Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

No Fee Amtrak Mastercard ---> United or Continental Freq. Flyer Points!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2001, 7:55 am
Original Poster

The new no-fee Amtrak Platinum Plus Guest Rewards Mastercard looks really interesting. Apparently you earn 1 Guest Rewards point for every dollar charged (2 points for every charge at Amtrak).

Then, when you have accumulated enough, you can transfer 5000 Amtrak Guest Rewards to either 5000 United Mileage Plus points or 5000 Continental OnePass points.

So, I am going to cancel my Continental One-Pass credit card (as it has an annual fee). In my opinion, this is the best no-annual fee card (Mastercard/Visa) out there that earns miles.

More details can be found here:
http://www.amtrakguestrewards.com/Offers/mbna.cfm

(The link above is NOT a referral link, I do not benefit at all from anybody clicking on it... I'm just providing this tidbit of info to the Flyertalk community)

p.s. - If anybody sees any downside to this, please let me know.

[This message has been edited by steve100 (edited 11-17-2001).]
Old Nov 17, 2001, 8:38 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I agree with you. The only potential downside that I see is that Amtrak is in a fair amount of financial trouble.

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/courant...al_wall_1.html

However, I am also seriously considering switching. The amtrak points can also be converted to Hilton points on a 2-1 basis.
Old Nov 18, 2001, 10:31 am

I have the card, and my points from the first month's of use haven't posted.

I think points post really slowly so be prepared for non-instant gratification in this arena.
Old Nov 24, 2001, 3:35 am

MBNA has some really good customer service, to boot.
Old Nov 24, 2001, 7:58 am

Well, I got the card. When I receive it I will chop up my Chase Continental Card. The only bummer is that it's a Mastercard only. I have an MC; need a Visa.
Old Nov 25, 2001, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Highgamma if you are interested in Hilton HHonours points I would get the Citibank Hilton HHonours Visa rather than the Amtrak card. You earn 2 points per $ (3 pts on HH charges), no annual fee, and no hassle of transferring points - plus you can get it in a VISA.

------------------
I Love New York
Old Nov 30, 2001, 2:19 pm

Are there any monthly or annual limits on the amount of miles that can be earned or transferred?
Old Nov 30, 2001, 2:55 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Redhead:
Highgamma if you are interested in Hilton HHonours points I would get the Citibank Hilton HHonours Visa rather than the Amtrak card.
</font>
Thanks, Redhead. I'm actually looking for the option between Continental and Hilton, depending upon what I need. Can I transfer points to Continental miles?
Old Nov 30, 2001, 3:11 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by highgamma:
Can I transfer points to Continental miles?</font>
Yes, you can, although the exchange rate is lousy. For more information see http://www.hilton.com/en/hhonors/rew...change_2.jhtml .
Old Dec 1, 2001, 3:46 pm

Yeah, that is a pretty lousy exchange rate for Hilton into airmiles. I'll probably stick with the Amtrak card. While the 2-for-1 for Hilton points isn't as good as a Hilton card, 1-for-1 conversion to Continental and United is a great option. I can even use 25,000 points and get a free week with Hertz.

I don't travel as much as most on this board, but I do charge! The flexibility of awards is more important to me.
Old Dec 2, 2001, 8:45 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by highgamma:
Well, I got the card. When I receive it I will chop up my Chase Continental Card. The only bummer is that it's a Mastercard only. I have an MC; need a Visa.</font>
Just curious, Why?

Most places that accept MC, accept Visa as well.
Old Dec 2, 2001, 11:06 am

I've seen some promotions for Visa that don't apply to MC (e.g., Hilton promo). I already have a Aadvantage MC. If I'm going to have another card, I'd want it to be a Visa.
Old Dec 2, 2001, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL, HH, & IHG Dia; Bonvoy Titan
Mountain Trader, there is a limit of 100,000 points per year earnable on this card. That is revealed in the little rule book that accompanies the card.
Old Dec 2, 2001, 9:51 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sweet Willie:
Just curious, Why?

Most places that accept MC, accept Visa as well.
</font>
I was at Sam's club this weekend, got the shock of my life. they are accept Visa, No MC.

I always thought visa and MC is pratically the same.
Old Dec 3, 2001, 4:04 pm

your lucky-- my Sam's only takes Discover!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bellwilliam:
I was at Sam's club this weekend, got the shock of my life. they are accept Visa, No MC.

I always thought visa and MC is pratically the same.
</font>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.