Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 14, 2022, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Chase United Explorer Card

There are several personal versions of the United Airlines card and a Business Card option as well.

Information on the checked luggage benefit can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...gage-fees.html
Print Wikipost

Chase United Explorer card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Anyone here know what's the highest ever SUB for the Explorer card?
70k...I think. Usually offers 60k.
The Quest (80k bonus) and Club (100k bonus) are higher tier. I can't see the Explorer beating their SUB any time soon.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Anyone here know what's the highest ever SUB for the Explorer card?
70k according to this website.

https://www.uscreditcardguide.com/ch...r-credit-card/
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
70k...I think. Usually offers 60k.
The Quest (80k bonus) and Club (100k bonus) are higher tier. I can't see the Explorer beating their SUB any time soon.
The Quest had a higher SUB at launch with a total of 100k. I don't know the highest ever SUB for the Club Infinite. It's currently offering 100k.

Originally Posted by econ
Thanks! I'll keep this in mind from now on.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 11:33 pm

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
We had our unused passes become invalid when we tried to use them after the card was closed but before the expiration date. This was a couple of years ago, shortly after Chase switched to the digital pass. I don't have any recent, personal experience.
note also that you must be flying on a united flight to use them these days, so they are completely worthless for anyone who already has *AG status through a foreign airline.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone here thinks UA should have a grocery multiplier on its credit cards?

I'm sort of surprised that Chase and AC implemented a grocery multiplier on their credit card, and none of the Chase/UA credit cards have one. If UA wants me to use their cards, that would be a nice way to get me to use them.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
UA Select Visa (hasn’t been available in a long time; I downgraded mine last year) has 2X groceries. Also 2X on home improvement stores.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 10:36 am

Two years ago or more I opened a United Explorer card and go the bonus. I never used those points. If I close the card, do they take away the points? I called and asked a rep and they told me that they would take them away.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by rustyosaurus
Two years ago or more I opened a United Explorer card and go the bonus. I never used those points. If I close the card, do they take away the points? I called and asked a rep and they told me that they would take them away.
No, they won’t take the points out of your UA account. You may not get the points you “earned” since your last statement (not 100% sure on this).
Old Jan 8, 2022, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
UA Select Visa (hasn’t been available in a long time; I downgraded mine last year) has 2X groceries. Also 2X on home improvement stores.
Is it still possible to downgrade to?
Old Jan 8, 2022, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it still possible to downgrade to?
I don’t think so.

I am currently getting 3X MR (and often 4.5X MR) with my Amex Everyday Preferred for groceries. When my first year with that card is up, I will probably downgrade back to the NAF Everyday Amex. I might then buy a lot of my groceries with Safeway gift cards from Amazon. I can buy those with Amazon gift cards that earn me 5X UR at Office Max (and 2% Dosh cash back) or Staples. The office supply stores might even sell grocery store gift cards directly (I haven’t checked recently). Admittedly all this category shifting adds some effort compared to straight category multipliers on a credit card. But Chase/UA had the groceries multiplier in the past and presumably didn’t keep it for Explorer and Quest for a reason.

UA and Chase have also had some spend promos in the last few years that might make it worthwhile to shift some grocery spend to the Explorer card. E.g., currently this one:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33871235-post1188.html

$150 in groceries per month earns me 150 miles + 500 bonus miles. So 650 miles or 4.3 miles per dollar. Not earth shattering, but if you have no better spend to put on the card, it’s not bad.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
The various card offers have differing terms to earn your SUB. Read carefully.
60K miles and no AF the first year & $3000 spend is a very good offer for the Explorer card

https://creditcards.chase.com/travel...orer?CELL=6TKV
Old Jan 9, 2022, 2:13 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Right now its 60+10k for the explorer (3k$/3mo spend for 60, 10 for 6k in 6mo). 2500 miles extra if you enter a FA promocode: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase...-signup-bonus/

I signed up for the card again last week. I think this is the 4th time I'm getting the card... (always wait 2 years) Card showed up in my chase account the next day, and the two passes in my UA account.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 8:30 am

Downgrading a Chase United Explorer to Gateway then reapply for Explorer card, bonus?

I have a United Explorer, and the annual fee just hit. I was thinking of downgrading to Gateway, then applying for the Explorer card again for a bonus in 2 months or so.

I last received a United Explorer Bonus 4+ years ago, so the 24 month rule does not apply. But will having the Gateway prevent me from getting the Explorer Bonus? I would rather not cancel the current Explorer card just in case I have some trouble getting the Explorer again (I am below 5/24 now, but only just so I want to be careful in case I'm rejected).

Thanks
Old Jan 9, 2022, 2:37 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Chase United Explorer card

The thread has been split at year end. I have not yet copied over the Wikipost, because much of the content appears stale. I am not a United flyer and will not refresh the Wikipost. Please contact me if you wish to volunteer.

Last edited by mia; Jan 9, 2022 at 2:44 pm
Old Jan 9, 2022, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Right now its 60+10k for the explorer (3k$/3mo spend for 60, 10 for 6k in 6mo). 2500 miles extra if you enter a FA promocode: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase...-signup-bonus/

I signed up for the card again last week. I think this is the 4th time I'm getting the card... (always wait 2 years) Card showed up in my chase account the next day, and the two passes in my UA account.
That's too much spend for me. An extra 10K miles for an extra $3K spend. No thanks.

Last edited by philemer; Jan 9, 2022 at 3:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.