Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:07 am

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Originally Posted by squatch
....one of the BDL screening areas has a nude-o-scope and one does not. i do not fly through BDL very often, but obviously i chose the wrong one. i won't make that mistake next time.
BDL has two CP in Terminal A and both are thoroughly infested with blue boxes. I hadn't heard or seen of any BSX use there yet (training/deployment issue?) so they were active when you went through then as Darth V. says, this battle station is fully operational. The other day all were roped off. (Terminal B is closed to air travel, pending destruction.)

added later: There are FT & Media reports that indicate that the BSX are operational at BDL on a part-time basis. Staff training is continuing and as this progresses, operational status will approach the possibility of 100%. The main CP in terminal A has 5 lanes, the minor CP has 2 lanes. At both CP's there is a cubicle with translucent glass walls, similar in appearance to those in use as operator areas at other airport CP's The door of the one near the 2 lane CP was open the other day and did not contain any equipment inside. This may indicate a slim chance for the possibility of a self-opt out for a continued period of time at the smaller CP, unless all the monitor screens for all the BSX boxes are at the main CP and commands are being radioed back and forth. If/Once they populate this smaller area's 'office' then they will be processing here. Use of the smaller CP is valid, as it is closer to the concourse with gates 20-30 (American, inc Admirals Club; Air Canada, others). Either CP provides access to all the gates in terminal A.

Last edited by reft; Dec 30, 2010 at 11:55 am Reason: add last paragraph
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:19 am

12/23 - DEN - approx. 6:30am - Colorado Flag C/P: All lines were up an running but only 3 of them had a MMW, We chose a line that did not have a MMW and went through the WTMD with no problems, bags cleared x-ray and we were off to the shuttle.

12/26 - SEA - approx. 1pm - Main C/P: All lanes seem to have a NoS. It was hard to tell if they were operational but it didn't look like it. Picked a lane and crossed our fingers, but the NoS there wasn't in use the whole time it was in our sight. Our carry-on roller bag had to be inspected and a couple of items were pulled out for a separate run-through of the X-ray, a thick book, my wife's battery charger and its power supply, and a cheeseboard we got as a gift. The security person looking at the bag figured it was the cheeseboard that caused the alarm, who knew what a piece of wood could do! Both the separate items and the full bad were re-scanned with no problems. While standing there we oticed that almost every carry-on roller bag was getting additional screening, so I'm wondering if this was just a new wrinkle in security. On the way out I noticed that the center NoS did seem to be operational with additional pat-downs going on, but the ones on either side (including the one in the lane we went through) seemed to be shut down.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:52 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH GLD, AA 1MM, SPG, UA, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by madfuskills
My parents flew out of BNA on 12/22 (I wasn't with them) and they were prepared to opt out if selected for the scanner.

Both of them were selected and when they said that they wanted to opt-out they were told that they couldn't! So, they went on through the scanners even though my mom's doc told her not to.
Welcome to FT, madfuskills! The screener (we call 'em barkers) who refused to let your parents opt-out was in flagrant violation of TSA policy. TSA must let you opt-out.

If you have the time, I'd file a complaint with the TSA and, more important, with the director of BNA airport to let them know. If you know the date, checkpoint, and approximate time they went through, that's even better.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:49 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, IHG Status-of-the-Day, Avis First. **Freedom fighter: One grope at a time.**
Opted out today at SAT

Earlier today I opted out of the cancer-causing NoS at SAT. It appeared that everyone was being directed to them. I was told to stand next to one while I waited for a female assist.

After several minutes I asked if I could stand somewhere else while I was waiting so I didn't have to stand next to the backscatter. During this time my belongings were out of my sight for several minutes. The screener called again for female assist and I was met by a female screener and told to walk around the WTMD to meet her for the screening. (Around it? Go figure.) By this time all my belongings were gathered up by other screeners wearing "used" gloves.They were brought to the table next to me.

Finally the young female TSA started giving me the spiel. She asked about sensitive areas and I told her my neck and my resistance were sensitive. Then she asked if I wanted a private screening and I said I preferred to have witnesses. She said "I asked you if you wanted a private screening." I replied No. I don't want anything in private. I want witnesses if I am going to get groped. She didn't seem too thrilled with my response.

She then proceeded to rub every part of my body, including a nice push against my resistance. To be fair, she was careful of my neck, and I was grateful since I am still very sensitive as I am still recovering from my cancer surgery. While she was feeling up "the girls" I told her I have thyroid cancer - the kind often caused by radiation exposure as a child. I also told her the cumulative effect of radiation can cause sterility.

Looking at her with a worried "mom" face I told her I felt sorry for her mom. My mother she asked? "Yes, your mother. You have to stand next to this radiation everyday. Because of it your mother may never know the joy of holding your children. I feel bad for you and her. Bless your hearts." The screener didn't say another word, finished up and sent me on my way.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:08 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by CavePearl
"Yes, your mother. You have to stand next to this radiation everyday. Because of it your mother may never know the joy of holding your children. I feel bad for you and her. Bless your hearts." The screener didn't say another word, finished up and sent me on my way.
+100000 ^^

I make a point of ruining their day EVERY CHANCE I GET!

Don't let them think it's OK!
Old Jan 6, 2011, 1:47 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold (first time 2015!) - DL
PHX terminal 2 AS heading to the the 8:20 to SEA. Security lanes were almost empty so lots of TSA with nothing to do. Aprx 1 person coming through per minute so no lines at all and everybody was being directed to the scanner. When it was my turn I headed for the magnetometer and the TSA waived me over to the body scanner and I ask for a hand search. He looked at me with great surprise like "your kidding right?" look on his face and when he saw I wasnt walking through he called for 2 other TSA agents. One of the agents standing no more than 6 feet from me yells almost at the top of his lungs "Your scared of it huh?" I replied yes. Now we are 3 feet apart and he yells "Do you know somebody who died from it?" I replied no but I don't want to be the first one. All the time I'm wondering why he is literally yelling so much so that people at the coffee shop 100 feet away are turning around and looking. The two TSA agents are scoffing and laughing as they walk me to the inspection area and they acted like I was really hassling them making them hand search me. One guy says "you know these are completely safe" and I said actually the tests performed for the TSA merely determined exposure amounts but never determined if those amounts were safe. He then said "you get more radiation from flying than you get from the scanner, well in the daytime that is" I replied yes I know (I guess they didn't realize I had booked a night flight So now I'm getting the interview and the last question is "are you having a good day?" I replied yes (wondering why the hell they asked) and again they are still talking near the top of their lungs (do they have to yell so that the supervisor can hear what they are saying?) Ok so now the search (I'm wearing Tommy Bahama swim trunks and a short sleeve silk shirt not tucked in and I'm 5'10" 230 lbs so if I was carrying ANYTHING you would see it) The TSA finds my cash, credit card and ID in a pocket and asks me to remove it so I pull it out (maybe $1500 loose cash and my ID etc) and he yells "whoa thats a lotta cash your carrying you would think you were going to Vegas, what are you doing with all that cash?" I really felt violated at this point because now the whole crowd knew I was the guy carrying what the TSA guy thought was a lotta cash. This is the first time I've opted out and I must say I was astonished at the "attitude" I got from TSA I would have never thought it was such a big deal...I'm still having a great day and I couldnt wait to post what happened on Flyer Talk
Old Jan 6, 2011, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Shouting about how much cash you are carrying not only violates your privacy but exposes you to a significant risk of robbery. I would strongly object.

Bruce
Old Jan 6, 2011, 7:23 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by bdschobel
Shouting about how much cash you are carrying not only violates your privacy but exposes you to a significant risk of robbery. I would strongly object.

Bruce
+1. And I would have done so on-the-spot.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I guess you could say that I took one for the team today...

Getting to SJC yesterday, I knew that they were running the Backscatter, and watched the checkpoint for quite a while. During that time, almost every pax was being sent through the NoS

This morning, they had both the WTMD and BKSX running, but only one lane open, so I positioned myself at the WTMD. Of course, everybody, except airport employees, was being sent through the NoS, so I said "I opt-out". when I did, the moat dragons eyes lit up, and said "do you understand that by opting-out, you are subject to a full-body pat down?". When I said yes, she demanded my age, and i basically told her that her question was irrelevant, and that I would be opting-out.. I was directed to stand next to the WTMD/NoS combo, and wait for the "male assist".. When I said that I could not see my items coming out of the X-ray, I was not allowed to stand near them, and even asking for a supervisor was refused.

When I was able to proceed through the WTMD, the clerk picked up my bin and bag, and walked them over to the table that I was standing in front of. He did change his gloves, and commenced with the pat-down.. It was not as invasive as they used to be, and I barely felt any pressure down under..

Once I was done, I was able to grab a comment card, but was unable to catch the name of the clerk that harassed me for opting-out.. Hopefully I can call and give them info about her..

Overall, the clerk that did the pat down was sort of friendly, but the clerk that was at the WTMD was a &$@!*.

Not good PR for TSA when they harass people for opting-out.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:09 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, IHG Status-of-the-Day, Avis First. **Freedom fighter: One grope at a time.**
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies

I was directed to stand next to the WTMD/NoS combo, and wait for the "male assist".. When I said that I could not see my items coming out of the X-ray, I was not allowed to stand near them, and even asking for a supervisor was refused.
That is exactly what happened to me at SAT. They had me stand right next to the nasty machine while I was waiting. I couldn't see my belongings at all. I asked several times if I could stand elsewhere and the only response from the TSA was calling for a female assist. Since we are supposed to always be in sight of our belongings, how is this to be fixed? SATTSO?
Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:47 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I guess you could say that I took one for the team today...

Getting to SJC yesterday, I knew that they were running the Backscatter, and watched the checkpoint for quite a while. During that time, almost every pax was being sent through the NoS.
SJC Terminal A (I assume?) doesn't have many options during the slow times. Terminal B is usually running WTMDs in all lanes with backscatters in one or two lanes, so there's a little more opportunity for a self-directed opt-out. As for terminal A, I didn't get any grief about opting out back in June, but this was right after they were installed at SJC and way before all of the bad press.

Now for my story...

I opted out at SFO T3 this morning. When I arrived the MMW machines were in full swing. I picked the lanes that looked the busiest, hoping we could time it. Unfortunately, there was a double fail, a bag check before me plus someone with an orthopedic device. (Which one of you was it? ). So, as I tried to go through the WTMD, the moat dragon was ushering me to the circular "viewing booth". I said, "I opt-out." I was traveling with my girlfriend, and she walked behind me through the WTMD without a peep from the TSOs. This was a bit interesting since she didn't get ushered in since the MMW remained empty during this time and there wasn't anyone behind us in line.

While I waited about 2 minutes for the male assist, my girlfriend had already collected my things, including my shoes. This was her first time traveling by air in the US, so she was unfamiliar with the liquid baggie, shoe carnival, and the NOSs. She also didn't know my items were supposed to stay in the bins while I waited for my assist.

The TSO doing the freedom patdown asked my reason for opting out so they could record it for statistics. I said that the TSA didn't need to see my junk today. The TSO got a laugh out of that one. I don't have a safety concern with the MMW machines, but I do believe that is one of the reasons they have on their statistics sheet if you state it. I will certainly tell them safety is my primary concern if I ever opt out of a backscatter machine, however.

The patdown was uneventful and not as bad as I had thought it was going to be based on other reports. The only difference was it was front of hand sliding versus the back of hand when I last opted out in June. I had already tucked in my shirt for the anticipated inside the waistband check. (This actually isn't a new procedure because I remember the private security contractors doing the waistband checks way back in early 2002 at various airports.) Overall, there was no retaliatory action, no bag check, no touching of junk, no drama, and no attitude from me or the TSO. I suppose it's the best you can hope for in today's world of US flying.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Majuki
The TSO doing the freedom patdown asked my reason for opting out so they could record it for statistics.
"None of your &^%*ing business."
Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:56 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by n4zhg
"None of your &^%*ing business."
Because I still can.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by sbagdon
Because I still can.
'Because I must'

It angers me that so many who are physically unable to use those machines are treated as criminals just because they have no choice whether they can or cannot use those machines.

I admire anyone who stands up for their rights and who does opt out, but I am furious that TSA seems to be incapable of distinguishing between those who make a choice and those who are unable to make a choice.

I also feel that collecting data such as age, reason, etc is wrong. If someone says that they cannot use the machine, they cannot use the machine.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: Independent Libertarian
Rhinestone Cowboy!

Originally Posted by slcpunk
I usually avoid the nude-o-scope but last month somehow ended up in the fateful lane with no chance of escape. Was considering requesting a pat-down but the line was long, I was running late etc. I step through the scanner and the TSO says into her radio, very professionally, "BLING". I look at her quizzically. She smiled and said that sequins on my shirt would distort the scanner image.

I now wear my bling every time I fly preventing TSA from saving a crystal clear image of my breasts for posterity. Nothing like a $20 solution to the nude-o-scope. Maybe I need a full on rhinestone outfit...

Clearly no women on THAT product development team.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do you think a western shirt with rhinestones all over the chest and pockets fare? If you have nothing on underneath I think it would be difficult for them to have you remove it......but who knows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.