Wiki Posts
Search

Canceling a trip booked with UR points

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2023, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP 4MM, UA 1MM, DL 1MM
Canceling a trip booked with UR points

I looked for a thread but couldn’t find one (hopefully I didn’t miss it), but does anyone else think it’s an unbelievable hassle to cancel a trip booked through Chase Ultimate Rewards and get a flight credit that you can’t apply online for a new ticket? It seems like you have to call and have the call center agent book you a new ticket. Am I doing something wrong? You also seem to lose any leftover value from your old ticket if your new ticket costs less than your original ticket. Had I booked a $500 ticket with the airline and canceled and rebooked a $400 ticket, I should have a $100 credit in my wallet with that airline. Chase says I lose that $100 if my ticket costs less.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 8:53 pm

Hmm... Did you ask for a re-book or a cancel?

My experience was I was able to get all UR points back when I cancelled my flight during the beginning of Covid (2020 March-ish) even though it was a bit hassle. Even I did that within 24 hours, the system won't let me cancel but just ask me to call them, but no one was able to answer the phone. I realized they must be too busy to response all of the contacts (emails/calls/etc) at that situation, so I just collect all of the screenshots to prove I did cancel the ticket within 24 hours. I tried following up a couple times, but not able to get any response either. After about 2 months, when I was about to give up, I got an email response and get my UR points back. Somehow a happy ending, but it wasn't a smooth journey though.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 7:03 am
Original Poster

I canceled the ticket (not within 24 hours) but well prior to the flight
Old Feb 5, 2023, 9:04 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Receiving a credit or a refund is determined by the terms of the fare purchased, not by the travel agency's whim. The fact that the ticket was purchased with points is invisible to the airline, they were paid with money.

Last edited by mia; Feb 5, 2023 at 9:15 am
Old Feb 5, 2023, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Receiving a credit or a refund is determined by the terms of the fare purchased, not by the travel agency's whim. The fact that the ticket was purchased with points is invisible to the airline, they were paid with money.
I’m sorry, maybe I was unclear. I’m not looking for a refund. I just wanted to apply the flight credit towards a new ticket which you can’t seem to accomplish online using the Chase portal. You have to speak with an agent to do it and you don’t get any residual credit if the new fare you book is lower. Chase UR 3rd party vendor said you lose the unused value of your credit.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 12:49 pm
mia

Originally Posted by sportsguymichael
I....new ticket which you can’t seem to accomplish online using the Chase portal. You have to speak with an agent ....
This matches my understanding. I believe it is because the agent needs to verify that the new ticket meets the airline's requirements for using the credit.

Sorry, I do not know if the residual value is a cxLoyalty policy or the airline's policy.

Which airline issued the ticket?
Old Feb 5, 2023, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

American Airlines
Old Feb 5, 2023, 1:30 pm
mia

Have you asked AA if they will take over the transaction so that you can deal with them rather than the travel agency? There would be a fee for this, $50 is typical. I do not know if they will do this in every instance or after the original booking has been cancelled, but you can ask.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

I can ask AA. Thanks for the suggestion
Old Sep 25, 2023, 11:34 am

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by sportsguymichael
I can ask AA. Thanks for the suggestion
did you ever get this resolved? I’m in the same boat and my credit is expiring in 3 weeks. 🤦🏼‍♀️
Old Sep 25, 2023, 12:33 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
I was able to get the travel credit deposited into my Alaska account
Old Sep 25, 2023, 12:38 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
I was able to get the travel credit deposited into my Alaska account
thank you for responding! Did you just call Alaska directly or did you go through Chase UR? My credit is through UR with AA.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 12:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

First I cancelled through Chase, and called Alaska to take over the credit. I did not get charged a fee, but I am an elite so it is possible that it was waived.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
First I cancelled through Chase, and called Alaska to take over the credit. I did not get charged a fee, but I am an elite so it is possible that it was waived.
I apologize in advance for raising this thread from the dead. How/what exactly was the process here? Cancel through Chase, then what did you ask Alaska exactly? I am new to all of this so just want to make sure I am understanding correctly.

-J.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:16 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I apologize in advance for raising this thread from the dead. How/what exactly was the process here? Cancel through Chase, then what did you ask Alaska exactly? I am new to all of this so just want to make sure I am understanding correctly.

-J.
You need to cancel with Chase (can’t remember if this can be done online or if that’s why I called) and then call AS to let them know you want them to take over the ticket
GW McLintock likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.