
DHS is forcing us to possibly kill ourselves slowly to prevent Muslim terrorists from killing us quickly. And all because DHS officials-turned-lobbyists want to make a buck?
This writer has his head on straight.
http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnal...rs-At-Risk.htm
Good to see more sources picking up on this ^^
Old May 24, 2011, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Wimpie
More on the Rapicancermaker® 1000:
Investor's Business Daily 5-24-11
How The Radiation Lobby Puts Air Travelers At Risk
This writer has his head on straight.
http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnal...rs-At-Risk.htm
Good to see more sources picking up on this ^^
I suspect some of this comes up when someone who flies regularly gets his/her curiosity aroused (rumors, overhead conversations, whatever) and does a little research, expecting to be reassured that independent experts have said the machines are ok.

Unfortunately, the research is more unsettling than otherwise. My concern increased a great deal when TSA made it clear that no outside, truly independent organization will be allowed to test, review and publish an evaluation.

And not allowing TSOs to wear badges (or installing them in strategic areas in close proximity to the machines) - that really concerns me.
Old May 25, 2011, 5:32 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Screener at IAD got surley today when I insisted on new gloves for the grope
Old May 25, 2011, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Screener at IAD got surley today when I insisted on new gloves for the grope
I had them swarming me when I insisted on new gloves AND that he test them first. That was was above his decision-making authority.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.